• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

kindle rant

This is a discussion on kindle rant within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; got my wife a kindle keyboard over a year ago and after several months it got the dreaded lines on the screen. no problem, amazon ...

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60197
kindle rant

got my wife a kindle keyboard over a year ago and after several months it got the dreaded lines on the screen. no problem, amazon sent out a brand new one no problem.

my wife's birthday is coming up and i bought her a lighted cover for it since the kids broke her last one. i had to scour e-bay for it since amazon doesn't sell them anymore.

it arrives and i'm excited to slip it on the kindle and lo and behold... more freaking lines! (and out of warranty)

amazon will prorate one (barely) and i know i'm going to get her another kindle because she loves it, but i don't know which one to get. i can still get a kindle keyboard and part of me wants to since i just dropped $60 on the cover.

if another kindle is way better i will go through the hassle of selling the cover... so... any kindle gurus out there with some advice? she uses it to read... and i don't know if i really want to go the fire route and end up with a tablet... we have enough gadgets around the house as it is.
thewarriorhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 82315
Is she hard on them? Lines usually mean damage was sustained. Dropping or jarring it, but also very small pinpoint pressure or pressure on the device. Maybe tossing it in a purse or bag? I believe Alt+G is the key combo to refresh the screen, you could see if that helps.

I'd really try to figure out what is happening to the devices because the eink-based ones are more resilient than the fire/tablets.

EDIT: Also, look at how she charges it and the quality of the power. A small, *quality*, single outlet surge protector and proper time charging could solve the issues in a future one. If you know you have power issues (spikes or brownouts) you should get UPS' or even whole house protection.
WirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 81531
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and am pleased with it. My wife has a Kindle Fire that she thinks the world of. The HD has a better screen if movies and games are played. For just an e-book they are about the same.
Sassafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60197
i know it's not a power spike. the kindle was fine last night and left on her dresser, i picked it up this evening and there the lines were... if i buy a new one i plan on taking this one apart to see its guts...

we do have two kids and i suspect they are a possible problem... at least the first time... whatever happens i'll make sure i grill my wife hard on treating this thing better than a safe queen.
thewarriorhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44924
My wife got a paper white for Christmas. She dropped hers in the hot tub in August, and was having DTs from it. She likes the new one even better than the original.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6414
the paper white is awesome. best e-reader available. I have a kindle touch and I can't bring myself to take it on the boat or into the shower so I have a reason to go out and buy the paper white.

For now, I am just going to wait until my kindle touch dies. Seems like every year or so now amazon comes out with a new and improved e-reader... next year could be COLOR e-ink screens. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 86180
best of luck waiting out that kindle color, pretty sure they are going to move the kidle fire more in to the direct light if you want color. It could be cool but i dont for see it. my 2 cents. it could be cool though
civicjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6414
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicjoe View Post
best of luck waiting out that kindle color, pretty sure they are going to move the kidle fire more in to the direct light if you want color. It could be cool but i dont for see it. my 2 cents. it could be cool though
Color e-ink isn't science fiction. I think it all depends on whether or not amazon can subsidized the price of building a kindle "e-ink color" to be low enough price for people to not be scared off by sticker shock.

THIS READER THIS READER
already exists... but check out the price tag.
chupacabrachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
I lost half the screen on my kindle keyboard.

Amazon was going to give me $25 off of one of 3. I tried the touch and hated it (the screen was way to sensitive, as in the cat's tail made it jump 5 pages, and I was always accidentally touching it), so I sent it back. Then the merry go-round round of the screwed up return system started. $25 was way low IMO. This one was one without adds and with the free 3g downloads. Those 2 features are mainly licensing and tack on about $75 to a new one.

all that said, I like dealing with Amazon much more than B&N.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5279
I had a Nook Color but it got out dated fast. I looked hard at getting a Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet to replace it.

In the end, I went with a Nexus 7 tablet. I have total access to Google's app store, not just what Amazon or B&N think I should have. I also have the benefit of being able to use both companies reading apps plus oddball ones to cover anything they don't. I'm extremely happy with it.

And, yes, I do use it for more than an ereader.

DD
"The military is for fighting the enemies of the state. The police are there to defend and protect the people. When the military becomes the police, the enemies of the state become the people." - Commander Adama, The New Battlestar Galactica
daveofspades is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box