• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Concealed Carry on a bicycle

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on a bicycle within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm a competitive cyclist and often ride with other riders who carry. Never given it much thought, other than actually being appreciative and supportive of ...

Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 24085
Concealed Carry on a bicycle

I'm a competitive cyclist and often ride with other riders who carry. Never given it much thought, other than actually being appreciative and supportive of it. In fact, one of the guys is a Judge here in town (though I don't ride much with him). One guy carries a North American Arms 5 shot .22, I' mnot sure what others carry. Well, recently a member of the local bike club was riding around a nearby town when a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria with 3 black males (this was the description given to the police) pulls along side of him. One of them pulls out a gun and starts cussing at him, waving it around, and points it at him. He said he thought he was going to die. He does not carry BTW. This has sparked a large debate amongst the local club as to whether cyclist should carry, if so, what, is it safe, etc. One club member said, "I hope anyone I ride with that is carrying doesn't pull out the gun without considering the innocent bystanders. I don't want to get caught in the cross-fire." It's fairly common to be threatened by cars while riding a bicycle, I've been cussed at, ran off the road, lectured by toothless rednecks that I'm breaking the law, even had a full coke can thrown at me by a car going the opposite direction going 60 mph. That left a lump on my shin for months. How sad that it has come to this. So anyone else carry while cycling or have any thoughts on it? Is a .22 even worth carrying? Best way to carry? (Cycling clothing doesn't lend itself to Concealment. The local judge uses a fanny pack). <small></small>
C-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Thats why I am a mountain biker only. Ditto for my motorcycle...off road only. Cars....especially in rural areas...love to mess with cyclists on the road.

Riding a bicycle on the roads in East Texas? Thats an extreme sport in and of itself! I wouldn't ride my bike on the roads there without an M-60 mounted on the handlebars. Some toothless redneck is bound to run me off the road or whack me with an axe handle....no thank you.

LOL

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23438
a pocket pistol or snubnose might suit a cyclist, depending how much extra weight you can tolerate. I wouldnt use a .22 Did that cyclist get robbed?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24942
I just bought a fanny pack for when i ride. It works great and has a water bladder with it so its duel purpose. my .45 service fits fine in it too

500 Rounds a counting
Steve_o113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22048
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. If all you got is a .22 then it's better than an empty hand right? With the right shot placement, a .22 will kill someone. Remember that news story about the guy trying to drill a hole for the tv cable? He shot through the side of a house and hit is wife by mistake and managed to kill her.

BTW, I'm annoyed at bicyclist that ride on the road when a perfectly good sidewalk is available. I don't run them off the road, but still it annoys me that I have to slow down or pass them. Same goes for joggers.
eyesopened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14292
You might want to look at a Kel-Tec or the new Ruger LCP. I think that given the clothing you wear, a fanny pack is probably a good call.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 24942
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesopened View Post
BTW, I'm annoyed at bicyclist that ride on the road when a perfectly good sidewalk is available.
In Oregon its illegal to ride on the sidewalk, you can walk your bike but not ride it

500 Rounds a counting
Steve_o113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
Did that cyclist get robbed?
Nope, eventually they drove off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesopened View Post
BTW, I'm annoyed at bicyclist that ride on the road when a perfectly good sidewalk is available. I don't run them off the road, but still it annoys me that I have to slow down or pass them. Same goes for joggers.
I understand your frustration, and when riding in the city I try to stick to neighborhood roads, etc. But also realize that in many cities, like Austin or Portland, it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk in certain areas. Also, riding on sidewalks at ~18-20 mph hardly makes sense as dodging pedestrians would be impossible. Maybe with more and more people commuting on bicycles due to gas, people with become more tolerant of commuters on bikes.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas26 View Post
You might want to look at a Kel-Tec or the new Ruger LCP. I think that given the clothing you wear, a fanny pack is probably a good call.
I think a fanny pack is the only reasonable solution, I just don't know if I can bring myself to wear one! Thanks for the gun recommendations!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickboy240 View Post
Riding a bicycle on the roads in East Texas? Thats an extreme sport in and of itself!
I've questioned my sanity many a time while on a back road staring down the grill of a dually with a shotgun rack. I've just never thought it would be necessary to carry. It's just depressing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
bicycle concealed carry
bicycle conceled carry
can i carry a concealed weapon while bikeing in texas
carrying a guitar on a bicycle
conceal carry cyclist
concealed carry and biking

concealed carry bicycle

concealed carry cycling
concealed carry on a bicycle

concealed carry on bicycle

conceled carry on a bike
cycling concealed carry
cyclist waist pack ccw
how to carry concealed riding bike
mountain bike gun holster
mountain bike pistol carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.