• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Flys. I have them. How do I get rid of them?

This is a discussion on Flys. I have them. How do I get rid of them? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; RAID!?!?! Whether I'm in the tent or camper, 10 minutes I before retire, I give a quick squirt (more for the camper, and I stay ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Flys. I have them. How do I get rid of them?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
CID
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 55758
Talking

RAID!?!?!

Whether I'm in the tent or camper, 10 minutes I before retire, I give a quick squirt (more for the camper, and I stay outside). I keep the can next to my pillow in case one of the fvkers misses the first shot.

There's also a can right here in the shop for 'em, photo enclosed.

Yep, it's poison and makes me cough a bit (short squirts if I'm in the room), but it's worth it: I hunt 'em like big game, MF'ers. I get great pleasure hearing their dying buzzing as they stumble around the room, bouncing off the window glass. (single, so I do what I want)

Ok, so why don't we have any 'shoot 'em up' smilies?

Just a retired guy watching the USA go Tango Utah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #12
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82252
They are there because somewhere in or around the house is a good supply of rotting food, probably meat.

Till you get rid of that food source you cannot get rid of the flies.

You can find "fly predators", little wasps that kill them online. These wasps target only insects and will not bother people.

They are the best "natural control" other than removing the food source.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 47428
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
They are there because somewhere in or around the house is a good supply of rotting food, probably meat.

Till you get rid of that food source you cannot get rid of the flies.

You can find "fly predators", little wasps that kill them online. These wasps target only insects and will not bother people.

They are the best "natural control" other than removing the food source.
Bingo.
cz75luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 22287
Check your crawl space/attic/chimney for a dead critter.
Wild Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 77338
Day 2:

I woke up today with two or three flies buzzing around my room. I took the fly swatter from the night stand and was able to get one of them. The others will have to be killed another day.

I went into the living room and then the kitchen. When I turned on the kitchen light I noticed no less than 15 flies on the light. I was able to get 3 with one swat. The rest scrambled and landed in various places on and near the light. I decided to tape fresh flypaper to the light and will be leaving it on all day to see if they will land on this flypaper as they are attracted to that light.

I also swatted about 10 flies that were clinging to the walls around the house. I hit a few that didn't die but were obviously crippled, crawling around on the ground unable to fly. These will surely die slowly and painfully. I made the decision not to finish them off in the hopes that their friends will see what their fate will be.

The spider web has grown substantially overnight and had no less than four flies in it. Good man spider, good man. I may let you live even after the flies have gone. I appreciate your assistance in this fight we wage against a common foe - comrade.

I did want to mention that when I hung up one strip of fly tape by the big light in the kitchen that I went to hang a second strip on the other side of the light (it is a long rectangle ceiling light) and looked back and the first strip had already caught two flies. I hope to have a bounty when I return from work tonight.

Also, I was planning on purchasing an "ASaltGun" which is like a shotgun that shoots salt and is designed to kill flies. I learned today that they are about $40. Seems a little much for a device that has very mixed reviews. For now I am holding off but if the trend of more flies continues I may be forced to make the purchase.

So I cleaned under the fridge, the washing machine, and the oven trying to find he source of the flies and have found nothing. The trash was taken out (prematurely I may add) and I looked through the cabinets and under the sink again to look for any sign of their source and am finding nothing. The are obviously concentrated in the kitchen but a few seem to like my room best.

I also setup a trap I read about that uses dish soap and water in a bowl. I set it out last night and this did not catch a single fly.

That is all for now. I hope to have good findings when I return home to my traps!

XDM 9mm 3.8 Compact w/Insight X2L Laser/Tac Light and Pearce Grip Extender

Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Uh yeah... that is about it (for now).
PoWdA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 61251
This -
Country Vet - Quality & Value for Farm & Home - Product Details

And wait, then proceed with vacum for cleanup
Crashagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 74142
That salt gun might be a bad idea inside. You'll kill a couple and giggle but you'll probably end up with ants.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
XDTalk Member

Member #: 87735
Haven't you watched the movie Wanted? Shoot the wings off them. I suggest a small fast round. But in reality, cut a pop bottle in half (bigger is better) and flip the top like a funnel and put it in the bottom. Put sugar water in the bottom and watch them collect.
mango_xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 78301
The trap with water and soap doesn't have a bait to attract the flies to it. The soap gets on their wings and they can't fly out. Add some sugar, sweet soda, or fruit juice to your traps and they should produce more flies. Of the three coke products we found coke zero attracted the most insects.
schnyd112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41454
I found these online.

