• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

fur trapping and taxidermy with the brush- wolf lady

This is a discussion on fur trapping and taxidermy with the brush- wolf lady within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Some of you asked, so here ya go- a trapping ( and taxidermy) thread. Background: I have been doing taxidermy since 1994, and started trapping ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » fur trapping and taxidermy with the brush- wolf lady

Old 02-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 21036
fur trapping and taxidermy with the brush- wolf lady

Some of you asked, so here ya go- a trapping ( and taxidermy) thread.

Background: I have been doing taxidermy since 1994, and started trapping in 2000 due to foxes killing my chickens in a crazed spree( 32 chickens, 8-9 ducks, 1 turkey, 1 goose- in 2 months). I trap for fur/control in season, and nuisance control year round as needed or as hired. I trap/have trapped red and grey foxes, raccoons, mink, muskrat, beavers, river otters, skunks, and possums. I have yet to catch a coyote or weasel. Maryland also has fisher as a trapable furbearer, but they are found in western MD and would requiring traveling and lodging for me to trap 1.

So I will start this thread with trapping pics, since that seems to be the big interest in the requests.

River otter- this is a real thrill to catch, since they are scarce in my area, but enough of them for a season( bag limit 5). I feel I am helping the trout out.

Mink- slippery footed lil things, but plentiful, so if 1 out of 5 gets in one of the several traps, that is good.

beaver and black muskrat

55 pound beaver and xl male otter

me with my first otter I ever caught

dead beaver at set location

more to come...
I think if Jesus were placed in a similar situation as the New Life Church security guard, he would whip out his [Super Mall Ninja XD .500 S and W with bayonet and tripod] and double tap the center mass of any wannabe killer who was attempting to put a bullet in one of his defenseless disciples.
Brush-Wolf-Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 21583
great pictures...Not much trapping goes on around here anymore
S&W .38SPL wheelgun
KelTec PF9
DPMS M4
Ruger 10/22
Ruger M77 7MM Mag
Ruger M77 .270
Browning lever action .243
Remington 870 12ga (3)
maddram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Do use Victor's BWL? How do you prepare/de-scent them? Charcoal boil?

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

caught same day- 39 pound beaver and a huge raccoon

otter tracks at creek bank edge

a mink caught in a beaver trap

these 2 mink were caught about 15 feet apart same night

part of catch 1 season- several foxes not shown due to being skinned for taxidermy use

more to come...
I think if Jesus were placed in a similar situation as the New Life Church security guard, he would whip out his [Super Mall Ninja XD .500 S and W with bayonet and tripod] and double tap the center mass of any wannabe killer who was attempting to put a bullet in one of his defenseless disciples.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 2714
Nice beaver!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

raccoons and foxes- I have more pics of foxes than anything, they are the bread and butter of trapping in my area. I caught 81 3 seasons ago, and wasn't even trying that hard and had only about 7 seperate locations set.

I use different brands of traps btw- I have about 4 dozen victor softcatch in 2 sizes, a dozen #2 size traps with rubber jaws that are not victors ( bridgers with add-on kits), 1 dozen bridger offset laminated jaw #2's, A couple dozen #11 ****/mink traps made by Sleepy Creek in WV, Bridger beaver traps- 330 body grippers, Bridger 160 body grip traps ( mink and muskrat), 4 280 body grippers( otter and beaver), 1 dozen or so misc Montgomery traps for fox/coyote, 1-2 dozen Montgomery traps for fox, 17 lil griz geterz dog proof **** traps, a bunch of 110 mink/muskrat body grip traps by Victor, a dozen each of 160 and 220 **** body grip traps by Belisle in Canada ( these are heavy duty traps! I have used the smaller ones for mink too), and a bunch of cage traps in a couple different sizes.

Grey fox are not real plentiful here, but there are oddles of them closer to the Bay and on the Eastern shore. It is always a thrill for me to find a grey rather than a red, in one of my traps.

red foxes...

this one was pooping duck feathers- lost 6 ducks in one afternoon and this was 1 of 4 foxes I caught within the next few days

foxes often travel together, or 1 trapped 1 will attract another that also gets caught- I make 2 sets right by eachother for this reason

these 2 got caught at the same set! I was using my 2 trap "hay set", after the farmers wife tipped me off to seeing a pair of foxes at this location the day before I set.

my best 1 day catch- 5 foxes, 1 ****, 1 mink, 1 possum

more to come...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9181
Very interesting pictures. Never got into trapping myself. Actually, when I was a kid, I messed around with a Kona-Bear. I think that is what it was called. Never caught much.

Do you make stuff with the furs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 11288
cool stuff!

Quote:
I like living here, it's a tactical nieghborhood. We have even had SWAT teams here hiding in yards (prone in the bushes) and turning out porch lights during thier sweep search for the BGs.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 9181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
Nice beaver!
Ahhh MAN!!! I cannot believe The Mod went there. What is the world coming to?

LUVMYSIGP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

some coons

big **** caught at streamside set, I bait with fish oil usually

big fat **** in a fox set

this was one mean SOB of a ****, took me a while to get a good shot at his head, he kept rolling around and growling and jumping at me after I took the pic- he was caught in one of the lil griz dogproof traps

more nice looking coons

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

black muskrat

dead beaver
fox trapping sets
foxes in maryland
foxes pooping
huge raccoon

kona bear trap

kona bear traps
kona bear traps for sale
mink taxidermy
mink trapping sets

otter tracks

otter trapping sets
taxidermy possum
trapping otter
trapping otters
Click on a term to search for related topics.