• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

looking for advice for a 9mm

This is a discussion on looking for advice for a 9mm within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Beretta PX4 Compact(NOT the sub-compact). It is about the size of a Glock19, 15 round mags, easy to convert to decock only, and it shoots ...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #31
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 4980
Beretta PX4 Compact(NOT the sub-compact). It is about the size of a Glock19, 15 round mags, easy to convert to decock only, and it shoots like a dream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
: Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
cjive134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #32
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 58798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickboy240 View Post
True.

It is no secret that the best P-series SIGs were the earlier, sheet metal slide, W. German and Swiss made guns. Five minutes on SIG Forum and you'll figure that out.

The newer SIGs can be great guns, but the QC tends to go up and down. Chances are you will get a good one, but a safer bet (and a cheaper one0 is to buy an older SIG.

I have older models of the P220, P228 and P225 and would buy a P226 in a heartbeat. The Navy SEALs and British SAS carry the P226...so the pedigree is definitely there.

- brickboy240
Ahh gotcha.
SebZE835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 57025
I have a Beretta 92fs, a XDM 3.8 Compact, and have shot the CZ. All grerat guns. All the advice here is dead on. Figure your budget, needs, and then get your hands on them. If you are in Norhtern Illinois, Gatt guns in East Dundee rents guns. Try them all.
Huski92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #34
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Since you are wanting a range gun...remember that the pistols with the longer sight radius (distance between the front and rear sights) will give you the best sight picture. Their extra weight also means they are a joy to shoot.

That is why I mentioned the 92 Beretta and the XD-9 Tactical.

Another pistol that has a longer sight radius and is a soft shooting 9mm is the full size HK USP 9. I shot one of those one time and was shocked at how soft the recoil was. It is thick and chunky (like the 92 Beretta) but its size and sight radius would make for a great range gun. Sometimes, you see full size USP 9s as police trade ins in the 450 dollar range. You might take a closer look, if you see one in the used gun case at your shop.

If you have smaller hands or plan on having kids or women shooting with you....you might want to skip the 92 Beretta and the USP. They're big in the grip area. For smaller hands, the Hi-Power and CZ-75 are really the best-feeling grips around.

Hope all this advice helps....let us know what you chose.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #35
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59923
would a newer p226 be a bad choice or defiantly look for a older one?
pjohnson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #36
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
I'd highly recommend a Glock 34, or a Glock 17L for a pure range pistol.

I'd also recommend a Browning Hi-Power, as well...the second best 9mm out there.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 35826
I would pick the XDm 3.8 Compact in 9mm.

Using the full-size magazine, it is dimensionally equivalent to the full size XDm 3.8

Having 19+1 in the gun would make an excellent home defense gun and if you want, you can even install a light.

Later on, if a miracle happens and Illinois passes concealed carry or perhaps you move to a FREE state, it would be an excellent carry gun with the 13 round compact magazine while carrying the 19-round mag for reloads.

Without the 2nd Amendment, the Bill of Rights is Irrelevant!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
RayMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #38
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
My brother owns that Beretta PX4 compact 9mm. I have shot it a few times.

Would I trade any of my 9mms for it? (those being an FN Hi-Power, SIG P228, SIG P225 and Glock 17)

Absolutely not.

Its a very average pistol. Beretta makes some VERY fine shotguns (I own two) and their 92/M9 is great, but their other pistols are very, very average and have terrible triggers.

I noticed that our local Academy is still selling brand new SIG Pro 2022s in 9mm for 399 bucks. That is a steal for a pistol of that quality. It would make a pretty decent range gun, too...for the money.

- brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
XDTalk Newbie

Member #: 59923
You said the hi-power is the 2nd best 9mm what would the number one be?
pjohnson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #40
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohnson2 View Post
You said the hi-power is the 2nd best 9mm what would the number one be?
H&K P7 series. I lean towards the P7M13.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

92fs, 9mm, glock, xdm

Search tags for this page

92fs sight picture

9mm conversion for px4

beretta 92 sight picture

beretta 92fs sight picture

beretta 9fs forum
beretta 9fs vs springfield xdm
converting beretta px4 to decock only
hk p30l accuracy

m&p 9fs vs glock 17 2011 forums

m&p 9mm de-cock
px4 compact police trade in
px4compact vs full size
sig p225 vs. hi-power
sig p229 enhanced elite vs xdm compact
soft shooting full size 9mm women
w german sig p226 or xdm 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.