• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Wounded Warrior not supporting firearms industry?

This is a discussion on Wounded Warrior not supporting firearms industry? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I had this post from Springer Precision in my Facebook feed today: "We will also be directing our giving directly to those in need instead ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Wounded Warrior not supporting firearms industry?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 60093
Wounded Warrior not supporting firearms industry?

I had this post from Springer Precision in my Facebook feed today:
"We will also be directing our giving directly to those in need instead so we insure the most benefit for those who need it and not for those who administrate a cause."

It was in reference to this post from Thunder Ranch:
"Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Nerf guns? Also the fact that very little of our money is actually getting to the families that need them. We will find charities in the coming months to help us all give but for now all money raised with our current DVD sale will go to our Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi"

Per WWP website (#19 of Proud Supporter FAQ's):
"WWP fundraisers can not be sexual, political or religious in nature, and cannot be partnered with alcohol brands or the exchange of firearms. This messaging conflicts with our mind, body, and spirit approach to programs. As everyone is aware, alcohol and substance abuse have been a significant problem with segments of the Wounded Warrior population, often with deadly consequences. WWP would not be honoring and empowering Wounded Warriors if the warrior population perceived partnerships with these types of events as encouraging the use of products that contribute to that problem."

I don't pretend to be an expert on non-profits, tax exempt statuses, charities or anything at all for that matter, but I read somewhere that to maintain their tax-exempt status (?) they cannot take any side of any political matter. Others have said it's in their best fund-raising interests to go right down the middle as to not turn anyone off. I've read other complaints from people upset that they will take their money but not support the firearms industry.

My opinion is that it's not their job to support anyone other than just what their name says, Wounded Warriors. If I was trying to raise as much money as possible I wouldn't take sides either and I wouldn't expect my donation to warrant any sort of endorsement.

I have several friends who are still active duty who have nothing but good things to say about what WWP is doing. That's good enough for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 45721
Tax exempt, charities not take political sides? Really, you think that?

As to WWP not wanting to be associated with certain ideas or objects, that's their choice. If it closes off some avenues of revenue, they have to deal with that. I think the wording, "...exchange of firearms" is a bit odd. Does that mean you can't have a raffle for a gun, but simple sponsorship by a gun maker/dealer is OK? If they really meant no firearms, they should just say that in the same way they mention alcohol.

People who hate black rifles....are racist!
sdprof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
They sure do offer a lot of hunts that use guns and host skeet shoots a lot. Seems like a little bit of retardedness on their part. Wouldn't they exclude all interaction with firearms if they're so concerned?
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30191
I wonder where they rank in their administrative and fund raising expense percentages to other non-profits that help vets...

Don
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 81839
Every year in Maryland we have a ton of WWP come to the gun club I belong to in the summer we shoot pistols/rifles at the range and shotguns for trap. Everyone has an awesome time, makes me wonder abit about next year.
Doc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63768
I'm all for supporting the wounded vets....but I wont give funds to anti-gun brady bill hippy to do it.

Donate to the DAV instead.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 75261
Go to guidestar & sign up for free. Plug wounded warrior project into the search name. When it takes you to WWP select Form 990s and you will be give the three most recent years of financial statements submitted to the IRS (2009 thru 2011). You can see executive salaries, financial bottom line, different funding streams, etc.

'Free Speech Zones" confuse Obamaphone owners who roam streets in search of additional air minutes
droopy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
XDTalk 4K Member

One charity review site showed them as getting 55% of funds to target. Not great, but better than some.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
One charity review site showed them as getting 55% of funds to target. Not great, but better than some.
but that doesn't make sense most of their staff is paid for by the federal government, not by donations, wheres it going? (I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure it is)

Definitely odd with how many WWP shoots go on, people that support vets like to shoot, makes sense to me.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
XDTalk 4K Member

Why would their staff be federal workers?

Here's the info I was referring to: Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
dancing with a wounded warrior at the ranch
do the wounded warriors suppotr guns
gun and ammunition industry and wounded warriors
gun industry response to wounded warrior fondation
wounded

wounded warrior anti gun

wounded warrior does not suppory guns
wounded warrior financial statement
wounded warrior foundation and thunder ranch
wounded warrior foundation fire arms industry
wounded warriors photos sayings facebook share
wwp anti firearm
Click on a term to search for related topics.