• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Car hit in parking lot. Person left note...what would you do?

This is a discussion on Car hit in parking lot. Person left note...what would you do? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Here is what happened. My fiance has a car she leaves at work. She does title work for a law firm so she drives alot ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Car hit in parking lot. Person left note...what would you do?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29139
Car hit in parking lot. Person left note...what would you do?

Here is what happened. My fiance has a car she leaves at work. She does title work for a law firm so she drives alot for title searches. Someone backed into her car in the parking lot over the weekend. The owner left a note. Must be a young girl because she said to call her dad and left a number. I call him, he didnt know about it...was kind of a jerk which pissed me off right away as i was being completely calm with him as i was happy they did leave a note, and i told him that. He tells me to go get an estimate and call him back.

Heres the situation though. I got the estimate, $400 for paint and labor. I feel bad raking this guy for $400 because the car is a 96 Accord and the paint is in bad shape to begin with. Not rust, just sun fade. Body wise its in fine shape. In reality we probably wont get it fixed as its just a work car and she will drive it until it starts to have issues and then buy a new (used) car for work to save miles on her regular vehicle. Still, when it comes time to sell, the scrape and gouge on the bumper wont help resale...so the $ from him would make up for that. Other than the guy being a jerk on the phone i feel bad about this. I contemplated telling him look, give us $200 for the damage and call it even. But im afraid then he'll get pissed when he figures we arent getting it fixed.

What would you do? Forget it all together? Send him the estimate and pocket the $400? Get it fixed for $400? Discuss the lower $ option with guy and settle for something for the damage and not get fixed?

She works for a law firm...it is not illegal to pocket the money regardless whether he pays or his insurance pays. So, save the negative comments about thinking of pocketing the cash!

Too many guns to list...but still not enough.
taylor6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 24504
If i were the guy, i'd tell you to get an estimate, get it repaired, and i'll pay the bill.

otherwise go through your insurance.
Knightslugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post
If i were the guy, i'd tell you to get an estimate, get it repaired, and i'll pay the bill.

And i am supposed to trust that the guy is going to pay the bill after its fixed? no thanks.

If he wants to go through insurance im all for it. But he doesnt.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 63819
Go through your insurance. Sounds to me like he or his daughter might not have insurance.

Veni, Vidi, Edi

Credere, sed verificare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Helpdesk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 78289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslugger View Post

Legally he doesn't get that choice. Make him file a claim and he will be paying every month.....or he can pay you now, his choice. If he doesn't have insurance, you can take him to small claims court or he can pay you now, again his choice.

You shouldn't feel bad.....do you think the jerk would?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xdjosh1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 49858
If you don't want to deal with it at all, just turn it over to your Ins. company with the information you have. It can be filed under comprehensive and or uninsured motorist for the damage and your Ins. company will do all the work perusing restitution.

"So...they say you have a monster? A curse upon this land?? I am ripper, tearer, slasher, gouger. I am the teeth in the darkness, the challenge in the night. Mine is strength, and lust and power. I am Beowulf!"- Anglo-Saxon Nowell Codex

μολὼν λαβέ
N.E. Tx.XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
XDTalk 20K Member

Member #: 63819
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdjosh1980 View Post
Legally he doesn't get that choice. Make him file a claim and he will be paying every month.....or he can pay you now, his choice.

You shouldn't feel bad.....do you think the jerk would?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Stop worrying about hurting some guys feelings. It's not your fault his kid can't drive.

Veni, Vidi, Edi

Credere, sed verificare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Helpdesk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5032
I would make him pay and keep the money.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 23926
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor6400 View Post
And i am supposed to trust that the guy is going to pay the bill after its fixed? no thanks.

If he wants to go through insurance im all for it. But he doesnt.
I had a little different situation than yours because my truck was in mint condition, but this part was the same. The guy gouged my trucks tailgate and told me he'd pay whatever it cost to replace and paint it but didn't want to go through insurance. I searched around for the best quote for him from a reputable shop, and we met at the shop where the bill was put into his name.

Then again this guy was a super nice dude. He just didn't want to go through insurance because it happened with his truck he uses for his business.

- Ronald Reagan
drs1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpdesk9 View Post
Go through your insurance. Sounds to me like he or his daughter might not have insurance.

Veni, Vidi, Edi
Why should i go through my insurance? The guy has the right to go through his insurance. They would either send an adjuster and cut me a check, or take the written estimate and pay the body shop directly. I would be fine with either. But im guessing this is below his deductible anyway so he doesnt want to involve insurance and risk higher premiums. I am guessing he is insured...he owns a small construction company. Hes not a deadbeat. Just a jerk apparently.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
got hit in parking lot
hit a car in the parking lot and left
hit a parked car and left a note
hit a parked car left a note

hit car in parking lot left note

hit parked car left note
i hit a car in a parking lot and left
someone hit my car in a parking lot and left a note
someone hit my car in a parking lot what to do
what are you supposed to do if you scrape pai from a vehicle in a parking lot?

what do i do if i hit a car in a parking lot

what do you do when you hit a car in a parking lot
what to do when someone hits your car and leaves a note
what to do when someone hits your parked car and leaves a note
would you be mad if a person hit your car and left a note
Click on a term to search for related topics.