• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

1995 civic wheel bearing replacement?

This is a discussion on 1995 civic wheel bearing replacement? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So, i just had new tires put on today, after my old ones were wearing bad on the inside of the front tires.. I was ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » 1995 civic wheel bearing replacement?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12708
1995 civic wheel bearing replacement?

So, i just had new tires put on today, after my old ones were wearing bad on the inside of the front tires.. I was told at the tire shop that this was due to needing an alignment... so I go to Midas to get an alignment, they tell me that was caused the wear on both front tires was the front left wheel bearing needs replacing.

BTW, I can get one easily online for $60-$65...With being out of work and just paying over $300 for tires, I dont have the $419.82 they want to replace the one wheel bearing.

$213.66 for labor
$162.99 for parts
$30.13 for shop supply.

I feel like they are asking WAY to much...

Anyways, Can the wheel bearing make both front tires wear on the inside?

OEF, AFGHANISTAN 2012-2013
beitzel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Could I get a Wheel Bearing/Hub assembly from autozone for $67 and just put that on?

Seems easier than replacing just the bearing, since I dont have airtools or a press.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 31851
I can tell you that the shop supply fee seems a little high, but the rest seems about right for a shop. Thats 2 hours of labor, which seems perfectly fine.

I'm not extrememly familar with Honda's but I know that some of the years around there had a dumb design where you have to pull the hub off to get the rotor off, then unbolt the bearing from the back. The rotor is sandwhich'ed inbetween the hub and bearing. These can be a major PITA.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49200
How to install wheel bearings/lower ball joints (pic intensive) - Honda-Tech

That should get you started or scare you off depending on your level of confidence in your mechanical skills. You can do it yourself for way less than the shop wants.
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
Quote:
Originally Posted by beitzel15 View Post

Anyways, Can the wheel bearing make both front tires wear on the inside?
Yes, the good bearing has to counter the bad bearings wandering ways thus creating uneven tire wear on that side as well.
I just picked up a '92 DX hatch with a new motor and less than 100K on the meter
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 3K Member

shouldnt a bad bearing make some sort of sound though when it's spinning?

Im going to take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.... and they just took my BRAND NEW tire off that I had put on today, and then came in and said it was the bearing less than 10 minutes after pulling my car in.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
$50ish an hour...sure...even if they get it done in 15 minutes...there is a "set time" for the work involved so you pay that in labor

This is why its ALWAYS a good idea to buy the auto repair book, find a buddy that knows mechanicin', get a case of his favorite beer, buy a good set of basic tools, rent specialized tools if needed, and bust some knuckles while getting all schnozed afterwards.

Some of that crap they charge you for is highway robbery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beitzel15 View Post
shouldnt a bad bearing make some sort of sound though when it's spinning?

Im going to take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion.... and they just took my BRAND NEW tire off that I had put on today, and then came in and said it was the bearing less than 10 minutes after pulling my car in.
Not if its wore or out of tolerance...they usually scream when the bearing grease is gone...I have seen bearing traces worn completely out where you could wobble the tire from side to side almost an inch and it didn't make much noise, a very low roaring noise and made me think the carrier bearing was going out.

Hint#1: If you want to keep your alignment from going to crap again...replace BOTH sides at the same time, so they wear evenly, otherwise you have a good bearing and a older bearing, yes it may stay good for a while...but before long you will be back in there replacing the other side...just like brake pads.

Hint #2: When you get your tires aligned...have fresh tires on them...otherwise they align them to the worn tires...if you replace the tires..guess what...they START miss aligned
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 61259
I work at a shop and most all shop supply fees are 3% of total bill
nuhler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 59354
I replaced the front bearings a couple of times on a 03 Malibu (it eats them for some reason) and it can be pretty easy, but can get intense if something's frozen due to corrosion or filth. I had a couple of special tools for it, but they're not that expensive, and you may make a couple bucks down the line doing some work cheap for friends. I do have the compressor and air tools, though.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15236
You can test for a bad bearing yourself...jack up that corner of the car and support it. Make sure the steering wheel is locked so it won't turn. With one hand on each side of the tire, wiggle it back and forth. Repeat this with one hand at the top and bottom. Gently try to pull the wheel in and and out too. You'll be able to feel if the bearing is moving.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
1995 civic wheel bearing pressed in

1995 civic wheel bearings

1995 honda civic ex wheel bearing

1995 honda civic front wheel bearing replacement

1995 honda front wheel hub

95 civic dx bad wheel bearing?
95 civic front wheel bearing change

95 honda civic dx wheel bearing

95 honda civic replace wheel bearing
95 honda civic replacing front wheel hub
front wheel bearing replacement on honda civic 1995

how to change wheel bearings on a 95 honda civic

how to fix a front wheel bearing on a 95 honda civic dx

how to put a wheel bearing in a 95 civic

how to replace 1995 civic dx front wheel bearing

labor for replacing hub bearing honda civic dx 1995
Click on a term to search for related topics.