Quote:

Ok, so I had a FLY problem! I got on the computer and looked up how to make a homemade fly trap. I ended up finding a lot of homemade fly traps. I used all the ones I saw with no success so I figured I would try and come up with something. Within seconds, my fly problem was no longer!
I used a pop bottle and cut the top off 4 or 5 inches from the lid. Then I took sugar, honey, vinegar, watermelon juice, and jelly. I mixed the sugar, vinegar, watermelon and cooked it in the microwave for 2 minutes to melt it together. I used about a half of a cup of sugar, 2 tsp. of vinegar and 5 tsp. of watermelon juice, and also 4 tsp. of jelly. I took the jelly and the honey and a spoon and put the honey and jelly all over the top half of soda bottle (the top piece you cut off) then put the water mixture in bottom half of soda bottle (the bottom of the piece you cut in half). Take the top half and turn it upside down and put it into the bottom half of the bottle. Make sure water is not touching the bottle so there's enough space between the water and top piece, so flies will be able to get stuck and die. Now take the tape and tape around the top edge of the bottle so the flies wont get out.
Eventually the flies will drown and they are not smart enough to figure their way out. If they do, they will be back, Also the vinegar keeps the other insects that like sweets away so you end up killing insects you don't want to.I hope this will help everyone who needs help with those annoying flies.
Quote:
RE: Homemade Fly Traps

The commercial guys won't tell you, but in New Zealand the main ingredient they use is blood and bone meal that you put on the garden. Mix it with water for a couple of days just swirl it as it tends to settle at the bottom.

The other thing is here different flies are attracted to different smells so apparently by adding cabbage leaves that will attract a different fly or a fishy smell with attract other types. I have used the blood and bone recipe and it works well. Give it a try what's left over put in the garden.
Brent (08/09/2006) By Brent from New Zealand

Homemade Fly Traps
You need a clean, empty one gallon milk container. Be sure to keep the cap. Cut four or five small holes all around about two inches down from where it starts to slope towards the cap (about where the center of the handle is.) Mix 1/4-cup syrup and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and pour into container. Fill to halfway with water and put on cap. Place a couple of these flytraps where the flies are thick. You will probably have to empty it out every other day or so.
(source)Fly Control
Homemade Fly Traps
Cut a plastic 2-litres soda bottle 1/4 down from the top. Invert top portion into bottom portion. Punch 4 holes at top, tie string (twine) to hold both portions together and hang. Add hamburger or fly bait (I filled the trap with 1 inch of sugar water and added a piece of ham.). Most flies are too stupid to find their way out. (source)File NOT FOUND
Homemade Fly Trap
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
Mix ingredients to make fly bait. Cut a plastic 2 liter soda bottle 1/4 down from the top. Invert top portion into bottom portion. Punch 4 holes at top, tie string (twine) to hold both portions together and hang. Add fly bait and hang at your barn. Dispose of entire container when full of flies. (as you probably know, the longer this hangs the worse it smells and the more flies that it attracts.)
Quote:

Without going into too much detail, I once had to urinate in a clear plastic soda bottle in a fly infested area. It works great, and believe it or not human urine does not have an odor to it. The fly crawls into the bottle, and not being able to get out, falls into the urine and drowns. Might not be practical for the women out there. (07/12/2007)
By Navy Veteran

Firearms: None. All were lost in an unfortunate boating accident on Tempe Townlake.

XDTalk Member Distribution Map

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Instructions on adding yourself are in post #497

texan_eagle_scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

colt le9000 light carbine

how to get rid of flys at a back yard bbq

Click on a term to search for related topics.