1911 Kimber Custom TLE RL II

Discussion in 'M1911' started by Bullsi, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Bullsi

Bullsi XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first gun was an XD 9mm. I have put over 4000 rounds through it and have NEVER had a feeding failure. I just purchased a kimber....took it to the range yesterday, shot 200 rounds and had approx. 8 feeding failures. Is this normal? Anyone experience this?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's normal with the POS magazine Kimber gives you. Do yourself a favor a buy some Wilson Combat magazines.

3. deepmarsh1

deepmarsh1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    X2 mine probably has 2k through it. Put a kimber mag in it, malf. Luckily they only come with one so you won't feel so bad when you throw it away. Wilson 47d or chip McCormick power 10 is all I run with no prob.

4. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The factory Kimber mag sucks. Go buy a Wilson Combat 47D or two. I run that mag in all of my 1911s. My Kimber Stainless II has well over 4k without a problem. Also, 1911s like to run wet so make sure it is well lubed.

5. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What exactly was the failure? Getting hung on the ramp? Going into the chamber? Happens with one mag or multiple? I also assume the gun was properly lubed and cleaned.

6. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    Yeah....the TYPE of failure will tell you volumes.

My TLE II ran fine right from the box and has never jammed. Granted...I never used the Kimber mag and only run Wilson 47Ds and use quality lubes.

-brickboy240

7. gischileu

gischileu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Kimbers are unpredictable as all get out. Some of them, like my Crimson Carry II, run fine - even with the POS Kimber mags. Others won't work reliably with the factory mags at all. I do know that if I was using the Kimber for a duty rig or for personal protection, it would have the Wilson Combat mags in it full time.

8. longtalltechsan

longtalltechsan XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    It may not be the mag. The factory mag that came with my Kimber worked fine. If it is a brand new gun, they are pretty tight from the factory with very tight tolerances. Shooting and cycling them will help. But definitely get some good mags too. Wilsons are good and so are Chip McCormick.

9. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    My TLE II ran 1005 right out of the box....using a Wilson 47D magazine.

Four years later and i still have no jams at all. Very accurate too.

I guess I got the only good Kimber! LOL

-brickboy240

10. icejava

icejava XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had the same issues with my Kimber. The main issues with Kimbers is the Mags and Extractors. The way I fixed it was this:

1) Get Wolff XP Recoil Spring
    2) Buy Kimber Pro-Tac Mags 8rd and only put 7 in it. (NOTE: these are NOT the factory mags, they are made by Checkmate).
    3) Adjust the extractor
    4) If all above does not work, replace extractor with Wilson Extractor.

I know everyone swears by the Wilson mags, but my Kimber DOES NOT like them. ETM or 47D. I personally don't like them that much since they have plastic followers... not good for locking the slide open.

Anyways, with the 4 items I mentioned above. My Kimber has had no failures in about 500+ rounds.

11. icejava

icejava XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, don't bother calling kimber tech support. They will just tell you its your ammo.

12. OldTimer

OldTimer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have all Kimber Pro-Tac / 8rd mags, with no problems. I was going to try Wilson but never had the need after the Pro-Tacs

13. Jrod45acp

Jrod45acp XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Between me and my wife we have ran 160 rounds through her Pro Carry, only two issues using 230 grain fmj blazers. Failure to return to battery once and FTF. Both were with the factory Kimber Mag, had two other Wilson Mags along with no issues from them. Could just be low round count as I have heard they need 4 - 5 hundred rounds to break in.

14. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Or, save all the hassle and get some checkmate 7 round mags with hybrid feed lips.

15. icejava

icejava XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe the Kimber Pro Tac-Mag are made by checkmate but they are the Wadecutter lips. I have CheckMate 8rd Hybrid feed lips and they have ZERO issues in all my 1911s.

For the Kimber owners. I agree with SonofOdin, Checkmate hybrid feed lip is the way to go! The Kimber Pro Tac-Mag are my second fav for my kimber.

But I guess I don't need to tell people this since Checkmate website is flooded with orders!! I can't seem to get my order in. :-(

16. joefan

joefan XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also have a 1911 Kimber Custom TLE RL II. I shot over 500 rounds of hardballs during the break-in period. It works fine with several feeding problems; it turns out to be a problem with a defective Wilson Combat 47D; got a replacement and it works fine.

However, my Kimber is very picky on JHP ammo. So far, it works flawlessly with Remington 230gr JHP, but have had issues with Federal Hydro Shock 230 gr and Speer Gold Dot 185 gr JHP. I called Kimber for tech support and the answer they gave me was that just stick with the JHP ammo that work; nothing can be done about it.

My personally observation is that any JHP ammo that are shorter than the Remington 230 gr JHP tend to have feeding issues....

I'm still trying to find another JHP ammo because I read bad reviews about Remington 230 gr JHP failed to expand upon impact; not a good choice for personal defense...

17. Brother_Bluto

Brother_Bluto XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw a few vids that claimed the problem with the stock mags was there was no "skirt" on the follower. I just picked up a SS Raptor II and the follower had the skirt. Anyone know if they changed the design, or if the skirt only comes on the SS mags? Put 200rnds through it so far with no issue. Have two WC mags on the way thought...