• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Starting a Gun Club (Shooting Club)

This is a discussion on Starting a Gun Club (Shooting Club) within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I was wondering if anyone here has ever started a shooting club. What all goes into something like this? Would just having a decent private ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Starting a Gun Club (Shooting Club)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31405
Starting a Gun Club (Shooting Club)

I was wondering if anyone here has ever started a shooting club. What all goes into something like this? Would just having a decent private place to shoot be good enough or are there legal things that need squared away?
Ghostface03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 7959
Well insurance. How is it zoned? Does the municipality support an active gun club? Lots of hoops to jump through and legal bs to start a gun club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
speedracer211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 20991
The NRA has some materials on this if you are truly interested.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 9980
I haven't started one, but I am on the Board of Directors for our club.

You need to incorporate, come up with money for the land, get approval from the local authorities, go to a bunch of county meetings where your neighbors will complain about the noise possibilities and Lead contamination. And on and on.

Now if you are just talking about a place to shoot for yourself, buy some land and go shoot.
educate children.\" -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29654
Buy the NRA range source book, $20 on CD. It has A LOT of good information. Everything from design and construction to lead abatement, runoff water controls, to types of backstops and sound abatement. Its a great referece. If you are truly serious, contact the NRA. They have a team of folks to help with design, inspections, safety, etc... Link is below.

Shooting Range - Services
aeromarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31428
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
You need to incorporate, come up with money for the land, get approval from the local authorities, go to a bunch of county meetings where your neighbors will complain about the noise possibilities and Lead contamination. And on and on.

Now if you are just talking about a place to shoot for yourself, buy some land and go shoot.
Can you elaborate a little what the difference is between the two? What I mean is, what's to stop me from buying some land and invite my friends over (e.g. folks here on the board) and have a little fun without calling ourselves a club?

No free man shall be debarred the use of arms. -Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorized Congress to prevent the People of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -Samuel Adams
Hawflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
This is something where I don't think you should be going by information from the internet. Talk to a lawyer.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 29654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawflake View Post
Can you elaborate a little what the difference is between the two? What I mean is, what's to stop me from buying some land and invite my friends over (e.g. folks here on the board) and have a little fun without calling ourselves a club?
I'm no lawyer, but I'm guessing a Club would need to be set up as some sort of business entity with the local govt. Zoning, taxes, permits, insurance, etc...

A couple guys on a piece of private land is something else.

Same as hunting, my father, myself, and the farm owner hunting geese in the corn fields is fine. As soon as that farm owner starts hiring himself out as a guide and charging $$$, it becomes a business and has to meet all local rules (we still meet all rules when hunting, but them rules is different than the rules governing the business operation).
aeromarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawflake View Post

Liability.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31405
I figured there could be some legal issues. I already have access to the land. Just wanted to start something small to get people together with the same interests, not anything to make money.
aeromarv thanks for the info on the NRA range source book. I guess for now I will stick to just having a few close friends to shoot with.
Ghostface03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
forming a shooting club
how do you start a gun club
how to open a shooting club

how to start a gun club

how to start a gun club in nc
how to start a gun range
how to start a private gun club

how to start a shooting club

how to start a shooting range
how to start a shooting team
start a gun club

starting a gun club

starting a gun club forums
starting a private gun club

starting a shooting club

what do you need to do to start a gun club
Click on a term to search for related topics.