• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sentry safe. Do you have one?

This is a discussion on Sentry safe. Do you have one? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Do any of you have this Sentry safe? If so how do you like it? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6457701...

Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 9644
Sentry safe. Do you have one?

Do any of you have this Sentry safe? If so how do you like it?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6457701

"I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it."
dasanii19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
vmo
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 23331
I've got basically the same safe with a combination lock instead. I did a lot of research before I purchased, and decided against the digital based on the feedback received. I bought the canon brand at Academy Sports for $475. Same size and weighs about 400 lbs.

vmo
vmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 19984
have you guys seen this video? they show how easy it is to break into a sentry type safe. I don't know if it's bogus or not but see for your self

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67JNmaNPf88

I checked out the sentry safes at wally world during hunting season... one was dented and the doors rattled on all of them. They just seem crappy to me... and after watching that video I don't think I'd get one.

I'm looking at Liberty safes... seem to offer better quality for just under 1k
jbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 3203
If you bolt down your safe its going to be a lot harder to pry it open as you wont be able to exert the same leverage/force to open the safe with a crowbar. Also, 99% of the thieves are not going to bring all these tools in with them to open a safe, unless they know you have one and are set on taking your guns. 99% of you thieves are going to be quick grab and run types looking for jewelry, tvs, dvd players, computers, etc. Don't sweat the small stuff. I just bought a $400 Sentry safe that is not fireproof, but I have a sprinkler head right above it. Also, they are much safer than under my bed or hidden in the closet. Even a $1000 safe can easily be broken into if laid on its back and with the proper tools.
bigwilly11189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 7571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly11189 View Post
If you bolt down your safe its going to be a lot harder to pry it open as you wont be able to exert the same leverage/force to open the safe with a crowbar. Also, 99% of the thieves are not going to bring all these tools in with them to open a safe, unless they know you have one and are set on taking your guns. 99% of you thieves are going to be quick grab and run types looking for jewelry, tvs, dvd players, computers, etc. Don't sweat the small stuff. I just bought a $400 Sentry safe that is not fireproof, but I have a sprinkler head right above it. Also, they are much safer than under my bed or hidden in the closet. Even a $1000 safe can easily be broken into if laid on its back and with the proper tools.
+1. I cant believe the guy actually puts any merit into that whole thing when he laid the safe on the floor. Like get real.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6899
Remember, it's a marketing video by a company that sells higher end safes. Of course, they're going to skew it to their message.

And, the video probably targets non-firearms and other less security knowledgeable people. It's not that unlikely such people would put the safe in a closet and not bolt it down. It wouldn't take much for a smaller safe to be man-handled to the center of the room to be opened.

XD(M)9 4.5
XD(M)9 3.8
XD45 C
other stuff
rlh2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

This particulal 24 gun Sentry safe states "pry resistant" and also has 5 steel live-locking bolts and 3 dead bolts .

Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14100
From the video that that particuliar safe appears to have very shallow dead bolts... and what happend to the dead bolt on the bottom? Looks like they sawed it off before beginning. The Sentry Safe I saw at Home Depot had dead bolts that went a lot deeper than that and it also had dead bolts on the bottom.

Lastly, who the hell puts their safe on the floor in a wide open area? Or was their point that you should bolt down your safe so the BG's can't put it on the floor? Did you see those crow bars and how big they were? That's a lot of leverage that was needed and only possible with a big crow bar, lots of room so the guy can use his body for leverage, no top or bottom dead bolts, and shallow dead bolts.
EricCartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
From the video that that particuliar safe appears to have very shallow dead bolts... and what happend to the dead bolt on the bottom? Looks like they sawed it off before beginning. The Sentry Safe I saw at Home Depot had dead bolts that went a lot deeper than that and it also had dead bolts on the bottom.

Lastly, who the hell puts their safe on the floor in a wide open area? Or was their point that you should bolt down your safe so the BG's can't put it on the floor? Did you see those crow bars and how big they were? That's a lot of leverage that was needed and only possible with a big crow bar, lots of room so the guy can use his body for leverage, no top or bottom dead bolts, and shallow dead bolts.
+ 1. Well I said the hell with it and bought that 24 gun Sentry safe I linked to at the top of this thread. It was on clearance for $399. Its going into a small walk in closet, bolted to the floor. For $399 I dont think I could have done any better,what do you think? oh yea I had a $100 gift card on top of it so I actually got the safe for $300. They always say to buy 2 or 3 times the capacity then what you have so I think this safe fits my needs pretty well. To me the specs on this safe look great.

Ill snap some shots in a bit for you all if you care to see? Im pretty excited.

Das~

Last edited by dasanii19; 02-22-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 22834
I don't know that seemed pretty hard to me. if this safe was bolted to the floor in a corner it would have been impossible to get the leaverage to open it. And this safe didn't have bolts that go in all 4 sides.
jim331656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
break into sentry safe
crack sentry safe p005c
cracking a sentry safe p005c compact safe 3 digits
cracking the combination to a sentry safe p005c
force open sentry safe
how to brake into sentry safe a small one
how to break into a sentry safe p005c
how to break open a sentry safe
how to crack a 99 digit sentry safe
how to easily break into a sentry key vault
how to open a sentry safe p005c

how to open sentry safe p005c without combination

how to pry open a sentry safe p005c
open p005c

p005c safe cracking

sentry safe p005c cracking

Click on a term to search for related topics.