• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

What does it mean to register a weapon?

This is a discussion on What does it mean to register a weapon? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Have you ever seen or read about people charged with having unregistered weapons in their possession? What does this mean? When you buy a weapon ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » What does it mean to register a weapon?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 12028
What does it mean to register a weapon?

Have you ever seen or read about people charged with having unregistered weapons in their possession? What does this mean?

When you buy a weapon a fill out the BATF background paperwork, you are merely being screened to see if you can buy the gun....it doesn't mean the sale went through.

Are there state laws requiring you to 'register' your weapon with the sheriff, court-house, etc?

What about buying a gun from another citizen...I know some states require a FFL transfer but many do not. So where does this 'registration' come into play?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6488
Some places, like Commmiefornia, require that all assault weapons be registerd with the Police. Other places, like Hawaii or Las Vegas, require all handguns be registered with the police. I have never lived in any of these states, but this is what I have heard from reading around and listening in on the boards.

It's also been said that one has to register handguns in Washington State, but I believe this is a load of garbage as I live here and never once came across that in the Revised Code of Washington or at any of the gun shows here.

I think it all depends on where you are and how liberal your state is. try www.packing.org for more details and to maybe correct me on my hearsay knowledge.

Thanks Beardman2 for this site:PLEASE CHECK IT OUT AND HELP IF YOU CAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
maverick9614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 13672
Kansas doesn't have any registration laws, but sadly, some states do. You must register your gun locally and get permission from that government agency to exercise your right to own it.
any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 6236
Michigan requires a "safety inspection" that in all reality is a registration, on the inspection card it even states they have not done an actual safety check, go figure.

If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."
Ronald Reagan
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 6481
Gun Registration is something the antis made up to "feel" safe while in reality it will do nothing to keep you or anyone else safe.

If a criminal with a registered gun goes out and kills someone, there is noway the police would know it was the criminal who did it anyways.
blefferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 14062
i was talking with a local store owner, who just got his CHL the other day in the mail. he told me texas has a 2 week wait period on purchase (a cool down period he called it).

said he confirmed it with the police who frequent his store.
i gave him a curious look, and told him i dont think thats right at all. i went right in and purchased my XD and walked out with it the same day (same hour actually).

the various (mis)information is rampant, go to your states website and they should have something to read about it.
also www.packing.org iirc may have info on various states gun laws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
BoomerBSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 9231
In Omaha, Nebraska...any weapon you bring into city limits has to be registered, for a $10 fee...with Omaha PD.

Needless to say I don't go to Omaha much.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
In Omaha, Nebraska...any weapon you bring into city limits has to be registered, for a $10 fee...with Omaha PD.

Needless to say I don't go to Omaha much.
correction, any handgun you bring into omaha needs to be registered. However, nobody is sure whether this just means Omaha residents. Or if a person visiting while carrying has to register. I don't think they have to, but we'll find out eventually.
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
It means you live in Occupied America...not Free America like us in Texas.

- Brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBollinger

When you buy a weapon a fill out the BATF background paperwork, you are merely being screened to see if you can buy the gun....it doesn't mean the sale went through.

Are there state laws requiring you to 'register' your weapon with the sheriff, court-house, etc?

What about buying a gun from another citizen...I know some states require a FFL transfer but many do not. So where does this 'registration' come into play?
In Maryland you fill out the BATF paperwork as well as Maryland state police paperwork, the state police also do an indept backround check on you as well as the fedrail check. The Guns serial number is on the paperwork and filled under you name. If its a new gun they also file away the factory fired shell casing--so thats one day they might cross refrence it in a crime--yea they toss them in a room never to be seen again. If you buy a gun from anyone in the state, or are given a gun say from your dad, it must be registared. There is a 7 day wait from when you do your paperwork--if you can find it they often run out of forms and tell you you just have to wait. Think they don't keep a database on gun owners think again, some of my paperwork got misplaced on one of my 1911's when I was buying it, and it had been like 15 days I was quite nice on the phone every time, and finally said look Maryland law says after 7 days even without the paperwork the gun can be transfered, I tried to be pacient and work this out, but I was not waiting years for it to be found, or paying again to do the paperwork only for you to find the orginal and then deny it becuase it was filed twice(yep had that happen too). The officer on the phone said well you already have a few 1911's why do you even need another. I said thanks Gun control making law abidding citizens into crimnals everyday, and kindly asked for his superviser. His supervizer and myself belong to the same gun club--needless to say he was very nice said he would have a word with the officer and called me back the next day to say he had found the paperwork.
SA Black Stainless Loaded 1911
Sig Pro 2009 Custom
S&W 686
Mossberg 590 Mariner Coat
Benelli M1
Stag Arms AR15 M4gery
Stag Arms AR15 24" SS Bull Barrel Upper
AK47 Underfolder
Norinco SKS
Just a few of my Favorites
"Guns- ain't nothing wrong with that"
Corey G is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

how to get a gun registered in your name

if i buy a gun at walmart does that mean its registered

register your weapon

what does gun registration mean

what does it mean to have a gun registered

what does it mean to have a registered gun

what does it mean to register a firearm

what does it mean to register a gun

what does it mean to register your guns
what does it mean when you buy a gun and the batf says you are under review
what does registering a handgun mean?
what does registering my guns mean
what does unregistered handgun mean
what regersting a firearm means
when you buy a gun at a gun store does that mean it what is registered
where do you register your gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.