• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Can i record a Police stop?

This is a discussion on Can i record a Police stop? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Several people have mentioned the police have accused them of failing to notify they have a ccw when stopped(must notify in Ohio). I'm wondering if ...

Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 2089
Can i record a Police stop?

Several people have mentioned the police have accused them of failing to notify they have a ccw when stopped(must notify in Ohio). I'm wondering if I can legally voice record a traffic stop? Id like to clip a digital voice recorder to my visor and activate it as soon as I'm lit up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
nikon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 2714
If the officer has a camera in his car and has the option of recording the conversation, you have the same rights as the officer. If you are doing it to protect yourself in case you go to court, you best contact an attorney and ask them how and what is admissible in court.

OS
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 17789
Recording a traffic stop...

The answer you seek is.......yes. You can legally audio or video record a traffic stop. There are absolutely no laws that forbid it. I am a Deputy here in Tennessee and I actually reccomend it! I once stopped a person for a minor traffic violation who later claimed that I had threatened him and that he had recorded it on a voice recorder. The courts pulled my cruiser tape and video and there happened to be a part in the video where my voice was muffled for a bit. Of course, the driver claimed that this is where I threatened his life. He said he could prove it! He had audio! That rascally genius ! Well, turns out that his audio was clearer and easier to understand, and the muffled part was actually me asking how his weekend was going! Ha! Score one for the good guy! Thanks buddy!

Sound of the drums
Beatin' in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart.
You've been...

THUNDERSTRUCK!
DCSOXD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 2089
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSOXD40 View Post
The answer you seek is.......yes. You can legally audio or video record a traffic stop. There are absolutely no laws that forbid it. I am a Deputy here in Tennessee and I actually reccomend it! I once stopped a person for a minor traffic violation who later claimed that I had threatened him and that he had recorded it on a voice recorder. The courts pulled my cruiser tape and video and there happened to be a part in the video where my voice was muffled for a bit. Of course, the driver claimed that this is where I threatened his life. He said he could prove it! He had audio! That rascally genius ! Well, turns out that his audio was clearer and easier to understand, and the muffled part was actually me asking how his weekend was going! Ha! Score one for the good guy! Thanks buddy!

cool. glad it worked out in your favor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
nikon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 18090
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSOXD40 View Post
My god, you bastard!!!!! How do you sleep at night???

We must all fear evil men; But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Gravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

I sleep fine, thank you.....in between all of the uncontrollable laughter that is!

Sound of the drums
Beatin' in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart.
You've been...

THUNDERSTRUCK!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 9308
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon777 View Post
Several people have mentioned the police have accused them of failing to notify they have a ccw when stopped(must notify in Ohio). I'm wondering if I can legally voice record a traffic stop? Id like to clip a digital voice recorder to my visor and activate it as soon as I'm lit up.
Just curious.. how often do you get "lit up" ? I haven't been pulled over in quite a while. The batteries in mine would go dead.
Sirius1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
Wonder if I can wear my Hatcam??

USPSA

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13427
It probably depends on the laws in your state. Some states have laws which state that you have to ask permission before you record someone. I think this is what OS was getting at when he said that you can do this in states where cops are allowed to record you, but I'm not sure.

Frank
CCW permit holder

Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid.
-Ronald Reagan
FrankRizzoXD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

There is a federal mandate on the books that states if a stop is initiated by an LEO or someone with the authority to make a stop, then you have the right to record that interaction with audio or video without notifying the initiating officer. Now, if you approach the officer for an interview or something along those lines, then yes, you do have to notify him that he is being recorded.

Sound of the drums
Beatin' in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart.
You've been...

THUNDERSTRUCK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can i film police in tn
can i record a cop in tn
can i record the police in tn
can i video the police in tennessee

can you film police in tennessee

can you record a police officer in tennessee
can you record a police stop ol
can you record a traffic stop
can you record a traffic stop in ohio

can you record police in tennessee

can you record police in tn

can you record police in washington state

can you record police officers in the state of tennessee
can you record the police in tennesee
do i have to notify police i am recording audio
video recording police in tennessee
Click on a term to search for related topics.