10/22 problems after new barrel & stock ?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by iCreek, Aug 29, 2009.

1. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I went to MidwayUSA's scratch and dent sale today.. Some awesome prices, well worth the 60 mile round trip. Ended up picking up a new stock and 18" bull barrell for $20 each for my old Ruger 10/22. The stock is the synthetic Fajen Legacy series with adjustable cheek rest and the bull barrel is an 18" Adams & Bennett.

It went together well, but now when I shoot the first shot just click, no fire, I have to drop the magazine, recock the slide, then it shoots. Same thing every time, feeds the round but will not fire a round with the mag in, and a few of the spent cases would not eject, I had to pry them out with a thin screw driver. I cleaned the barrel after initial assembly with some Hopps #9 and cotton pads, was already very clean. Do I maybe need to oil?

Anyone know what might be wrong?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. 9mmPhoenix

9mmPhoenix XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ask on rimfirecentral. they know everything and anything about the 10/22

3. carhartt

carhartt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Seems like I remember that the recoil isnt able to reset the firing pin. That would explain why you have to manually cock it each time. Maybe there is something in the new stock that is out of spec?

4. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Is the bolt closing all the way? If the barrel is twisted a little either direction the extractor wont go inside the barrel to pick up the next shell. Also, pressure would escape and not re-cycle the action.

5. bel970

bel970 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd recomend using a rod to remove the stuck shells. is the hammer not dropping or not cocking? is the ejector properly aligned with the barrel?. stock trigger group or aftermarket (adjustable sear?)? have you tried differant ammo?

first I'd reinstall the barrel make sure it's fully seated (had a lot of work to get the stock barrel out of mine and lots of polishing on the reciever to get the new one in, newer 10/22 with flat black finish).
    next I'd tear apart the trigger group, if it has an adjustable sear (powers custom) it may need some adjustment, the more you shorten the trigger pull the more difficult it becomes to reset the trigger especially after the shock of fireing. if factory just make sure everything is clean and lubed. take a close look at the stock, make sure it's not somehow forcing the mag to high or at an angle, preasure on the bolt may be slowing bolt and not traveling far enough to reset hammer, this shouldn't in theory be possible.

6. 1852legend

1852legend XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Damn wish I would have went to that. I have been looking for a bull barrel. If the very first round will not fire I dont think it could be a lack of recoil because you are cocking the gun when you pull back and release the bolt. Is it possible the firing pin is hitting the barrel instead of the round because the mag is pushing the bolt up slightly? Seems like I read about this happening on RFC.

7. Tally XD

Tally XD XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    That there sounds exactly like what I would recommend you looking for. I had almost the same problem with mine once I changed to a Hogue stock and Green Mountain bull barrel.

What I did was to remove the barrel again, make sure the notch for the extractor is smooth and burr free. Then make sure you exactly align the extractor notch to the extractor claw when you reassemble.

Remove the bolt assembly and check the extractor. It needs to be in good shape as well. I had to get a new extractor claw from Power Custom.

Also, the new barrel will likely have a tight chamber. I have had problems using 40gr bullets and try to always use 36gr or 38gr at the largest. I helped mine out a bit by polishing the chamber using a battery drill, brass .22LR bore brush chucked up in the drill and dipped lightly in metal polish compound. Make sure you go no deeper than just the chamber area and not into the rifling. You will know when it is enough by dropping a .22LR 40 grain bullet into the chamber and it should fall almost all the way in except for about the last 3/16".

8. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah I thought that, when it does shoot after manual cock, it does recoil the action and feed the next round, it appears to be closing the bolt but it just clicks, then once I manually cock the action, it then fires, usually, not every time.

I think it is closing all the way, I will pay more attention tomorrow. I removed the barrel again late this afternoon, it goes in tight, have to tap it with a mallet, and I did not look as close as I should have.

Good tip on the rod, makes more sense to push than pull. Not sure about the hammer or if the ejector is properly aligned with the barrel. It is all stock, and very old, 1966 model, not shot a bunch, but only cleaned for maintenance. I might polish the receiver a little by hand, so the new barrel slides in better, without as much force.

It was a great event, tons of deals. Not sure how I can tell if the firing pin is not hitting the 22lr and the barrel instead, I guess I could look at the first round after the click and see what it looks like (for marks).

