• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Audio Question: distance of gun shots

This is a discussion on Audio Question: distance of gun shots within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I saw some posts here that explained different noise levels of different guns/bullet calibers. I have also seen the chart. My question is..... How much ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Audio Question: distance of gun shots

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10232
Audio Question: distance of gun shots

I saw some posts here that explained different noise levels of different guns/bullet calibers. I have also seen the chart.

My question is.....

How much does the noise drop per foot / yard (or whatever measureing distance). My questions arose because I was at the range the other day (outdoor range). I was in the back area, about 50-60 yards away from a pistol shooter who was at the front end of the bay. I was not wearing hearing protection when he begain to fire, and although it was loud, it was not painfull or nearly as loud as being right next to a gun. Soon after that he backed up more and started to unload his ar-15 about 15-20 yards away. This was substantially louder and I quickly put on my ears.

This leads me to the question of how far away is an average distance that is safe to not wear hearding protection?

Next question, how much does the terrain effect the distance the sound of a shot travels? For instance, I would assume that in a desert the sound of a shot would travel further then in a hilly wooded area where there is more of a dampening effect.

I know there are several members here that have experiance and knowledge in the audio arena. Thanks in advance to anyone that responses.

Last edited by the yetty; 07-05-2006 at 03:33 PM.
the yetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 2774
Technically it's a 6db drop everytime you double the distance (in feet) from the source, but a little further reading lead me to find that you start the measurement 50 feet from the source. Experience told me that you couldn't get a 6 db drop two feet from the muzzle if you started the measurement at 1 foot.. So, if you measured the muzzle blast at 50 feet and got, say, 96 db, then at 100 feet you would drop to 90 db. 3 db is the minimum change the most people can detect. I know some mastering engineers here in Nashville that can detect 1 db changes but they are the exception (and yes I have done a double blind test with one of them and yes he can detect a 1 db change). There are other factors that could effect the results, such as, berms, trees, hills, wind, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
TomSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10232
Thank you for your reply,

I have been wondering about this for some time.

I have not done any measuring of gun shot noise level at any distances, but I think the average level of a gun shot at the muzzle or close to it is around 140db

If I understand it right, noise levels above 82, you need hearing protection if its prolonged. And you shouldn't be exposed to noise levels over 115 without hearing protection.

So if I took your example, I am assuming that a realitiving safe distance for no hearing protection would probably be 100 yards. And that would be if its not a prolonged exposure.

Would this be a safe assumption???
Old 07-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9507
Sound (as well as other signals) weaken by the inverse square. Wher S2 is the sound at the source and r is the distance from the source.
S2 = S1/r^2
For instance if the distance (r) is tripled the noise level drops to 1/9 (1/3^2). Of course, if you are somewhere where the sound will bounce off of objects or the sound is focused in one direction the noise drop will be different.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
decibel level of gunfire 100 yards away
decibel levels distance gunshot
effects of gunshots from different distances

explain the effect of gunshots from different distances

gun decibel change with distance

gunfire decibel distance chart

gunfire sound levels
gunshot noise chart
how distance gun 3.2 shot
how far does gun sound travel
noise level of a shotgun at a distance of 1000 yards
nra gun decibel research from distance

shotgun sound decibels distance

sound level of gunshot
what is the effect of gunshots from different distances
Click on a term to search for related topics.