• Active Topics
  • Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Newbie question: muzzle flip vs. recoil?

This is a discussion on Newbie question: muzzle flip vs. recoil? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I was reading another post and also talking to someone at the store about recoil "snappiness" and muzzle flip. Forgive the ignorance, but what's the ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Newbie question: muzzle flip vs. recoil?

Old 05-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9000
Newbie question: muzzle flip vs. recoil?

I was reading another post and also talking to someone at the store about recoil "snappiness" and muzzle flip. Forgive the ignorance, but what's the difference? I thought they both referred to the same thing.
docrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9507
Recoil is simply backward force of the bullet leaving the barrell. Although this is sometimes used interchangably with percieved recoil. (as in when someone says a 22# spring reduces recoil). Muzzle flip is the effect ot recoil to raise the barrell after a shot. Ported barrells reduce muzzle flip, but don't affect recoil.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 6060
isn't muzzle flip also partially a result of the slide action?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself. ~Thomas Paine

I will not be involved with the dreams of angry men.

Founding
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

Freedom isn't free:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
beardman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman2
Yes, but since the slide action is a result of the bullet's travel, it is not the cause of muzzle flip. I expect the slide does affect (worsen it?) it though.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
mcb
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 5280
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberOtaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman2
Yes, but since the slide action is a result of the bullet's travel, it is not the cause of muzzle flip. I expect the slide does affect (worsen it?) it though.
The slide's movement has very little to do with the amount of muzzle flip. This is determing more by how far the barrel's axis is above your hand. The higher up the more muzzle flip.

mcb
mcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 8830
so would changing the spring help reduce muzzle flip? or does that help in recoil. I would like to reduce the muzzle flip but curious in whats the best way to do it.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer1976
so would changing the spring help reduce muzzle flip? or does that help in recoil. I would like to reduce the muzzle flip but curious in whats the best way to do it.
A heavier spring reduces percieved recoil. The only way to truly reduce recoil is to decrease the amound of power in the round. Muzzle flip can be reduced by using a ported barrell or increasing the mass of gun, esp. towards the front of the barrell.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
define muzzle flip
how to reduce muzzle flip
muzzel flip

muzzle flip

muzzle flip definition
muzzle flip vs recoil
muzzle flip vs. recoil
muzzle flip?
recoil and muzzle flip
recoil flip 391
recoil v.s. muzzle flip
recoil vs muzzle flip
what is a muzzle flip

what is muzzle flip

what is muzzle flip?
Click on a term to search for related topics.