I will pull the barrel tomorrow and make sure the notch is burr free, seems like it looked a little rough, if that is the small notch on the receiver side of new barrel, I did try to make sure it was lined up, but might be off a little or rough shape. Might also check into a new extractor claw, all the stuff inside is stock 1966 model.

Thanks everyone, I will keep the thread updated on what I am doing and trying.

9. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like I said I will tear it apart again tomorrow, and pay more attention to things lining up. Here is a before and after pic. Got the stock for $20, barrel for $20, and the Bushnell scope for $30. So for $70 I think it was a heck of an upgrade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  10. bel970

bel970 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that's a whole lot of upgrade for $70, how does it feel to almost be theif? nice find.

i was happy when I got my stock on clearance to $110 (boyd's evolution) and barrel on sale for $99 (green mountion aero).

to be honest I'd bet your 1966 reciever is better than my 2005 and I'd love to have your metal trigger housing, mine is polymer.

11. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well as long as I can get the bugs worked out, I will feel like I got a good deal :)

I did not realize they moved away from metal trigger housings to polymer, mine does feel like good quality all the way around.

12. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    I'm betting that the receiver is being bent due to a tight spot or a non-flat surface in the new stock (It doesn't take much, the receiver is flimsy).

Before you tear everything apart ... Loosen the takedown screw and see what happens.
    If that solves your problem, find out where the binding is occurring and fix it.
    Personally, I'd hit rimfire central and read about floating the barrel and bedding the receiver (you can use JB Weld, a 22 is mild enough, that this will work just fine).

Best of luck, it's gonna be something simple ... Give us an update on your solution, once you figure it out.

13. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So this am I smoothed out the extractor notch in the new barrel, it was very slightly rough, worked the inside stock so a dollar bill slide through, made sure there were no high spots or binds, and the darn thing still clicks when fired with the mag installed, will fire most times if you manually re cock with no magazine installed.

Well after swamping out stocks, barrel and receiver with my BIL, he bought a stainless barrel and camo stock also yesterday so it worked out great. From our elimination it is my new barrel, as it does the same thing in his receiver and stock, and his barrel on my receiver in my stock worked perfect. From closer inspection when inserting a round in the end of the barrel, it gets real tight and will not even fall in or push in the last 1/8". With his barrel out and on the bench next to mine, the 22lr round slides in all the way and rest perfectly. So this new barrel is so tight it will not let the round go in all the way.

Is this something I can work out? Or should I run it by a friend that makes guns and barrels and see if he could help?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  14. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like alot of work, but I think TallyXD nailed the problem.

15. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    do u want to sell that old stock?

pm me if u do

16. jonrobertd

jonrobertd XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a quick question: What type of chamber is the barrel, match, standard, or ......?
    ok
    two What Ammo?
    Th reason is a tight chamber won't like some ammo. Mine hates almost all bulk, CCI stingers are a major NO NO, and its a bolt action, so I have to force it home on anything she doesn't like.

As said previously check out RFC for more 10/22 help, and maybe more info on your barrel.

17. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The barrel says Match, so I guess it is suppose to be tighter.

I was just using some cheap Remington and other misc. bulk.

Yeah I read on RFC where this barrel hates CCI also. That is a great rimfire resource

Update: I went by and saw the guy that builds 22 and 17 HMR around here, he has a few hi-end reamers (one has a bearing on the end) that he uses with his lathe, either the field or the auto is what he said to use. I told him to make it a little more forgiving but still keep it for accurracy, said he will get it within 1/1000th of the rifling. He has been making custom guns for years, and is a good friend of my FIL. Left the barrel with him and picking it up later in the week.

He also gave me some Federal Gold Medal UltraMatch .22 ammo, he said it a great round for match, slow burning and even sounds different.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  18. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will probably keep the old finger groove stock for now, with the old barrel, if I change my mind I will send you a message.

19. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    It sounds like a match chamber, probably Bentz, but it might be out of spec and thus not cut deep enough.
    The tightness is typical, but not the depth, or are you trying to shoot "stingers" ... They are longer than spec for a long rifle round.

What ammo ??

20. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it is match, just does not seem cut as deep as the other match barrel my BIL has. When I put his barrel on it works, my barrel on his does the same thing. I took it by a guy's house/shop to have him look at it, he will ream it so that it works better for my setup.

Ammo was Remington bulk, CCI, and Winchester. I am so used to plinking with about anything, hope not to lose that ability.