• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Sentry Fire-Safe Review

This is a discussion on Sentry Fire-Safe Review within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'll say it right up front... I think I made a mistake tonight and I don't want anyone else to make the same one. I'd ...

Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 8642
Sentry Fire-Safe Review

I'll say it right up front... I think I made a mistake tonight and I don't want anyone else to make the same one. I'd been reading all the recent "which safe should I buy" threads, and on the advice of some, I cruised on over to Wally World to check out what they had in stock.

Disappointingly, they didn't have any keypad safes here (well, there was one that was a small, briefcase size). What I am looking for in a safe is something roughly 1 cu. foot in volume. I want enough room to safely store my roughly 10 pistols, and I don't want to drop the money on one big enough for long guns too, since I only have a few of those.

I purchased the SentrySafe Fire Safe, because it bolted down (supposedly... read on), was .8cu ft, and had a combination instead of a key.

Complaints

#1 First off, here's a picture of exactly what the box says...

I suppose if I cared to drill my own mounting holes, the safe could be bolted down. I'm sure that drilling my own holes would also void all warranties and claims I might have on fire protection.

Here's a view of the interior and exterior bottom of the safe.

Those divets you see are just that, divets. They are not holes. That panel in the bottom on the inside does NOT come off.

Bottom line... this was a case of blatant false advertising. This safe is NOT made to be bolted down.

#2 The dial is very cheap. Reminds me of a child's toy. Same with the "shelf" and the whole interior lining. It has the "mexican motel room" feel to it.

#3 The instructions specifically state that firearms should not be stored in this safe. Why? I'm not sure, but I would have liked to know that when I was reading the box, back before I bought it and lugged it home. There was no mention of this on the box.

#4 The owner's manual states that the fireproofing material has a high moisture content, which CAN cause high humidity inside the safe. This sounds like a good enough reason for ME to not store guns inside, but that would apply to my important documents, jewelry, and small electronics as well. With that in mind, what exactly IS this safe any good for?

Conclusion

This safe is not worth the $80, nor the $5 each way in gas it cost me to get to Wal-Mart. It's also not worth lugging around the parking lot, into my car, out of my car, and into my house. I'm offended by the aforementioned inconvenience to me, and I'll be spending another $10 in gas to return the stupid thing tomorrow morning. In my own little capitalist manner, I'll be getting even by not ever buying anything made by Sentry again, and encouraging all of you to not waste your time either. Back to the drawing board, I suppose.
east_stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 3132
I don't think Sentry has ever had a very good reputation as a safe manufacturer.
one-eyed-fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

So now I've found some that catch my eye over at harbor freight. Anyone know anything about the quality of the "Bunker Hill" brand of safes at all? I mean, it couldn't be worse than this sentry piece of junk, but I'd still appreciate it if anyone has had any experience with this brand.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
Lots of people have to drill holes through the floor of safes like that to mount them to the floor. If the instructions say it can be bolted to the floor, I'm pretty sure they imply you must drill holes to do so even if they don't say it. Second, I wouldn't store ANY gun in ANY safe without either an electronic dehumidfier, or dessicant pack in there and also it wouldn't hurt to put one of those rust inhibitor cups in there. Safes by nature are somewhat airtight and easily can get condensation inside them due to temperature changes. I wouldn't be one bit hesitant to drill the bottom of that safe for mounting holes, and I'd purchase a good dessicant pack made for safes to keep the moisture out of the safe.

I just purchased an 8 gun safe to put in my hall closet, it only cost me $85 with tax and it's a sentry. Did I enjoy the fact that the studs in the wall of the closet didn't align up with the holes pre-drilled in the safe? Not really... but I drilled new holes so that it would and that doesn't bother me. All that matters is now someone can't easily rip it away from the wall and I feel my guns are a lot more secure than they use to be simply sitting in the closet.
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 6147
my dad has one of those its junk, dont shake it around or move it the lock will lock up perm. and you will have to get it drilled by a smith to get any thing out.

they dont even make good targets after you extract your stuff.
creepyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

Well, it sounds like I must have just gotten ripped off. Still taking it back because of shoddy quality parts. Plus, I think I've decided I'd rather have a keypad than a dial.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 5105
I was told that the reasoning behind not pre drilling holes is for people who wish to not mount them to the floor. If I wasn't going to mount the safe to the floor I wouldn't want holes on the bottom for fire to come though. I have two Sentry 12 gun safes that I absolutely love. Keep in mind most things you buy from Walmart are JUNK. They tend to buy the lower grade products that manufacturers put out, hence the low prices.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 9487
Personally evrything thing I've ever purchased at harbor freight is junk. Granted mostly tools and stuff, that last one time and sometimes not at all.
xd 40sc
my new baby 1911 black stainless
bushmaster ar 15
xd 45 bi-tone
star model P
bersa 380
xd 45 bi-tone
mike98t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 5545
Hey, thanx for the info. I considered eventually buying one of these myself.
shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 7263
Save up for a Ft. Knox safe, you will not regret it.
1903 A3 .30-06
Jack Russell Terrier
LTC-USA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
bunker hill 1.5 cu ft safe
bunker hill 1.5 cu ft safe review
bunker hill 91006

bunker hill executive safe review

bunker hill safe fire rating
bunker hill safe review
bunker hill safe reviews

bunker hill safes 91006

bunker hill security - item#95824

bunker hill security - item#97081
bunker hill security safe review
review 95824 bunker hill security
Click on a term to search for related topics.