• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

half-cock position

This is a discussion on half-cock position within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; what exactly is the reason for the half-cock thing?I have heard one thing than another thing buit nothing concrete. Can someone tel me what exactly ...

Old 11-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3251
half-cock position

what exactly is the reason for the half-cock thing?I have heard one thing than another thing buit nothing concrete. Can someone tel me what exactly is it for and its function? I have a S.A. mil spec and "Loaded " with it on them and even a Beretta Tomcat with it .Thnaks for any responses and i am sorry if its been posted before.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4341
I am not sure about the weapons you listed.. but on my Marlin 30/30 half cocked is the safest mode it can be carried. The Trigger Bar safety cannot be engaged unless it is in the full cocked or half cocked position.

It cannot be fired without the full pull of the SAO trigger, and a fully cocked hammer.

In the "half cocked" position, the gun is harmless. Which makes it quite safe to sling over your shoulder.. no worries.

That's the only advantage I know of..

Raymond

~Abraham Lincoln~
Captain Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6817
What the Captin said is right, and it also works to stop the hammer from falling all the way to the firing pin, when the trigger is not pulled. Like if the gun was dropped, or hit on the hammer hard enough to dislodge the sear the hammer will stop on the half cock notch.
If you hold the hammer back when you pull the trigger, then let the trigger go, and as you let the hammer down it should stop at half cock.
40SWXDSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 3702
Carrying on half-cock can be a lifesaver, or a deathtrap. Depends on the gun and the situation.

Half-cock is fine for leverguns; the only safer mode is to have the chamber empty.

Half-cock is no good on single-action handguns. In traditional revolvers, like the Colt, is to be used only for loading/unloading. If your SAA don't have a transfer bar (like the Rugers) you better be carrying it with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

On SA autos, like the Browning HP & modern 1911's, you have an inertial firing pin. This means that the pin itself is too short to reach a primer unless it gets a good smack from the hammer, to knock it into the primer. Carrying a 1911 on half-cock is just giving the hammer a 'running start' at that pin if you happen to drop it on the hammer.

As has been noted above, the purpose of the half cock notch on SA autos is to provide a catch in the event the hammer gets knocked off the full-cock position. Think of it as a secondary parachute, and don't screw with it other than to make sure it is there.
It ain't personal. Nothing contained herein is intended is to offend the immature, retarded, hyper-sensitive, emotionally/hormonally unstable, or otherwise easily-offended. But if it does- don't cry to me. I don't care.
"Sarge"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

invssgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

hey guys thanks for the replies .I have been wroking for the last 4 days and havent been able to respond.So if i have my mil-spec on full cock and it drops and the hammer falls ,it will hit the halfcock position and stop?
Old 11-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

bump
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Old Timer

Member #: 6414
If you accidentally drop the hammer the halfcock notch should catch it (e.g. you drop the gun on the floor). Some guns with 'decocking levers' decock to the halfcock position I believe (HK USPs, certain CZs, and a lot of other DAO pistols if in battery, tend to rest in somewhat of a half-cock position). On old-timey flint-locks half-cocked position won't fire the gun if the trigger is pulled (it's not supposed to anyway) There is also the linguistic aspect of "half-cocked" meaning to not be fully prepared for something.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:39 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupacabrachus
If you accidentally drop the hammer the halfcock notch should catch it (e.g. you drop the gun on the floor). Some guns with 'decocking levers' decock to the halfcock position I believe (HK USPs, certain CZs, and a lot of other DAO pistols if in battery, tend to rest in somewhat of a half-cock position). On old-timey flint-locks half-cocked position won't fire the gun if the trigger is pulled (it's not supposed to anyway) There is also the linguistic aspect of "half-cocked" meaning to not be fully prepared for something.
cool , i think i understand it alot better now ! thnaks guys , i am a little slow sometimes,but want to undertsand it fully.Thanks for all the replies!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

addvantage of half cocked tomcat

are berettas supposed to half cock when you pull the trigger
beretta 3032 tomcat hammer half cock notch

beretta half cock safety

beretta tomcat 3/4 cocked

beretta tomcat dropped on concrete,
beretta tomcat firing when dropped

beretta tomcat half cocked

is it ok to keep beretta tomcat fully loaded with safety on and hammer half cocked?

marlin 30-30 half cock
should beretta tomcat be carried in pocket half cocked

xd half cocked

Click on a term to search for related topics.