• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

looking for advice for a 9mm

This is a discussion on looking for advice for a 9mm within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hi, I am looking for a 9mm to shoot at a range not really to carry since as of now you cant carry them in ...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59923
looking for advice for a 9mm

Hi,
I am looking for a 9mm to shoot at a range not really to carry since as of now you cant carry them in Illinois. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a xdm, 92fs, glock something along those lines. I was just wondering which one is the best or if it really just comes down to my personal opinion. thanks
pjohnson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 43722
My choice would be CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all-steel)
Poink88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58798
Personal preference, fit in hand, and as budget allows. I recommend the XDm with the 4.5 barrel. There are multiple good choices.
SebZE835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58798
I look at it like this: Establish what you want the pistol for. Concealed Carry? Range toy? Home Defense? Etc...

Then establish what you want as far as: Type of sights? Barrel length? Warranty? Polymer frame? External Hammer? Safety configuration? Magazine capacity? etc. etc. etc...

Once you establish all of these parameters, then you will know exactly what you should be looking for. You will find maybe 4 or 5 that you keep coming back to. I would then try to handle each one up close and personal...maybe even try to rent them at a local range if possible. A decision should be pretty easy after all of the above. Happy hunting!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
SebZE835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 15216
From the 3 you wrote about the XDm and the Glock are comparable in weight and feel. The 92FS will be a little different by weight and grip. It really comes down to what fits your hand better, and how well you can manage the gun. If you have a range nearby, you may want to see if they rent these styles and try all 3. You are sure to get varying opinions to your question.
Good luck in your quest.
shooter-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58322
There's no substitute for actually firing the guns. When I was first looking for a gun, I liked the looks of the FN Five-seveN, but the reality was that the gun was a horrible fit in my hand. Then I tried a couple 1911s, and that wasn't particularly impressive either. I then tried out a Sig P229 Enhanced Elite, an HK P30, and then finally, the XDm. Out of all those, the XDm is what felt best. As a bonus, the XDm is about 40% less than the Five-seveN, so that money went towards my first 2000 rounds of 9mm.

But, yeah, what I've learned through that process is that guns are not one-size-fits-all. What works exceptionally well for you is guaranteed to be exceptionally horrible for someone else.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 11567
For a truly great 9mm, I second Poink with the CZ. They're hard to beat for comfort, reliability, and cost factor.
Fifty million new Americans have died in abortions since 1973. Where were their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Why do we turn a blind eye toward--or worse, cheer on--a holocaust within our own land? Please, choose life for your baby.

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." --Jesus, John 14:6 (ESV)

Proud member of the AKM operator's club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
DanTheEldest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
XDTalk Newbie

Thanks for the opinions so far I'm really just looking for a reliable gun for the range just to have a little fun with thats not terrible in price
Old 06-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheEldest View Post
For a truly great 9mm, I second Poink with the CZ. They're hard to beat for comfort, reliability, and cost factor.
And as an illustration of my point, my wife tried the CZ and hated it. Did not fit her hand at all. So you really do need to go out and try them.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
XDTalk Newbie

How reliable is the cz I haven't looked to much into that gun as I did for the others

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

92fs, 9mm, glock, xdm

Search tags for this page

92fs sight picture

9mm conversion for px4

beretta 92 sight picture

beretta 92fs sight picture

beretta 9fs forum
beretta 9fs vs springfield xdm
converting beretta px4 to decock only
hk p30l accuracy

m&p 9fs vs glock 17 2011 forums

m&p 9mm de-cock
px4 compact police trade in
sig p225 vs. hi-power
sig p229 enhanced elite vs xdm compact
soft shooting full size 9mm women
w german sig p226 or xdm 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.