• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how to identify an old counterfeit $20 bill?

This is a discussion on how to identify an old counterfeit $20 bill? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; so i got a 1981 twenty the other day and it is in PERFECT condition. it just seems too nice to be real. its like ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » how to identify an old counterfeit $20 bill?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
how to identify an old counterfeit $20 bill?

so i got a 1981 twenty the other day and it is in PERFECT condition. it just seems too nice to be real. its like a brand new bill. well i cant find any information on how to tell if its a counterfeit. all i seem to find is info on the new bills. i really dont think its a counterfeit but it just seems odd to be in such good condition for a 27 year old bill. im just curious about how to ID one,

it also got me thinking that since the old bills are still accepted everywhere and would be much easier to make a fake, why wouldnt all the counterfeiters use them instead of the new ones.

so if anyone has any info on how to ID this that would be great. i really dont want to use one of the markers because the bill is perfect and i plan on saving it so i dont want to put a mark on it.
thank you

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
I don't think they used watermarks or anything back then...I'd say take it to a bank and ask for a new bill...don't ask if it's counterfeit. With any luck they'll take it and you won't be out $20.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a fake, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
Also, here is a good link: United States Secret Service: Know Your Money - Counterfeit Awareness

Probably the only ways to tell with the old bills.

Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14171
I can't remember if it will have a $20 watermark or not, but check to see if it has a thin strip with the word "Twenty dollars". Hold it up to a light and you will see the strip. The best method is to actually look at the bill very closely under good light. If it was printed on actual US currency, it will have small squiggly blue & red "hair like" strands all over the bill. This cannot be faked by using any other "paper" products.....

If all else fails.....take it to the bank!!
Old 12-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 29739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD 45 View Post
I can't remember if it will have a $20 watermark or not, but check to see if it has a thin strip with the word "Twenty dollars". Hold it up to a light and you will see the strip. The best method is to actually look at the bill very closely under good light. If it was printed on actual US currency, it will have small squiggly blue & red "hair like" strands all over the bill. This cannot be faked by using any other "paper" products.....

If all else fails.....take it to the bank!!
Or put it under a black light. The strip will stand out quite a bit and you will be able to tell then, however I am not sure if the old bills have that strip. I know we have several older style bills in the house but I am not really sure of where they are so I wouldn't be able to check for you right now sorry. If you have a black light and different kinds of new bills available to you then check it out. Each denomination has a different colored strip once the black light hits it. Pretty neat.
mawnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 30604
Go to Staples or Office Depot or similar and get a counterfiet money detection pen/marker.

I'm glad I don't work as hard as I play.

Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9890
Take it to a busy grocery store and DUMP IT, dude.
Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 29880
Counterfeiters do use old bills. The biggest give away is texture. Bank tellers are taught to feel each bill before they even look at it. Chances are if it is a 1981 bill and it's crisp, it's fake. I recieved one from a gas station a few weeks ago and refused to take it from the store.
beer_snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 26172
well it has the hairs but they didnt put the strips in till 1990 i believe

and i dont want to mark it since its in such good condition, i would like to save it.

I haven't stopped believing in god. I just stopped beliving he cares. There might be a god, there might not, but i dont think it matters. Either way were on our own.-Jace Wayland

If you want to polish your barrel click the link below

sourpatch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 24266
bills that old are not going to have water marks, or security tape...it will have the little red and blue hairs...and i believe it should say "The United States of America" in tiny type around the portrait (should look almost like a ring to the naked eye) Id say next time your at a gas station just ask the teller to hit it with the marker.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so"-Thomas Jefferson
Modificationvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
1981 $20 bill
1981 20 dollar bill
counterfeit 20 dollar bills old
counterfeit old 20 dollar bill
do old twenty dollar bills have strip
fake old 20 dollar bill
how can you tell if a old 20 dollar bill is fake

how to spot a fake old 20 dollar bill

how to tell if a old 20 bill is fake
how to tell if an old 20 dollar bill is fake
how to tell if an old 20 dollar bill is real

how to tell if an old 20 is fake

how to tell if old 20 bill is fake
old 20 dollar bill counterfeit

old 20 dollar bill fake

old twenty dollar bill fake
Click on a term to search for related topics.