• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Disaster / Survival Kit...

This is a discussion on Disaster / Survival Kit... within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I came across one of these the other day at the gunshop.. GunBroker.com guns: Smith & Wesson SW9VE Disaster Ready Kit S&W 9mm (item: 106627969 ...

Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22262
Disaster / Survival Kit...

I came across one of these the other day at the gunshop.. GunBroker.com guns: Smith & Wesson SW9VE Disaster Ready Kit S&W 9mm (item: 106627969 ends: Aug-12-08 02:35:09 PM)

Now I'm tempted to customize one of my own. Does anybody here have a similar setup for that unexpected event?

I'd modify the kit with a shortwave radio, and a prepaid cellphone. I already have a stockpile of MREs, field water purifier, and a combat lifesaver emergency kit buried in a seabag in my closet.

Edit: For those of you with one, post pics / inventory list!

Here is mine so far: Disaster / Survival Kit...

Last edited by redhatchbox; 08-09-2008 at 02:18 PM.
redhatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25129
If there were a Glock/XD in there I'd buy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Joeywhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26257
yes, i think many of us have them. commonly called bug out bags.

im always modifiying mine with new things that i think i will need and replacing old things ect...

i also keep a fat stack of cash in it JIC and plenty of ammo.

there are many threads on these if you search for them. you can get some outstanding ideas of what to put in yours. thats what i did.

*Iraq and Afghanistan Veteran*
bdraughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
TMP
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 21084
I had to look...... that is kinda funny. I'm willing to bet that not many people have a disaster kit... or even a first aid kit, including myself. I've been thinking about it lately and think I will put one together.
TMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 27072
I saw that in Corpus but it had a Glock 17 or 19 I can't remember. It was at a shop called Sharp Shooter.
buncha Glocks and some 1911's
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

First step is going to be sourcing a nice Pelican-type case. Something large enough for everything I'll need. Might was well start a write-up in here once I start putting everything together.

Last edited by redhatchbox; 08-08-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24372
Thumbs up Disaster kit

Redhatchbox, Where can I get MRE's at? And what is a fair price to pay for them? Any help would be appreciated.
The 2nd. Amendment says that I dont have to apologize for carrying my weapon.
WVCDL Member
My concealed carry permit is the 2nd. Amendment
vthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
Redhatchbox, Where can I get MRE's at? And what is a fair price to pay for them? Any help would be appreciated.
I collected them while I was at Annual Training. They'd give us 2-3 a day and I would only eat about .5 of one. By the time AT was over with I had 1/2 a seabag full of MREs.

Local surplus stores often stock them, not sure about the price though.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 26257
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I had to look...... that is kinda funny. I'm willing to bet that not many people have a disaster kit... or even a first aid kit, including myself. I've been thinking about it lately and think I will put one together.
id think you would be surprised how many people really do have them.

*Iraq and Afghanistan Veteran*
bdraughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 15115
I would go with something back portable incase you need to leave the comfort of your vehicle during a bug out.

My BOB consists of a frame mounted ALICE pack and a LBV. With this setup I can get 3 days to a week depending on how far I stretch my supplies. My bug out firearms are either my daily carry XD9 or G17 and my AR. I plan to bug out by vehicle which would allow me to carry more food,water, and ammo but the BOB is setup for not having any kind of support at all. Never know when driving a vehicle might not be the best option or if/when you will break down.

I personally go though my BOB on the 1st week of every month to inspect everything to make sure it's still good to go and nothing in the medical or food front is expired or ripped open or anything like that. I also take that opportunity to rotate the water that I have in the canteens for fresh water.

This is an old picture here. Some things have been removed and some things have been added since then.

Here is what I carry everyday. Not necessarily on me into stores and stuff but if I leave the house it rides in my car

The kit above will get me home if I'm out and about. Enough food for a day, spare ammo, ect. Never know when civilization will end while your shopping at your local wally mart LOL.

Some guys have even built I.N.C.H. kits for long term bug out survival. I forgot what INCH means right off the top of my head but these are some VERY well thought out kits that could keep you alive and mostly comfortable for a long period of time.

Even having a 3 day BOB will put you well ahead of a large majority of the population out there.

ETA-if you are interested in prepardness before, during, after a large natural disaster or local disaster or what not, check out Zombie Squad

We use zombies as a metaphor for disaster. Since if you are prepared for zombies you are prepared for anything short of being at ground zero of a nuclear blast or asteroid strike.

USPSA-A59201

Last edited by jeepinbanditrider; 08-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
disaster survival kit 9mm

survival pack

Click on a term to search for related topics.