• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Looking for a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting

This is a discussion on Looking for a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Shot some clay pigeons over the weekend, and had a blast Was shooting a few different 12 guage guns, and my shoulder is paying for ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Looking for a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting

Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10906
Looking for a shotgun for clay pigeon shooting

Shot some clay pigeons over the weekend, and had a blast Was shooting a few different 12 guage guns, and my shoulder is paying for it today. I'd like to pickup probably a 20 guage specifically for shooting clays, but I know absolutely nothing about shotguns. I really liked shooting the short barrelled guns, they were just a lot more manuverable for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, what to look for, what to avoid, is a 20 guage a good idea, if I'm just shooting clay, or would you recommend something else?

And if anyone is wondering, didn't do so hot, maybe 50% I definitely need some practice. If you've never done it, give it a try, it was tons of fun!

EDIT: Edited for the grammattical travesty of a subject line
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 4551
any shotgun will work. i have competed with a $300 remington 870 and kicked guys asses who were shooting $10K guns.

skill always comes before equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
therooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 10906
$10,000.00? As in, United States dollars?

I don't plan on any competition beyond maybe betting a beer or two with my buddies for afterwards

The only name I know is Mossberg. Maybe I should just swing by Sports Authority and see what kind of stuff they have in stock, and what feels good when I hold it.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8963
12 gauge is a good all around gun. Someday you may want to hunt and the 20 would be a little small.

I shoot clay birdies with a Winchester 1300. Cost around $220. Its a punp but Ive had good luck with clay and real tweetys.
John 3:16
XD 40 Tactical ,XD 9mm Service
RRA AR 15,Custom Ruger 10/22
Dillon 550B, No money!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Jamess67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
I love my 835 Mossberg! It does everything from home defense to skeet to turkey and deer. It uses alot of the same extras as the Mossberg 500 series. You will also appreciate the abiltiy to change out chokes.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 3780
I have a Mossberg 500 -- no complaints about it. Go to the local store and shoulder up some shotguns and see which one feels the best.
? matt [ at ] accordingtomatt [ dot ] com
Matt`G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 4886
You didn't say exactly what KIND of Clays you were shoting.
Trap?
Skeet?
Sporting Clays?
International?

If you're going to go beyond an 870 and take it up seriously, you'll want to fine it down a bit. A sporting clays or Skeet gun is usually shorter barreled and lighter than a Trap gun.

A plain jane 870 express will take you a long ways, but eventually, you'll want an autoloader such as an 11-87 or Berreta AL391. One of the reason for going to an autoloader is that it eats some of the recoil.

A couple of tips for beginners, particularly those shooting O/U or Pump guns:
Use the super light loads! You're NOT shooting from the 27 yard line and you're NOT used to 400 rounds a day!

Other than that; have fun. That's the most important part!

When seconds count, the police are only five minutes away.
------------------------------------
MY PARTIAL TOY LIST
XD-9 5" (Production)
XD-40 5" (Limited10)
SA 1911 Loaded (Limited10/SingleStack)
STI Spartan (Limited10/SingleStack)
Kahr PM9 (CCW) KT P3AT (CCW)

Remington 11-87 (Trap)
Remington 870 Express (HD/Trap)

Misc Rifles for fun and hunting
BBunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 5626
I would stay with the 12 Ga. your shoulder will get better the more you shoot it. Or at least you won't notice it as bad.

I use a rem 870 but I prefer my duck gun a Benelli SBEII. The Benelli
is an semi-auto with a 28" barrel it can run with the people I hunt and shoot with.
Use whatever feels good to you and your shoulder there are many options out there, short or long barrel, expensive or not.

Have FUN! Just don't get too carried away like me, I bought a champion SST clay thrower with all options and have been out once a week since!
I would like to go more often but my boss thinks I need to work instead.

Also, for just friendly shooting, wal-mart has pretty cheap case prices on shells 2 3/4" 250 rounds for around 30 bucks.

Matt

edited for price
xd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
If you are just shooting skeet or trap, all you need is 7.5 or 8 load. Virtually zero recoil with these (I almost exclusively use these two loads for skeet and dove and quail).

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 8696
Hello jon3k,

IMO You cant go wrong with a Remington 1100 LT20 SWEET!

Peace
Talon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
a good clay pigeon shooting shotgun
best clay pigeon gun
best clay pigeon shotgun
best gun to shoot clay pigeons with

best shotgun for clay pigeon shooting

best shotgun for clay pigeons
clay pigeon shooting guns
clay pigeon shotguns
shotgun for clay pigeon shooting
shotguns for clay pigeon shooting
what gun is good for shooting clay birds
what is the best shotgun for shooting clay pigeons
Click on a term to search for related topics.