• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

A handgun warning while traveling through Illinois

This is a discussion on A handgun warning while traveling through Illinois within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; <TABLE class=yspcontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=974 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="" vAlign=top width=720> I do not want anyone traveling through our lovely state to have their holidays spoiled by ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » A handgun warning while traveling through Illinois

Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18091
A handgun warning while traveling through Illinois

<TABLE class=yspcontent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=974 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="" vAlign=top width=720>
I do not want anyone traveling through our lovely state to have their holidays spoiled by a routine traffic stop! Bill Maas was in trouble anyway but he had the additional misdemeanor charge placed against him for having a loaded handgun in the car. I am putting this our so you can be aware of the way Illinois State Patrol Troopers will view having a handgun that is loaded in the automobile. My nephew is a State Trooper and they are not very understanding when they see a weapon in the passenger compartment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Bill Maas headed to trial March 10

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Bill Maas headed to trial March 10

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" height="1" width="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>December 4, 2007

PEKIN, Ill. (AP) -- Bill Maas, a former Fox Sports broadcaster who used to play in the NFL, will be tried March 10 on drug and weapons charges.
Maas was arraigned Monday, pleading not guilty and requesting a jury trial. He was charged with two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance after Illinois State Police allegedly found cocaine and ecstasy in his sport utility vehicle during a July roadside safety check in East Peoria. The 45-year-old broadcaster is also charged with misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon after police said he had a loaded handgun in the car. Maas, a lineman, played for the Kansas City Chiefs and the Green Bay Packers from 1984-93.

For an additional read -

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary.
Gen. A. M. Gray, USMC Commandant of the Marine Corps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
bat1159man is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
The drugs and loaded gun would piss off a lot of state troopers, no matter what state.
Bad ju-ju.

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

I agree - Bill Maas was toast and the gun charge was an extra. My concern is for anyone from a state that has better gun laws coming through Illinois during the holidays. If they are not aware of the potential consequences of carrying a loaded firearm, it could really spoil the holiday trip by being booked on a Class 4 Felony.

Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
No offense but if I were a cop and caught someone with drugs and a gun, I would do my best to put them away for as long as I could as well. A gun in a car I'd let slide if they were squeaky clean, if not THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE A GUN. and i"m locking them up
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Cat Herder

Member #: 4
No Maas, No Maas!

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

"The giving to others in need is my right and indeed, my privilage. It is NOT however, my obligation." - Frenchy~2011

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
XDTalk 4K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
No Maas, No Maas!

ROTFLMAO - nicely done Frenchy!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 4732
I;m driving from Florida to Minneapolis - probably leaving this coming weekend or early next week.

I have to go through both Illinois and Wisconsin (without making any absurd detours....besides, I'd like and stop and see a friend near Lake Zurich, Ill.

Will I be OK if my guns are unloaded and in the trunk (actually back of an SUV)? Ammo locked in a separate box?

I looked at the "handgunsUSA" site but it is not as clear as the old "packing.org" - which had everything spelled out more clearly.

My route will go through GA, Tenn., and Ky...all recognize my Fl. CCW. Then Ill and Wis., which don't. Then Mn which also does not, but at least it's a shall issue state, so I'm guessing I can have the guns unloaded and locked in the car. It's Ill. and Wisconson that concern me...only two states in the US that have NO CCW permits (or that's the way it looks).

Not taking the guns isn't an option since I will probably not return to Florida...MN. is a stop on my way to my ultimate destination of Colorado.

I'll have two rifles, but since every state allows hunting, I don't see them as much of a problem locked in hard cases unloaded....is that right?

Edit: read the link in the first post (guess I should have before). Looks like I'll be OK in Illinois, Now I just need to find out about Wisconson. Looks like Illinois I just need to have guns unloaded and not readily accessible (back of car and zipped up in back-pack). Ammo seems to be a non issue as long as it's also kept in the "trunk" (back of SUV and not readily accessible).

What struck me as stange is my Fl CCW permit is not recognized in Colorado, but a Colorado permit is OK here. Too bad for me. Mn. permit is not recognized very widely at all. Again, too bad. Nebraska (I'll need to go through) seems to not honor Fl, Mn. or Co....

Peace,
D.

Last edited by Delija; 12-04-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Delija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
tec
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 3850
How many times have y'all been pulled over and searched????

Me= none.

Yes I have gotten tickets, but never ever searched (this does not cout airports and court houses, where I am ALWAYS searched), even when I am standing in someone else's house, who is on vacation and I tell the sherriff's / state troopers / local leo that I accidentally set off the alarm because I didn't know the alarm was on. I show the LEO's my license, they look at it, and give it back and leave.

I must just look innocent (unlike Frenchy)!!

tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 16895
two guns

Traveling through the anti gun state I still keep a loaded gun in the car just better hidden cover it with a scent killer soaked rag

and have in the trunk a empty gun ammo & clips all locked up and separate seems to apease them ..when a ccw comes up on their computer they do have cause to search
or so I was told. even if you say you have no gun--

I was told if the LEO says well we can wait for the a search warrent or lets wait for my supervisor

call his bluff he does not have grounds and is trying to have you ok it rather than wait
call their bluff - I did after a half hour I was told to go.
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec View Post
How many times have y'all been pulled over and searched????

Me= none.
Good point....me neither. But I'd rather comply than not especially since it's easy - just have to know the rules to be able to know HOW to comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busker View Post
Traveling through the anti gun state I still keep a loaded gun in the car just better hidden cover it with a scent killer soaked rag
Your call. Me, I'd rather play it safe.....

Tec asked how many times anyone's been pulled over and searched. How many times have you needed to have a loaded gun in the car?

Seems chances are FAR higher of having your car searched than needing a loaded gun. Lots of downside, upside is possible, but so is winning the lottery.

Peace,
D.
Delija is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can i carry a loaded hand gun in my car travling through il.
can i have a gun in my vehicle in the state of illinois
can i leave a loaded gun in my car illinois
can i travel through illinios with handgun in my car?
can i travel through illinois with a gun
car travel gun illinois
how do i travel thru can i travel through illinois with a handgun
how must a handgun be carried in a vehicle while travalling through illinois
how to travel through illinois with a gun
im from ohio can i travel to illinois with my gun
traveling in illinois with a handgun

traveling through illinois with a handgun

traveling through illinois with handgun

traveling with a handgun in illinois

travelling through illinois with a handgun

what to do with handgun when traveling through illinois
Click on a term to search for related topics.