• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How many of have you been delayed or denied in the background check?

This is a discussion on How many of have you been delayed or denied in the background check? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So far I've only bought ammo from wal mart. Today I decided to buy the mossberg 500 I've been wanting for a while (I dont ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » How many of have you been delayed or denied in the background check?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 21171
How many of have you been delayed or denied in the background check?

So far I've only bought ammo from wal mart. Today I decided to buy the mossberg 500 I've been wanting for a while (I dont have a shotgun yet, and have only fire one once). I have an AZ CCW, but apparently wal - mart doesnt care. Company policy to do a background check no matter what. No big deal right? Figured I'd be walking out with a military grade shotgun for $200 in about 10 minutes. Well, the guy tells me I've been delayed after he calls in the check. I've never been arrested, no restraining orders, nothing. My only experience at all with the legal system is traffic tickets and the jury duty I did once. There's no reason I should be flagged on a background check. So I call NICS to figure out what happened. They aren't allowed to tell you anything. So I basically just got "you're not fit to own a shotgun but we don't know why and don't care, have a nice life sir" Maybe it is just an identity mix up like both the wal - mart employee said and the woman at NICS claimed. Regardless, I'll never buy a gun from wal - mart and I'm considering not buying ammo there anymore. If a CCW permit isn't good enough for them neither is my money. I'm probably just overreacting since it just happened. We'll see if and when the gun department calls me with the results on the delay.

Last edited by matlt; 01-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
matlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 17248
Are you a "Jr" or "Sr" or maybe "II" or "III" as far as your name?

If so, this could cause the delay. Even though you have a unique social security number they many times will delay BG checks over last names that include a suffix.

Are you reserve or active military? If so, you may need to get a unique "PIN number" for certain circumstances. I cannot elaborate on this one. I only know that in certain cases for military you have a "PIN" that you must use when purchasing firearms.

I know you said you have a concealed weapons license, but have you personally EVER purchased a gun? If not, sometimes first gun purchases will toss a flag for unknown reasons especially with older folks who are making a first gun purchase.

All firearms sales from a retailer are obligated by Federal law to run a BG check. There is no "sliding" by without one. It must happen or someone at the store can go to jail as well as the company losing its firearms licenses. It is not Wal Mart. Its the Guv'ment

Possibly due to overwhelming numbers of BG checks lately, they may just be trying to buy time. I dont know.
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Last edited by Tally XD; 01-01-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Tally XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 19270
A delay usually occurs due to a large amount of background checks being processed, its normally not a big deal though usually walmart wont hold the weapon for you if you get delayed.
sar2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 31458
I got spit out of the system last time I bought a gun. The reason was that the address I gave (correct address) did not match the one on my driver's license (old one - forgot to change it). Once I made the addresses match all was well.
chuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2828 View Post
A delay usually occurs due to a large amount of background checks being processed, its normally not a big deal though usually walmart wont hold the weapon for you if you get delayed.
This is what I was thinking. And the possible fact it has something to do with it being new years day. I'm just wondering how long it will take.

I've only bought from gun stores and private sales. So, this isn't quite my first gun. I've never heard of having to use your PIN outside of the military. A PIN is only for use in conjunction with your CAC card. Shouldn't ever exist in the civilian world afaik. And I have no title to my name. Just first middle and last.

Last edited by matlt; 01-01-2009 at 09:21 PM.
matlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 28591
As far as I know, the CPL license is not a replacement for the background check. It only allows you to not have to go and get a purchase permit.
Jerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
All firearms sales from a retailer are obligated by Federal law to run a BG check. There is no "sliding" by without one. It must happen or someone at the store can go to jail as well as the company losing its firearms licenses. It is not Wal Mart. Its the Guv'ment
Arkansas CCW holders fill out the form, but it doesn't have to be called in. I have a couple friends with Arkansas CCW license and have witnessed them purchasing firearms.
Oklahoma isn't this way (which sucks) but Im sure some other states are.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Maybe it's just an AZ thing. A CCW in AZ lets you skip the background check at any gun store. So, my first pistol (an xd9) required me to get a bg check. After that I got my CCW and have bought a dozen guns since then. No background checks for any of them.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
XDTalk 3K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
Maybe it's just an AZ thing. A CCW in AZ lets you skip the background check at any gun store. So, my first pistol (an xd9) required me to get a bg check. After that I got my CCW and have bought a dozen guns since then. No background checks for any of them.
That is the way it should be anywhere as far as I am concerned. IN Florida, the CWL gets you the weapon that day with no waiting period but you still have the BG check each and every time.
The 2A wasn’t meant to allow public citizens to keep and bear arms. If it had there would have been wording such as 'The right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' -Ken Konecki

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Edited: Removed comment. I am sleepy and read your initial post incorrectly.

Last edited by Tally XD; 01-01-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
active military delayed background check on gun
az gun buying denial reasons

delay on processing my gun purchase in massachusetts

delay pistol purchase new hampshire
delayed when buying firearm in new hampshire

how long does a gun delay take

how long does an infomart background check take

how long does infomart background check take

how long does infomart background take

how long does it take for an infomart background check

infomart background check?

my arziona ccw permit are delayed fir a background check
walmart background check delayed on guns
what happens if i get denied a gun in ma
who gets denied a rifle purchase in az
Click on a term to search for related topics.