• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How long can you store Kerosene?

This is a discussion on How long can you store Kerosene? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I cannot find a straight answer on the internet on this one. My Google skills are excellent, but it isn't lack on answers on the ...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9181
How long can you store Kerosene?

I cannot find a straight answer on the internet on this one. My Google skills are excellent, but it isn't lack on answers on the internet about Kersosene storage, it is the vast arry of answers about it.

So, how long can you store Kerosene and still be safe for indoor burning? Some websites say 1 to 3 months. Some say 5 or more years. I have some in my garage that was stored in clean, dark containers for about 2 years. I want to use it, but am a little concerend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24555
The MSDS just says
Quote:
Keep container in a cool, well-ventilated area. Keep container tightly
closed and sealed until ready for use.
I would think that 5 years is a lot more accurate than 1 to 3 months. If I sold the stuff I would say 1 to 3 months!
Ruger 10/22
RRA AR15 Entry Tactical
------------------
"I seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country." - Moroni
ScottyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 23028
I've burnt 2 or 3 year old kerosene in a heater before, and it seemed as good as new to me. In fact, I moved recently and found some kerosene in the crawl space that looked like it had been there since the 18th century. I used it while burning brush and it was fine.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 25589
Find a person that deals in bulk Kersosene sales and ask them.
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
Find a person that deals in bulk Kersosene sales and ask them.
I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but I lol'ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMYSIGP225 View Post
So, how long can you store Kerosene and still be safe for indoor burning? Some websites say 1 to 3 months. Some say 5 or more years. I have some in my garage that was stored in clean, dark containers for about 2 years. I want to use it, but am a little concerend.
That's a good question. I'll do some searching and get back to you. I know we'll have kerosene that's at least a year old (from last winter) and burn it in our kerosene heater without any problems.

I'm not sure I've burnt kerosene older than that indoors.

This is what I found first.
Kerosene Shelf life? - Survivalist Forum
Quote:
Having worked as a refinery chemist one of the things we tested regularly was kerosene. To answer your question; it will last almost forever depending upon what kind of container you store it in. Where I worked it was a single cut product, in other words it came off a distillation tower on one tray and was never mixed with anything else. It is a pure product that if stored in tin or steel will last almost forever. Plastics can absorb light & change with time so if I was storing it I would keep it in 1 gallon tin cans. The distillation tower makes the following products from heaviest to the lightest; coming off the bottom was Kerosene, next up was JP4(jet fuel), followed by B Naptha or what is more commonly called white gas or camp stove fuel. These are all strait run products that usually do not have anything added except JP4 which they add a conductivity agent which reduces the ability for it to static spark.

Any of these products above can have a very long life shelf life if stored properly unlike gasoline which can have up to 8 different components mixed together.
Quote:
...Plastic or more correctly polymer compounds that are used for hydrocarbon storage must be able to withstand the hydrocarbon. It can be absorbed into the walls eventually causing the molecules to fail(soften) and breakdown. All the above ratings are for water, juice, acidic compounds etc.
... The UV will damage the container more than the kerosene.
I almost forgot.
We used Nalgene to store hydrocarbons in. Looks like plastic or polymer jug but is almost impervious to hydrocarbons.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
&

Last edited by Krackels; 12-22-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Krackels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15221
i dunno if it was safe, i asumme it was cause my dad is super mr. safety. But we often used a kerosine lantern when the power went out when i was a young child. It was an old tyme one, hung in our kitchen.

I know nothing happened when the fluid was months old, in fact i am quite sure we used it often with kerosene that was atleast a few years old.
billbrasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow Kerosene will grow like diesel.

Kerosene can grow red stuff, and gel up like diesel, but it doesn't happen as quickly. If you keep it sealed up, out of the light, and free of moisture, it will last a LONG time. It's not unstable like gas is, but it does degrade over time. I'd say, if stored properly, 5 years or more. It needs moisture to grow, so if it's sealed, it can't get in. We burnt some kerosene in one of those salamander heaters out of a metal 5 gallon container that was at least 5 years old at a friend's house, and nothing bad happened. I'd say 5 years to be safe. If it gets really old, it smells different, and I wouldn't even try it if that happened.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
Deer Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9181
Thanks for all the replies. It is burning right now, as we speak.

LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12963
I've got a 5gal sealed can I purchased along with a ventless heater in prep for Y2K. Never opened the box to the heater and never opened up the kerosene can so it's 9yrs old to date. Maybe I ought to use it this year to light the brush pile or kill weeds with it and replace it with new.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can you use old kerosene
does kerosene go bad
how long can kerosene be stored
how long can you keep kerosene

how long can you store kerosene

how long does kerosene last

how long does kerosene last in storage
how long does kerosene stay good

how long is kerosene good for

how long will kerosene keep
how long will kerosene last
how long will kerosene stay good
how long will kerosene store

kerosene shelf life

shelf life of kerosene

Click on a term to search for related topics.