• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Suitable target backdrop?

This is a discussion on Suitable target backdrop? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I am building a shooting range on my property this spring. I am haveing a load of dirt brought in to build a mound to ...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 82729
Suitable target backdrop?

I am building a shooting range on my property this spring. I am haveing a load of dirt brought in to build a mound to shoot into. I am also going to build a frame to hold a backdrop for a place to tack targets on. I am looking at horse trailer matting. This is very dense rubber, about an inch thick. I think it will work great to tack targets on and should take quite a few rounds before needing replaced. My question is this, should I have any concern about bullets bouncing off? We will be shooting 22, 9 and 40. 20 to 100 yards.
XDs 45
Smith & Wesson SD40
High Point 9mm carbine
Sig Sauer Mosquito
Mossberg MMW Tactical 5.56
spyderhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 54775
I would be interested in seeing pic of it once you get it up and going.

you should update us now and then and let us know how it holds up.
Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70962
my local range uses Tires. They stack stack them up and fill them with dirt. its Advance Bullets is Temple, Ga.

It is hard to see but the target is in front of the dirt mond and the tires are on top and filled with more dirt. I know this isnt what your trying to do but the tires still might work for what you want
JCALDWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 44190
It's called a backstop. I'm sure if you googled that you'd have more results.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26544
we did a pyramid of tires and covered them with dirt...in front of the berm for the target holder to be stapled onto we use conveyor belting.
About the same as what you are asking about it it works fine.

Stacking the tires saved us about 5 triaxle loads of dirt and used tires you can find anywhere and people are glad to get rid of them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
<---MUST READ
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
g40
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 63227
This is my bullet trap. It has about six to twelve inches of sand and a truck plastic/rubber mud flap to keep sand to stay more in place.
I use a roll of freezer paper with coat hanger going through the middle and use cloth pins at top and bottom to keep paper taught. At bottom I clip paper to a bungy cord. I cut out a one foot square cardboard piece and cut out the target shape in that piece. I hold the cardboard target up to freezer paper and spray paint it leaving the target shape on freezer paper. have that target shot up just pull down more paper and paint another target. Much cheaper than buying targets for sure.
You could build a stand made from 2x4 just to hold your freezer paper in front of your dirt backstop.
Every so often I pick out the bullets from sand. I also built a pvc frame which I cover with a sheet to catch the spent casings. No need to look all around for the casings this way.
I walk out my back door and shoot away. I just love not paying for shooting range anymore. Unlike shooting ranges I can walk up to target every few shot to see how I am shooting. I don't have someone standing next to me throwing ejected casings at me either.
Attached Thumbnails
Suitable target backdrop?-bullet-trap-002.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 82080
Best backstop ever? Your inlaws joking i love my inlaws and they love me
harleydavidson1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 70962
Quote:
Originally Posted by g40 View Post
This is my bullet trap. It has about six to twelve inches of sand and a truck plastic/rubber mud flap to keep sand to stay more in place.
I use a roll of freezer paper with coat hanger going through the middle and use cloth pins at top and bottom to keep paper taught. At bottom I clip paper to a bungy cord. I cut out a one foot square cardboard piece and cut out the target shape in that piece. I hold the cardboard target up to freezer paper and spray paint it leaving the target shape on freezer paper. have that target shot up just pull down more paper and paint another target. Much cheaper than buying targets for sure.
You could build a stand made from 2x4 just to hold your freezer paper in front of your dirt backstop.
Every so often I pick out the bullets from sand. I also built a pvc frame which I cover with a sheet to catch the spent casings. No need to look all around for the casings this way.
I walk out my back door and shoot away. I just love not paying for shooting range anymore. Unlike shooting ranges I can walk up to target every few shot to see how I am shooting. I don't have someone standing next to me throwing ejected casings at me either.
That seems pretty cool
JCALDWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 57466
damn...I miss being able to walk outside and shoot. I wouldn't use bare tires for a backstop for .22. I would feel better covering with sand. The best idea is the use of tires to build the backstop in a manner to reduce the amount of sand needed. One ricochet and you will learn real quick.

I had a few 1/2 " thick 12 x 12 rubber mats that were reinforced with hemp rope plys. I shot .223 at targets mounted on it. Basically self healing. I put 2 panels back to back for shooting the .40. It catches the federal 180gr fmj in the second panel at 25'.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16227
.22 will likely bounce off the rubber matting and tires - could send them back your way or an unpredictable direction and result in injury. The injuries wouldn't be severe, most likely, but still not a good idea. As others have said, cover with a layer of something mor absorbent.
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

backdrop for shooting range

backdrop for target shooting

best backdrop for shooting guns
build a safe backdrop for shooting

bullet rubber mud flap backstop

how many triaxle loads for a backstop?
how to build 9mm target backdrop

rifle target backdrop

target and backdrop for rubber bullets

target back drop

target backdrop

target backdrops

target bsckdrop

target shooting backdrop

target shooting backdrops

what to use for a target backdrop
Click on a term to search for related topics.