• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Man arrested trying to blow up Wichita airport

This is a discussion on Man arrested trying to blow up Wichita airport within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Source: ARREST MADE IN TERROR PLOT TO BLOW UP WICHITA AIRPORT WICHITA, Kan. -- A Wichita man is in federal custody after authorities say he ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Man arrested trying to blow up Wichita airport

Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
Man arrested trying to blow up Wichita airport

Source: ARREST MADE IN TERROR PLOT TO BLOW UP WICHITA AIRPORT

Quote:
WICHITA, Kan. -- A Wichita man is in federal custody after authorities say he planned to blow up Mid-Continent Airport.

The U.S. Attorney's Office and FBI held a media briefing in downtown Wichita earlier today concerning the foiled terror plot.

U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom and Special Agent in Charge Michael Kaste of the FBI office in Kansas City announced charges against 58-year-old Terry Lee Loewen of Wichita, an avionics technician at Mid-Continent Airport.

Grissom said Loewen spent months planning the attack. He said Loewen studied the layout of the airport and flight schedules.

Grissom said Loewen planned to use his access card to enter airport property and detonate a vehicle filled with high explosives. He planned to pull the trigger on the explosives himself and die as a martyr.

Instead, he was arrested at 5:40 a.m. today at the airport by members of the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force.

Loewen was taken into custody as he tried to use his security card to enter the tarmac and deliver what he believed was a vehicle filled with explosives. Grissom said the devices were inert and would never explode. Loewen was arrested without incident.

Grissom said at no time was the public in any danger. He added there is no indication Loewen was involved with any religious community in Wichita.

Loewen is charged with attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, attempting to damage property with explosives and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terror organization. If found guilty he faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Loewen was arraigned Friday and will remain jailed for at least another week as the government prepares its case.

He appeared before Magistrate Judge Karen Humphreys and answered "yes" in a strong voice to various procedural questions.

A judge granted the government's request to keep Loewen detained at least until a hearing next Friday. Loewen was characterized as a flight risk and a danger to the community.

With black hair and a slight build, Loewen wore a hooded sweat jacket in court. His attorney and his wife also attended, but they both declined comment to reporters.

Loewen is an employee of the Hawker Beechcraft Services facility at Mid-Continent. A Beechcraft spokesperson said he has been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, and that the company is working closely with federal authorities.

Prosecutors will present their case to the grand jury in federal court on Wednesday, December 18. Loewen will have preliminary and detention hearings on Friday, December 20.
Read the story and the official release... This guy was just an idiot. From what it sounds like, he was in contact with the FBI throughout his whole "plot". I live in Wichita... I might have been cheering him on for the sole fact that our airport is atrocious. Clear the terminals, then let him get the demolition done for us haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

No such thing as perfect practice, just people who give a damn about what they're doing.

Quote:
Don't mess with the DeskŪ
XD9SC - 3000
Mossberg 500 18.5" HD / 28" VR-P Field Combo - 150
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 96673
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjr View Post
Read the story and the official release... This guy was just an idiot. From what it sounds like, he was in contact with the FBI throughout his whole "plot". I live in Wichita... I might have been cheering him on for the sole fact that our airport is atrocious. Take all the people out and let him get the demolition done for us haha
I live 2 1/2 miles from the airport here in Wichita.

While I agree that our airport is "atrocious", a $200 million renovation on the airport is taking place as you speak. No need to "let him get the demolition done for us."

"Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now." - Clark Griswold
doodledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 96673
Also, I read your "take all the people out" and thought you were saying "TAKE all the people out" (but realize that you meant make sure no one was there). Might want to make sure that isn't construed the wrong way or people will think us Wichitans are all like that.

Either way, I'm sure that guys feels like a total douche bag for getting played like that!

"Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now." - Clark Griswold
doodledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 77836
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledad View Post
I live 2 1/2 miles from the airport here in Wichita.

While I agree that our airport is "atrocious", a $200 million renovation on the airport is taking place as you speak. No need to "let him get the demolition done for us."
I know about the construction... I work for a company that bid on the site work for a contractor that lost.

Yeah that's what I meant... REMOVE the people, then let him take out the old terminals. Of course I mess that up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

No such thing as perfect practice, just people who give a damn about what they're doing.

Quote:
Don't mess with the DeskŪ
XD9SC - 3000
Mossberg 500 18.5" HD / 28" VR-P Field Combo - 150
taylorjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 22547
Take out the dog....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledad View Post
Also, I read your "take all the people out" and thought you were saying "TAKE all the people out" (but realize that you meant make sure no one was there)....

"The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions."
- Daniel Webster, statesman and senator (1782-1852)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm."
- James Madison, Federalist No. 10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic."
- Unknown

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
NRA Life Member 153120629
jmichna is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

foiled terror plot wichita

who tried to blow up witchta air[port

Click on a term to search for related topics.