• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Transferring ownership of guns when a loved one dies. (Michigan)

This is a discussion on Transferring ownership of guns when a loved one dies. (Michigan) within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Does anyone know this process, or where to get information? My wifes father passed away yesterday and we're trying to put things in order. He ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Transferring ownership of guns when a loved one dies. (Michigan)

Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 9391
Transferring ownership of guns when a loved one dies. (Michigan)

Does anyone know this process, or where to get information? My wifes father passed away yesterday and we're trying to put things in order. He has a lot of guns and we need to know what process to use to transfer ownership. Being Michigan, the rifles can and have been moved, but the handguns would obviously require some sort of process. Can anybody help me out? I'm sorry if this post is a little wobbly, but we just lost him, and I haven't gotten a lot of sleep.

(I'm a gun person, so I don't need any sort of basic gun advice here, I've just never had anyone die and leave a bunch of guns behind to deal with. My brother in law is the exectutor of his estate, but he needs my help getting the information, and since he and I will be dividing the guns up between us, (There are MANY guns here.) we would really appreciate the help.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 6236
8. My uncle had a .357 magnum revolver registered in his name when he died. My brother has had custody of the gun but now wants to give it to me. What procedure do I follow to gain legal possession of this gun in Michigan, since my uncle obviously cannot sign it over to me?
MCL 28.422 Michigan statutes provide for the personal representative of the estate or next of kin having authority to dispose of the pistol to sign the License to Purchase as the seller.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...0953--,00.html

If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
Ronald Reagan
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
change gun registration after original owner passed away

changing ownership of guns when a person dies

death transfer guns

gun registration after someone dies michigan

how do you transfer hand gun to husband after wife dies
how to register a pistol from a deceased relative in mi
how to sell guns in pennsylvania after the owner passed away

how to transfer guns after a death in michigan

how to.tranfers what happens to guns after death
husband has died i want to transfer his guns
michigan gun transfer from estate

michigan law transferring handguns after parents death

transfer of firearms upon death in michigan

transferring a gun in pa when person has died

what to do with guns when someone dies

Click on a term to search for related topics.