1911 ambi safety removal

Discussion in 'M1911' started by Mr_December10127, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mr_December10127

Mr_December10127 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchase a sig scorpion 1911 carry model and in the manual it states to strip the gun clean and Relube before firing so I sit myself down and start to field strip. Ok done with the slide, that was easy so I figured I'd take apart the frame and really get into it. One problem, the freakin ambi safety won't budge. Neither side wants to come loose! Getting frustrated I squirted a bit of oil down into everything and went to the range for a bit of therapy. I put about 150 rounds through it and then my frog lube showed up. Now I want to strip it down clean and Relube again and I still can't get the freakin safety to come off! Hammer is cocked and the safety was In between safe and fire while wiggling and pulling from either side or both sides at one point. Nothing! Does anybody have any suggestions that don't require any prying or minimal prying. It has a flat dark earth cerakote finish from the factory and I really don't want to scratch it up. Anything at this point would be a great help I want to be sure I get some frog lube on all the internals. It's worked great on my xd so far.

2. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    May or may not help.

Ambi Safety removal - 1911Forum

sig sauer 1911 ambi safety

I've never owned a Sig 1911.

My Kimber was tough to get off.
    The right side is held in by a pin that slides into a groove of the right side.

Single side hammer pin
    [​IMG]

Ambi hammer pin
    [​IMG]

You had to remove the left side to get the right side off.
    Check out those links and see if it helps.

If not, check out 1911forum.com and see if you can find more info on it.

Found this too..

http://boardreader.com/thread/Removing_thumb_safety_on_SIG_Sauer_1911_57wnX36rx1os.html

Thread: Removing thumb safety on SIG Sauer 1911

Started 1 year, 8 months ago by peter_nield
    Hi, I thought I would try to disassemble my new 1911 Target this evening but didn't get very far. I couldn't remove the thumb safety despite considerable wiggling, pushing the plunger back well out of the way and even tapping on the pin from the right side of the pistol with a brass mallet. The safety just wouldn't budge although it would quite happy engage and disengage. I had the slide removed ...

Reply 1: Removing thumb safety on SIG Sauer 1911
    bdavis replied 1 year, 8 months ago
    The safety should not be all of the way up. There is a notch about halfway between down and up where the thumb safety can be removed. Don't worry about the plunger all the plunger does is keep the safety down or up. Pull out on the safety as you move it from down to up and it should come out. Good luck

Reply 2: Removing thumb safety on SIG Sauer 1911
    peter_nield replied 1 year, 8 months ago
    Thank you sir, worked a treat.

3. Mr_December10127

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks that looks like it might be the issue. I can just barely get it to spread enough to see what looks like that pin. Unfortunately the left side is still tight and fighting me every step of the way. Oh well better luck tomorrow when I have more time. Thank you for your help my friend.

4. 1lowlife

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    No problem, I did add more to that post in case you didn't see it.
    Not sure if Sigs have the pin or not.
    Some 1911s have a tab on the right side that goes under a notch on the right grip.

[​IMG]

Some have the captive hammer pin..

[​IMG]

Some don't..

[​IMG]

Even the ones that aren't pinned can be a ***** to remove.
    I think a lot of it has to do with having the safety in the right position to pull it out.

Good luck..1LL

5. Mr_December10127

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Doesn't have the wing under the grip so I'm guessing it some form of Captive pin typ set up! I've heard people say sigs where tight, but man is it ever tight like prom night! My buddy's Springfield gi was a breeze compared to this thing but the whole gun in general seems a lot smoother and tighter than his gi was out of the box. Tomorrow looks like I might have some time at night to play gun mechanic and or reload a few rounds. We shall see. Again thank you, you have been very informative! I posted on another site first and it became sig bashing! I can't complain though, only issues where caused by a fat thumb grabbing the slide serrations! Apparently it doesn't like to go into battery if it rides my thumb! Haha! Guess I'm too used t my xd 40. I can't get my thumb up high enough for that to be a problem.

As a side note any recommendations on mags? One of the two factory mags started not locking back the slide, but it was extremely oily and dirty! It only started after 100 rds and accidentally hitting the new jersey sand wich is like beach sand. Haven't had a chance to shoot after cleaning it all out.

Also should I remove the msh before trying to take out the safety I tried both ways to no avail.

6. 1lowlife

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    I used this when I bought my first 1911 and found it helpful.
    I shows how to detail strip the slide and frame, as well as reassembly.

1911 Disassembly: Introduction

Frame..

1911 Disassembly: Detail Strip Frame

There is some helpful thumb safety removal info in this link.

My 1911 thumb safety

I bought some Metalform mags for my 9mm RIA Tactical and they ran just fine.
    I had no issues with the stock Checkmate mag it came with.

Tripps makes some great 1911 mags, but they aren't cheap.

Tripp Research, Inc. Online Store

7. Mr_December10127

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy crap! That freakin thing was tight! I got to mess with it for a bit last night. That thing did not want to budge but through a pair of extremely taped up pliers I was able to work it loose! Between the safety detent and the two halves being so tightly fit where they joined it was a huge pain in the ass! And the freakin series 80 safety parts blow! they make reassembly a bigger pain than it has to be!

Now that i got it torn down, wow! The entire trigger bow looks to have been media blasted to match the texture of the trigger itself! The gun could Definatly use a good trigger job but it still isn't bad at all how it is. For now she is all lubed up and ready to go. Thanks again for the help it is much appreciated.

8. scooterj

scooterj XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  9. anowal01

anowal01 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This video shows (at the 3 minute mark) the method I use that has worked on every Ambi I've ever had to get apart, no matter how tight. Instead of the end of a screwdriver, I use a rubber tipped hammer. Slide a business card under the right side and tap with hammer. Double card and repeat. Double double card and repeat and pull off. Usually the most time consuming part is finding a card to use, just keep a couple on your cleaning bench.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIETNijG-DM&feature=plcp"]Wilson Combat - Complete Disassembly of a 1911 - YouTube[/ame]