• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sentry Safe Electronic Keypad problem

This is a discussion on Sentry Safe Electronic Keypad problem within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have a G7311 ( | Sentry® Safe | G7311 Gun Safe ) gun safe. It's obviously more of a "cabinet" than "safe," but serves ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Sentry Safe Electronic Keypad problem

Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 7660
Sentry Safe Electronic Keypad problem

I have a G7311 (| Sentry® Safe | G7311 Gun Safe) gun safe. It's obviously more of a "cabinet" than "safe," but serves it's purpose (so we can avoid the comments of "you should get a better safe" or "you asked for it by buying that") and I understand that. At this point in my life and collection, it's all I really need.

Now, with all that said, I purchased it a couple weeks ago, about a week ago the electronic keypad stopped opening the door (it worked fine before). It does have a key override, so I can still get in, but not by using the electronic keypad.

The keypad is obviously getting power, as the green and red lights work, appropriately (if I push a number, the green light comes on. If I input the correct code, the green light comes on. If I input the wrong code, the red light comes on). So, I know it's getting power.

I called and talked with Sentry and they believed it could be the battery pack/wires had a problem, so they sent me out a new battery pack and wires. I replaced those and am still having the same problem.

At this point, I believe the problem is either the circuit board or the unlocking mechanism. Anyone have this problem before and know the remedy?

I will be requesting Sentry send me a new circuit board (fat chance of that I am guessing) and/or a new locking mechanism (not sure the actual name of the component) and see if that works. I really don't see how it could be anything else (except possibly the keypad itself). So all-in-all, three possible components.

Since the model is discontinued, I purchased the last one at the store. Sure, I could take it back, but then I'd have to unbolt it and drag it back to the store, and I would have to get something else. For now, I'm actually okay with the safe, I just want it working again and there's only so many components that can go back, so I figure I could just as easily fix it.

Thank you.

It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not.
XD2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32478
Also there may be a lock out feature where if you try the wrong combo a certain amount of times it disarms the keyboard for a few minutes. Try resetting the code, even though the lights are working. also cycle the locking mechanism with the key a few times

Last edited by steve66; 01-17-2009 at 06:35 PM.
steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

The code is hard-coded at the factory. You can also create new additional codes, which I tried doing, but still did not work. (code worked, just didn't open the door)

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28211
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2005 View Post
The code is hard-coded at the factory. You can also create new additional codes, which I tried doing, but still did not work. (code worked, just didn't open the door)
Soliniod is most likely shot. Tell me, is it a LG keypad?
When mine went out, it locked me out of the safe and mine didn't have a key-override. Cool feature!!
plinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

I agree, I have a feeling the solenoid is the problem. Looks like an easy switch-out, now I just need to convince them to send me a new one.

To be honest, I'm not sure which keypad it is.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 11567
Never mind--reading is key.
Fifty million new Americans have died in abortions since 1973. Where were their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we turn a blind eye toward--or worse, cheer on--a holocaust within our own land? Please, choose life for your baby.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." --Jesus, John 14:6 (ESV)

Proud member of the AKM operator's club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
DanTheEldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 32478
Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2005 View Post
I agree, I have a feeling the solenoid is the problem. Looks like an easy switch-out, now I just need to convince them to send me a new one.

To be honest, I'm not sure which keypad it is.
If you can get to the solenoid, try playing with the connection, maybe its a loose connection. Also, try to bypass the keypad to check the solenoid. you can probably use a 9v battey to check the solenoid. Place one solenoid lead to the + on the 9v and the other lead on the - of the 9v, see what happens. If nothing then switch the leads still nothing? its the solenoid. If it works its the keypad or something between the keypad and the solenoid thats bad. I dont have your safe but it seems that most safes operate the same way.

Hope this helps ..good luck
steve66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Got to the solenoid and took it out. I tried testing with the battery pack from the safe and it didn't appear to be working, so I assume that is the problem. Thank you!

I'll see if I can get a replacement sent out next week.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
amazon circuit board sentry safe
digital.keypad for safe replacement
how to bypass sentry safe keypad master code
how to fix a key pad safe
how to open a sentry safe with a keypad
replacement keypad for gun safe with solenoid
sentry electronic safe not unlocking
sentry gun safe electronic keypad trouble shooting
sentry safe electronic lock problems

sentry safe keypad not working

sentry safe keypad replacement
sentry safe locked me out
sentry safe replacement board
sentrysafe keypad not working
take circuit board out of sentry safe esb3
Click on a term to search for related topics.