• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Who has quit dipping/chewing?

This is a discussion on Who has quit dipping/chewing? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; My nicotine delivery system for close to 40 years was snuff and chewing tobacco. Plug, pouch, Happy Days, Skoal then Copenhagen for the last 30 ...

Old 06-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32358
Who has quit dipping/chewing?

My nicotine delivery system for close to 40 years was snuff and chewing tobacco. Plug, pouch, Happy Days, Skoal then Copenhagen for the last 30 years I guess. It had me. Every single minute of my waking life revolved around my nicotine dependency and I was sick of it. I decided to quit cold turkey and this past March 15 I did. I about went crazy the first 2 weeks even having to visit a doctor because of severe anxiety and depression brought on by the shock of quitting. I got so nervous and shaky I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My vision was screwed up. I had severe stomach aches. Insomnia. Headaches. Irritability. Slurred speech. Very unpleasant. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel now and thankfully the light is no longer a freight train barreling toward me. If I can steer anyone away from ever picking up "the can" I will. It's a deadly snake that bites and doesn't let go. I can't go back...ever... because I might not get this chance again.
ZAPPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 29568
Currently have cope straight in right now. I dipped on and off in high school not much. About a year ago a buddy wanted to try it and I was like ok so I did with him. We would do it when we had some beers. A year later still doing it. I only have about 2 or three dips a day. Im thinking of quitting soon as well.
JonXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16227
You have been fortunate, believe it or not. You quit before you got mouth cancer. I know... I know... Everyone says, "You're going to get mouth or tongue cancer, so you better quit." But I have seen it first hand... I work in medicine and I've seen the HORROR that is mouth cancer. It is... truly...... shocking.

Best of luck to all who are quitting. I hope it goes well. Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant) has been shown to reduce the urge to smoke in those who are quitting smoking. Perhaps you can ask a provider about a prescription for some to help you quit chewing as well.

joe
thejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 18081
I tried starting recently but after about 4 attempts I gave up. It just made me dizzy.

Good luck quitting if you want to though!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 29568
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoe View Post
You have been fortunate, believe it or not. You quit before you got mouth cancer. I know... I know... Everyone says, "You're going to get mouth or tongue cancer, so you better quit." But I have seen it first hand... I work in medicine and I've seen the HORROR that is mouth cancer. It is... truly...... shocking.

Best of luck to all who are quitting. I hope it goes well. Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant) has been shown to reduce the urge to smoke in those who are quitting smoking. Perhaps you can ask a provider about a prescription for some to help you quit chewing as well.

joe
Dont forget it also depends on the users amount. Some do a can plus a day etc. My grandfather chews all day long for over 30 years and Im surprised myself. He always has a chew in unless he is eating! Crazy I know!!
JonXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 39431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPO View Post
My nicotine delivery system for close to 40 years was snuff and chewing tobacco. Plug, pouch, Happy Days, Skoal then Copenhagen for the last 30 years I guess. It had me. Every single minute of my waking life revolved around my nicotine dependency and I was sick of it. I decided to quit cold turkey and this past March 15 I did. I about went crazy the first 2 weeks even having to visit a doctor because of severe anxiety and depression brought on by the shock of quitting. I got so nervous and shaky I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My vision was screwed up. I had severe stomach aches. Insomnia. Headaches. Irritability. Slurred speech. Very unpleasant. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel now and thankfully the light is no longer a freight train barreling toward me. If I can steer anyone away from ever picking up "the can" I will. It's a deadly snake that bites and doesn't let go. I can't go back...ever... because I might not get this chance again.
ZAPPO,

CONGRATS ON QUITTING !

I also went cold turkey 7 years ago after chewing for about 20 years, and yes I was also lucky but not having any horrific cancer afflictions at this point, not saying they won't happen later though.

I would only suggest to get some form of an excersize program started or you will end up putting on extra weight real quick.

I also agree with your logic of never going back !!!!!!!!!!!!!
TACC XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 57497
I chewed for 32 yrs, the last ten was off & on, mostly on.the thought that i could enjoy just one dip always seem to have a full can back in my pocket within a week, just like I had never quit. Then it would take 6 or 8 months to work up the nerve to go through that 2 weeks of hell on earth. Now I've been almost 3 yrs. The last time I used a perscription called Chantix, it worked well for me, but one of the side effects is strange dreams.Mine had zombies and I didn't have mt xd yet lol. Good luck to those of you quitting, I pray the rest of you never start.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35154
Quit back in January. First few days I don't even remember, it was such a blur. That nicotine messes you up good. I do remember going into the bank and trying to deposit a paycheck and not remembering my account number. I just started writing numbers down. Good thing I was in a small town at the time and the teller knew who I was or I wouldn't have had money lol. Congrats on quitting, it's truly a day to day struggle to stave the addiction off. If you slip up, don't let that unravel all of your progress. Just don't let it happen again. You can do it, feel free to PM me if you need support or whatnot. If you feel a nasty craving, I and I'm sure any other members here who have gone through the same will be here for you. Also check out Kill the Can, they're a site all about quitting smokeless tobacco, if you get on, you can be part of a quit group, a bunch of people quitting smokeless in the same time frame supporting each other and going through the same hell together. It really helped me, and they are all great about keeping each other in check.
FlyerAce128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
XDTalk Member

Member #: 58794
Yeah I chewed a can a day of cope, and sometimes a plug of red man, for about 10 years. The cope eroded my gums to the point that, despite quitting 15 years ago, I have a couple of teeth that are shifting big-time, thanks to the 'harmless' alternative to smoking. I understand the addiction. You can beat it.
Redneck Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 32358
I know I needed support cause I'm not out of the woods yet. That many years of nicotine had to have all my tissues saturated. I couldn't go 15 minutes without feeling withdrawal. Nicotine is a beast to overcome. It takes over your mind along with your body. I would have stolen tobacco if that's the only way I could have gotten it and I hate a thief as bad as most people do. Thats how hooked you get. Congratulations on those who have quit. I don't ever want to dip or chew again. I'd probably fall into a real funk if I slipped. I'm still somewhat depressed and just kind of sad feeling even though it's been 3 months. I dipped so much I was only getting about 4 or 5 dips from
a can. I left in in all day except when I ate. I would get nicotine overdose somedays with severe dizziness, nausea, heart racing, severe trembling hands. That wasn't enough to make me stop. I just cut back for a couple days then went back to a can or two daily. I had to quit though I did not think It was even possible for me to quit. I'm seeing now that it is possible but I'm
not feeling very normal yet. Whatever normal is I'm not there quite yet.
ZAPPO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
chewing snuff and cold hands
chewing tobacco and vision
chewing tobacco quitting side effects
dipping tobacco slurred speech
happy days chew
quit chewing better vision
quit dip insomnia
quit dipping cold turkey
quit dipping side effects
quit dipping tobacco cold turkey side effects
quitting dip cold turkey
quitting dipping cold turkey

side effects of quitting chewing tobacco cold turkey

stopped dipping side effects
symptoms of quitting dipping cold turkey
Click on a term to search for related topics.