• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

AR15 scope mounting

This is a discussion on AR15 scope mounting within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I have an AR15 flat-top build that may or may not become my new groundhog rifle. Mounting the scope (Super Sniper SS16X42) is providing me ...

Old 06-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 2505
AR15 scope mounting

I have an AR15 flat-top build that may or may not become my new groundhog rifle.

Mounting the scope (Super Sniper SS16X42) is providing me with a headache. The eye relief is 3.75in. This seems like quite a bit to me... I can't really mount the scope forward enough on the flat-top (even with adjusting the rings) to get this much eye relief, especially when prone. On top of that, the mounts I have, while good mounts, are a tad high. I considered a new stock (http://www.centuriontactical.com/ar-stock-srs.htm, or maybe something cheaper...) that would allow me to adjust the length of pull and cheek height, but... There's got to be a better way.

RRA sells the "scout rail", which would mount the scope further forward, but that also adds more height.

Am I smoking crack, or is this a lot more of a pain in the ass than it should be? Maybe both. The scope seems to mount too high and back on our .308 bolt action too.

It's a 30mm scope with a 42mm objective...

I don't really expect any answers from anyone (because I didn't really ask any questions)... I'm just frustrated.

This guy seems perfectly happy with his. Maybe I need to invest in some body armor to push it further away from my body. But then again, that guy is hiding in front of some iron bombs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
[TASF]Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4313
C'mon guys lets help him out. I ended getting a drop extension for my drop down handle so I could co-witnes my sights.

There are ton of AR experts here without having to go to AR15.com

Itchy finger could help you if he's around.

Keep bumping this up for you.
Majk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 3721
I installed a 4-9 Bushnell scope on my M4 the I have to extend the stock all the way out to get good eye relief. Maybe you can try padded recoil pads.
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica Book Of Pythia
"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."
Quote:
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. River Tam Serenity
agalindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
There are several ways to tackle this. You can get an adjustable stock that has several adjustments to raise or lower the cheekweld area, or you can get a different mounting system-possibly a different scope. Now here is my set up.
WhiteOAK shorty with a Burris 3-9X32(and a Jpoint)

WhiteOAK 26in with Whiteoak Adjustable stock This has a 50mm Burris scope

My LR308 has the factory flat top with some simple Warne scope mounts

The Top rifle has a plain extended scope rail without any elevation machined into it. The middle rifle is using the White Oak Armament extended scope base with 15 MOA built in and the LR308 has no base except the rings. All rings are Warne 1in medium height. Which might also be a good alternative. Get some rings that can raise or lower the scope. The adjustable stock needs a Bolt knob modification because the charging handle is no longer usable.

USPSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 4170
http://www.mountsplus.com/
Old 06-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Knight,

Thanks for the examples. I wish I understood why this stuff was so expensive though! Wowsers.

Woody, looks like they mostly focus on carry-handle mounts...

Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 8086
hey... not sure if this'd work but would mounting the scope on the handguard work or that that be too far forward?

here's a couple options for that:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR327-3368-1886.html

or this, which would put it forward on from your handrail although it's a bit high off the gun..

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR062-3335-1887.html

that last one gives you a couple xtra mounting options but for the cost ($45), you might just want to spring the extra 20 for RRA one.

good luck!
Exmasonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Exmason,

Since this will be a varmint rifle, (Ok, so, it will be a "sporting rifle" that's meant to look cool) mounting a scope on the handguard probably would not be the most conducive to accuracy.

I like the tri-rail mount, but can't think of anything to put on even one of the rails. Laser or light would be pointless given the ranges I'd want to work with... Plus, it doesn't look like that would allow me to mount things any further forward, and actually looks higher than my current mount. Doh!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 6088
After Dealing with John Hollinger at Whiate Oak Armament I am very happy with their 15MOA extended scope rail. You can also get some short rings to help with the height problem. No mater what I am sure there are several stores in your area that can help you out with mounting.

USPSA

I am not an expert I just shoot like one.
The Knight Of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 8963
ever look at a Z rail that mounts to the carry handle. That would put it WAY forward
John 3:16
XD 40 Tactical ,XD 9mm Service
RRA AR 15,Custom Ruger 10/22
Dillon 550B, No money!
Jamess67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

ar 15 scope mounting options

ar scope mounting options
ar-15 50mm scope
ar-15 handrail scope mount
ar-15 scope mount options
ar15 scope too far forward
how far forward on an ar to mount a scope
how far forward to mount scope on ar
is mounting a scope on top of a hand rail for an ar 15 a problem?
ss16x42 scope
white oak armament
white oak armament 15 moa rail
white oak armament extended rail
white oak armament rail height
white oak armament stock
white oak armory adjustable stock
Click on a term to search for related topics.