• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Giving a gun as a gift... Across state lines?

This is a discussion on Giving a gun as a gift... Across state lines? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I am thinking about buying my Dad a handgun as a gift. My Dad is the one who taught me to shoot and hunt, and ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Giving a gun as a gift... Across state lines?

Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 8432
Giving a gun as a gift... Across state lines?

I am thinking about buying my Dad a handgun as a gift. My Dad is the one who taught me to shoot and hunt, and has generally encouraged my interest in firearms (for utility and recreation). He's always owned guns, but never a handgun. He's done a lot for me over the years, and last time he was down we went to the range. After a nice afternoon of shooting my various guns, he told me that he had "always wanted a nice handgun". His desire for a handgun for home defense was only compounded when my parents' neighbor was murdered in her home in the middle of the night, not thirty feet from where my parents were sleeping at the time... It's been a few years ago now, but that sort of thing always remains in the back of your mind.

Anyway... Since I am in a position that would allow me to get him something nice, I figured a handgun would be a great gift. The problem is that I live in Ohio and he lives in the "Republic of Illinois". What would I legally have to do to give him a gun? Are there exceptions to the transport rules that allow for "family transactions"? How would I find out? He does have his FOID, that much I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.
Hooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14627
you should just have him go through the hoops and then pay for the gun.
unless you want this as a suprise.

i've considered this for my cousin and seems to be the reasonable/legal way in cali.

Les
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 10006
This is a ****ty situation. To give ah handun across state lines you must...

Ship the handgun to a dear who then does the 4470 (whatever it is) on your dad. You have to pay for the shipping and transfer fees.

Or you can go to where you dad is, and both of you go to a dealer, and fill out the form and pay the fee and then he can have it. You cannot have him fill out the paperwirk, and you pay for it, that is technicaly illegal. and you cannot just give it to him.
Timmy44221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy44221

Ship the handgun to a dear who then does the 4470 (whatever it is) on your dad. You have to pay for the shipping and transfer fees.

Or you can go to where you dad is, and both of you go to a dealer, and fill out the form and pay the fee and then he can have it. You cannot have him fill out the paperwirk, and you pay for it, that is technicaly illegal. and you cannot just give it to him.
King Rod doesn't like guns, so he makes it as hard as he can for we knaves. You can, however, loan a gun to a friend or family member as long as you do not have knowledge that they plan to use it illegally. I'm pretty sure there's no stipulation to how long you can loan it.
east_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6817
When dealing with "Republic of Illinois" I would spend the extra cash and go through a FFL. You could go to www.packing.org ,and and find out for sure what the laws are.

Better safe the behind bars.
40SWXDSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 14171
Thank God I live in Georgia....I just gave a buddy $400 bucks cash and he gave me a 1911 gun. Nothing else required or needed..done..finished.

BTW, what kind of gun were you considering...a semi-auto or a classic revolver? Can't go wrong with a good ole .357 revolver for simplicity and reliabilty. Your dad is a lucky man, good luck in your endeavor.

Last edited by MGD 45; 02-20-2007 at 11:53 AM.
MGD 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 14627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy44221

really? even if his dad does the paperwork and goes through the background and hooz just pays for it. thats illegal? thats a stupid law. you would think that would be ok.

edit: or can he just give his dad the funds.

Les
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD 45
Thank God I live in Georgia....I just gave a buddy $400 bucks cash and he gave me a 1911 gun. Nothing else required or needed..done..finished.
That's how it is for FTF transactions here in Ohio, too.

My Dad is kind of "old school", so I was thinking about a decent, inexpensive 1911 for him. Second choice would be an XD-45 Compact, of course! I'd like to keep it a surprise, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

What are the laws for purchasing a gun in a different state? What if I took him to the gun shop the next time he was here and he "bought" the gun himself? Could he then, legally, transport it back home?

*EDIT* - I answered my own question!

Quote:
(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off.

Last edited by Hooz; 02-20-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Hooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 6817
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrange
really? even if his dad does the paperwork and goes through the background and hooz just pays for it. thats illegal? thats a stupid law. you would think that would be ok.

edit: or can he just give his dad the funds.

I think what he is talking about is a "Straw Buy", and it's up to the shop owner if he thinks it's a straw buy or not.
He could have his dad buy what he wants, and give him the cash to cover it.
If the gun dealer even thinks it's a straw he will not make the sale, he can lose his FFL, and go to jail for it.
www.packing.org is your best bet for getting the right answers for buying or sell guns.
40SWXDSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 15306
uote:
Originally Posted by MGD 45
That's how it is for FTF transactions here in Ohio, too.

My Dad is kind of "old school", so I was thinking about a decent, inexpensive 1911 for him. Second choice would be an XD-45 Compact, of course! I'd like to keep it a surprise, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.

What are the laws for purchasing a gun in a different state? What if I took him to the gun shop the next time he was here and he "bought" the gun himself? Could he then, legally, transport it back home?

I ran into this problem too, I do not think they will sell a handgun to someone out of state. Texas wont let someone from new mexico buy a handgun the dealer said it was a federal law, that you had to buy the handgun in the state you reside in.
zac07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
can i gift a handgun to my grandkids in mn
can i give a gun as a gift legally across state lines
gift rifle accross state line

gifting firearms across state lines

giving a gun as a gift across state lines
giving a long giving a gun as a gift in tennessee
giving gun to family member across state line
gun gift across state lines
in illinois can i give a gun to family member
interstate family gun gift
moving guns across state lines as gifts
ohio buy handgun as a gift illinois
out of state gun gift
shipping a shotgun across state lines

shipping firearms across state lines

transport gifted gun from illinois to michigan
Click on a term to search for related topics.