• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

XD finish durability

This is a discussion on XD finish durability within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I own an earlier Xd 9 service model with old finish and it has rust issues in South Florida(where I live). I would like to ...

Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 20011
XD finish durability

I own an earlier Xd 9 service model with old finish and it has rust issues in South Florida(where I live). I would like to know how the new Melonite finish is holding up against rust and surface wear. I was told by Springfield's customer service department that their Melonite is essentially the same finish as Glock's Tennifer and HS's Croatian Tennifer plus. I have a Xd subcompact 9mm Bi-tone on order and I was wondering if the extra money for the SS slide is worth it over the Melonite. Please help me?!
I can be emailed at: usa4us@comcast.net

Last edited by gunnery; 09-13-2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add my email
gunnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 20876
I just called SA (jon @ 1-800-680-6866 ext 8948 ) to have my XD (older finish) sent in to be refinished. Its free for the most part (they reimbrse up to 50 bucks for shipping) and is supposed to be a much better finish.

As far as your new pistol, the new finish is good for me, i live a few blocks off the beach in So Cal, no rust issues yet.
hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Thanks hitman. So, do you think I should just go with the Melonite finish or pay the extra $40.00 for the stainless slide?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 12353
It would be up to you on that point. Both the SS and Melonite offer greata rust/corrosion resistance. With general maintenance of the firearm, rust shouldn't be an issue anyway, but with either of those two finishes, you should be just fine either way.

It all comes down to personal preference on color.

aka 'Sneaky Pete'

Last edited by mattjohnston87; 09-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.
mattjohnston87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Thanks Matt. It's just that here in South Florida most guns in this very high humidity develope surface rust, even with diligent care.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 17804
Well, I feel you. I have an older finish xd9-sc. Here in south Texas we have the same issues with humidity and rust. I just sent out my gun to SA to refinish with the newer finish. On the other hand my xd45 tactical has the new finish and I have been carrying it for the past week. No issues with rust yet. As far as the SS and black finish goes, it is up to your taste.
TURK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18995
Hey Gunnery, I'm also in So.Fl (Miami) and own a 45c w/ the newer finish. I'd say send it to SA and see what they can offer you.

In terms of rust, so far after few months & 750rds (still a baby!!!) the finish looks much like when I first got it. I tend to clean it after every trip to the range tho, so don't know if that makes much difference. If anything I'm finding the holster wear is MUCH more prominent than actual 'use' wear on the melonite.
Liquid Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
XDTalk Member

Liquid Rhino- Do you think an Xd9sc with a stainless slide will retain a newer, less worn, less superficial rust look than the Melonite over time?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 18995
Honestly, I can't say firsthand. My thoughts would be that a Stainless slide would probably show less wear due to it's overall brighter appearance from general use & holsters so long as it's cleaned often. Whether or not the actual wear factor on the slide finish is similar, I have no clue, sorry.

Don't know if this might help answer your question, but I do have a very 15+yr old Stainless S&W 357 revolver that still looks excellent (at least, more presentable) vs. my 3-4 month old XD45 w/ melonite, but I fear that's not exactly apples to apples..
Liquid Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman View Post
I just called SA (jon @ 1-800-680-6866 ext 8948 ) to have my XD (older finish) sent in to be refinished. Its free for the most part (they reimbrse up to 50 bucks for shipping) and is supposed to be a much better finish.
So, how much did it cost you out-of-pocket to get it refinished?

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
durability of a melonite pistol
durability of melonite finish
how durable is springfield's melonite finish?
melonite durability

melonite finish durability

springfield xd durability

springfield xd finish durability

springfield xd melonite durability
springfield xd melonite finish durability
springfield xd9 durability
springfiled xd durability
xd subcompact durability
xd subcompact durable
xd9 durability
xd9 finish
Click on a term to search for related topics.