• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

How do I transfer legal ownership of a firearm from my father to my wife?

This is a discussion on How do I transfer legal ownership of a firearm from my father to my wife? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I live in Colorado and purchased a XD SC9 from my dad for my wife for CCW. Now if the worst would happen and she ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » How do I transfer legal ownership of a firearm from my father to my wife?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 22483
How do I transfer legal ownership of a firearm from my father to my wife?

I live in Colorado and purchased a XD SC9 from my dad for my wife for CCW. Now if the worst would happen and she has to use it, I don't want it registered to my dad. Basically I don't want he or she getting in any kind of trouble if the firearm was used in self-defense and it was still registered to him.

Anyone able to tell me what I need to do to switch registration or do I need to worry about it?
jaydoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
Not knowing your laws there, I would suggest checking with a local dealer. We don't have registration in Missouri.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 22483
Registration isn't required here in Colorado either. If it was just a target pistol or recreational firearm I wouldn't bother but since it could theoretically end up being used on another person I figured all the i's need dotted and t's crossed.
jaydoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Cat Herder

Have your father make out a bill of sale...That should keep the paper trail intact.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Old 02-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5956
In MO you had to get a permit to acquire a handgun until last year. It was illegal to transfer ownership permanently without one. If something like that is required in CO, you should follow the law and get it done. If there are no state laws concerning transfer of ownership, you're good to go. The ATF doesn't require paperwork as long as you're both private individuals (not dealers) and live in the same state.

Polymerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
Local and state laws apply, but here are the Federal Laws:
Federal Firearms Laws and regulations

tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
In MO you had to get a permit to acquire a handgun until last year. It was illegal to transfer ownership permanently without one. If something like that is required in CO, you should follow the law and get it done. If there are no state laws concerning transfer of ownership, you're good to go. The ATF doesn't require paperwork as long as you're both private individuals (not dealers) and live in the same state.
Dumb law went bye-bye!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
change gun resistration in missouri
how do you transfer gun ownership in missouri
how to transfer a gun in mo

how to transfer gun ownership in missouri

how to transfer ownership of a gun in missouri
how to transfer ownership of a gun in sc
how to transfer ownership of a handgun in sc
how to transfer ownership of a pistol in missouri
how to transfer ownership of a rifle from father to son in oregon
transfer gun ownership in missouri
transfer gun ownership missouri
transfer of gun ownership in missouri
transfer ownership of gun in missouri
transferring gun ownership in missouri
transferring gun ownership missouri
Click on a term to search for related topics.