• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

!!!!...Guard Dog....!!!!

This is a discussion on !!!!...Guard Dog....!!!! within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; My German Shorthair is an awesome gaurd/family/hunting dog. If my wife has him on a leash you cant get near her, if you try to ...

Old 01-31-2005, 05:48 PM   #31
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 2897
My German Shorthair is an awesome gaurd/family/hunting dog. If my wife has him on a leash you cant get near her, if you try to come in the house, he will back you out the door, if my kids try to yank his ears off, he looks at them with sad eyes. Couldnt ask for a more family friendly dog. Bad part is they need LOTS of excersice so if you dont have a yard, you might not want one.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
ichy_trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #32
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 4087

These are my two watch/guard dogs. They are much more protective over my wife than me. They are both mutts. The one on the top (55lbs) , well I'm not exactly sure what dogs he's made up of. The one on the bottom (72 lbs) , I'm 99% sure that he his half German Shepard and half Greyhound. Both were easy to train. My only advice is that if you have children, get a puppy and raise it.

"Tim was so learned, that he could name a horse in nine languages. So ignorant, he bought a cow to ride on." Ben Franklin
jcrich33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 PM   #33
XDTalk Member

Member #: 4953
We have a bull mastiff, here is some info-

Breed Name: Bull Mastiff

Description:
The Bullmastiff shows great strength, endurance and alertness. They are a natural guardian of the home and will not back down from a fight. To strangers they are rather standoffish, but they are loving toward their owner. Bullmastiffs are normally very gentle, cheerful and calm. They make a devoted, gentle companion. They are also known as the "gamekeeper's dog" because they were bred to accompany gamekeepers for the ability to track and overpower a poacher.

Height: 25 - 27 inches

Weight: 90 - 130 lbs.

Colors:
Shades of brindle, fawn or red. Slight white marking on the chest is permissible, black muzzle.

Coat:
Short, smooth, dense

Temperament:
Loving, courageous, loyal; Tolerates children; Should be socialized with other animals at an early age

Care and Exercise:
Minimal brushing of his coat. A good rubdown with a rubber brush or massage glove will remove old dead hairs. Nails should be kept short. Diet and daily exercise need to be balanced to prevent obesity. Daily walks or lost of running space is ideal.

XD9SC with Henie Night Sights, Bike Tube Grip
Browning Buckmark Standard
Ruger 10/22 Carbine
Chinese SKS 416 1974
Savage Arms Bolt Action .410 Ga.
jgdean85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 AM   #34
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1153
Have to through in my $.02. I'm a HUGE believer and supporter of pit bulls and pit mixes. Best dogs in the world around kids. My step-daughter has been around my pit-mix Cheeno since she was 5, she's been poking, tugging, pulling, hugging, roughhousing and damn near riding that dog around the back yard for 6 years now. All he does is grin and lick her to death. Then he crawls into her lap and goes to sleep.

This is Cheeno, he is 1/2 Pit, 1/4 Akita, 1/8 Sheppard & 1/8 Chow
Worlds biggest baby, kick-ass gaurd dog and protector of family. I've had him since the day he was born, and he's pretty much our oldest child.

This Mocha, we think she's a mix of Pit and God knows what. She's a great guard dog, the sweetest dog ever and the biggest lapdog.

You just can't go wrong with a Pit or Pit mix, if they're raised right.
IMHO

Dan Wesson "CBOB", Ruger SR-9C, Taurus PT738, Browning Buck Mark Slab Side

Rock River Elite Operator 2 AR-15
U.S Enfield P17
1943 M1 Garand
Remington 700 .243

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Dr4Pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #35
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Pcs

This is Cheeno, he is 1/2 Pit, 1/4 Akita, 1/8 Sheppard & 1/8 Chow
Worlds biggest baby, kick-ass gaurd dog and protector of family. I've had him since the day he was born, and he's pretty much our oldest child.
That's impossible. Everyone knows that both pits and chows are bloodthirsty demons that only want to eat children after torturing them for hours.

At least that's what the man on TV said.

:P

brad cook
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #36
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 1153
Quote:
That's impossible. Everyone knows that both pits and chows are bloodthirsty demons that only want to eat children after torturing them for hours. At least that's what the man on TV said.
I know, I know..... what can I say, he's a genetic anomaly. After all, the man on TV is allways right......isn't he?

Dan Wesson "CBOB", Ruger SR-9C, Taurus PT738, Browning Buck Mark Slab Side

Rock River Elite Operator 2 AR-15
U.S Enfield P17
1943 M1 Garand
Remington 700 .243

Dr4Pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4059
Gotta toss in my vote for a Beagle. Mine has been a great dog in every way. Very alert to what is going on around the house. He can be asleep and wake up because a cat is walking accross the street. He certainly isn't an attack dog (compared to other options) but he would if provoked. At the same time he is very good with my nieces and nephews. He has also been a great companion in the outdoors, camping etc. He also swims like a fish which surprised the hell outta me.
jeep2919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box