• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for a job (MI)

This is a discussion on Looking for a job (MI) within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi all! Currently located in western Michigan, and looking to move to the Rochester, MI area in the spring. I've been looking into housing, as ...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 84109
Looking for a job (MI)

Hi all! Currently located in western Michigan, and looking to move to the Rochester, MI area in the spring. I've been looking into housing, as well as work. This is simply an informal way of feeling out some options with the locals. Anyone know of any good yet reasonably priced apartments and/or good places to work? I'll be 21 by that time, military background, extremely hard worker, and willing to do just about anything for a paycheck. Love being outside, but like I said, I'll do just about anything. Thanks for the help!

"Lord, if today be the day that you bring me home, let me die in a pile of brass"
lmwalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwalz View Post
Hi all! Currently located in western Michigan, and looking to move to the Rochester, MI area in the spring. I've been looking into housing, as well as work. This is simply an informal way of feeling out some options with the locals. Anyone know of any good yet reasonably priced apartments and/or good places to work? I'll be 21 by that time, military background, extremely hard worker, and willing to do just about anything for a paycheck. Love being outside, but like I said, I'll do just about anything. Thanks for the help!
Unless you are ABSOLUTELY stuck on MI for living in, would you could consider working in TX on the oil rigs as a roughneck? I have a buddy who does and he says your ability/willingness to work hard would serve you well in that job...
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinTexas View Post
Unless you are ABSOLUTELY stuck on MI for living in, would you could consider working in TX on the oil rigs as a roughneck? I have a buddy who does and he says your ability/willingness to work hard would serve you well in that job...
I'd consider anything, my fiance and I always joke about moving to Texas some day anyway. On one hand, it'd be a decent job in a great state. On the other, it would kind of defeat the purpose of moving closer to my family and fiance. Definitely something I would consider though. What part of Texas?

"Lord, if today be the day that you bring me home, let me die in a pile of brass"
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmwalz View Post
I'd consider anything, my fiance and I always joke about moving to Texas some day anyway. On one hand, it'd be a decent job in a great state. On the other, it would kind of defeat the purpose of moving closer to my family and fiance. Definitely something I would consider though. What part of Texas?
Houston/Galveston area... You can live further away, but proximity helps... my friend lives in Temple and drives out when he needs to go to work...

There is atleast 1 veteran placement company that specializes in getting vets into the oil field careers... do a search for them if you are interested...
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
When I was deployed with 1/23 (USMC reserve unit there) after the deployment they made us go to a job fair, I recieved lots of offers to do things like that. Seemed like a good place, the infrastructure to get vets a job is definitely there in Houston/Galveston. If I needed a job I'd go there. You interested in law enforcement? If so due to not having funding to teach M4 skills the Houston Sherrif department is definitely giving hiring priority to combat vets. They were hiring us last year, if you have interest in law enforcement, I don't think they were requiring a degree.

Not sure who the group is, but contact a recruiting office in houston they will have the phone number for you. The guys there helping us get jobs are phenominal. IMO much better than the ones in in Michigan, could be an issue of just how many vets are down there, that vets like to hire vets.

I'll keep a lookout though around Detroit.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
Just avoid the whole Metro-Detroit Area. I can understand wanting to be closer to family, but honestly I don't expect SEMI to make a real come-back any time soon.
Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
Don't forget North Dakota. The WHOLE state is hiring, not just the oil rigs. That means both of you would be able to find work. Nearly everyone in the oil patch is working longer hours but making 6 figures
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 126
Didn't Walmart just say they are going to hire thousands of veterans? There are Walmarts in Rochester Hills and surrounding areas.

Everybody and their brother is looking for "whatever they can do"

Got an education? What things are you good in?
zipgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 62643
Try the auto companies, they are all hiring like crazy. Do you have any formal education beyond HS? Die shops (the few remaining shops) are swamped with business.

SE MI employment is getting better.

Personally, if I didn't have decades into the auto industry, I'd move to NC or SC. I also like the hills of TX, but don't know what is available down there.
partdeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Sorry all, guess I should have given a little better background. I have 3 semesters of civil engineering under my belt, and military training. Eventually plan on going active duty with that as a career, however my unit sent me to the Best Warrior competition last fall, and lo and beyold I keep winning. Won Division level in November. With that, I've been given the opportunity to go both Air Assault and Airborne, among much other training, and am on pace to make SGT in about 2 years time in service. Kind of hard to leave all that for an active slot. So, I plan to put active off a couple years, and get a Law Enforcement degree in the meantime. I can do night classes, online, brick and mortor, whatever. But I also like to work, and was really just curious if anyone knew of any decent jobs. I can get a walmart type job just about anywhere, and have never ever had trouble getting hired. But networking is key, and sometimes getting a job comes down to who you know.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box