• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Wiring for surround sound?

This is a discussion on Wiring for surround sound? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Originally Posted by partdeux UoH, That's going to be an interesting room to set up for HT. I would have to agree with you. I ...

Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #31
XDTalk Member

Member #: 71798
Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
UoH,

That's going to be an interesting room to set up for HT.
I would have to agree with you. I am not sure how I would set this one up. The only wall that can accomodate a TV of any size and have a decent seating position is the one opposite of the kitchen. The other issue is that the rear speakers are going to be a PITA. There is no easy way that I can see to run the right rear speaker. The only way that I can see to get speakers on the wall opposite the TV where I would put it is conduit under the floor. Being is I bet it is on concrete slab that will only be an option if the slab has not been laid yet. Then I would run junction boxes at about the same level as the electrical outlets then use stands and pigtails for the wiring to the speakers. The other down side is that the seating doesn't really condone itself to talking with whoever is in the kitchen. It is certainly do able, but probably not strictly by UoH. Some will have to be done professionally. All I can do is advise the best that I can and give him food for thought. The kitchen and great room interaction will be interesting and great for races, superbowl, etc..
Jmruth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #32
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 41241
Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
UoH,

That's going to be an interesting room to set up for HT.
Well I'd put it in one of the bedrooms, but one of them is going to be turned into an office/trophy room/gun safe area. The other is going to be left as a spare in case someone needs a place.
UofHdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #33
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 30682
I'm not reading the whole thread but insulate the walls of your house too. Minimum R-13 in every wall between rooms makes a big difference later. A little expense now and naps/sleeping late can be enjoyable
thetravlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #34
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 63768
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofHdevildog View Post
You just scared me with all that jargon. I don't plan on having a dedicated theater room even though I'm buying the house as a bachelor.

Looking at my floor plan is it even feasible to run surround sound in such an open great room?

KB - Houston Interactive Floor Plan

My recommendation...
In that great room where it says "optional window"....opt out. Mount your screen on that wall facing the pantry. As far as equipment...you have three options. Put it out in the open in a simple cabinet, or build a equipment closet in that corner where the great room meets up with the master bedroom, or steal that coat closet near the entrance since its centrally located and would be good for running cable throughout the house.

You should be able to run wall mounted speakers or in-wall speakers on the wall with the screen. Rear surrounds would probably be best ceiling mounted firing down slightly behind the seating area. You can pretty much rule out 7.1 since there really isnt anywhere for the extra speakers unless they too were ceiling mounted. A 6.1 setup would work well, but you will have to find a place for the rear center speaker, the subwoofer positioned near a wall and away from the windows.

5.1 = Center, Left, Right, Left surround, Right Surround, Subwoofer
6.1 = Center, Left, Right, Left surround, Right Surround, Rear center, Subwoofer
7.1 = Center, Left, Right, Left Mid, Right Mid, Left Rear, Right Rear, Subwoofer

Then there is 10.1 which is only being tested right now, because there isnt any source material that can run it. Give it some time...THX is working on it. Front Center, Front R, Front L, Front R Wide, Front L Wide, Front L subwoofer, Front R subwoofer, Rear R, Rear L, Rear Center
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

audio, wiring

Search tags for this page
how to wire for surround sound new construction
how to wire your home for surround sound
how to wire your house for surround sound
in home surround sound wiring
new construction surround sound cost

new construction surround sound wiring

new construction wiring for surround sound
sorround sound in new home build
suggestions on running surround sound wire
surround sound junction box

surround sound wiring

surround sound wiring new construction

wiring for surround sound

wiring for surround sound in wall

wiring for surround sound new construction

wiring surround sound
Click on a term to search for related topics.