• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

how far do shotgun pellets travel?

This is a discussion on how far do shotgun pellets travel? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I'm curious, I've never really known how far a shot from a shotgun will travel. I know it's not FAR.. but what are we talking.. ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » how far do shotgun pellets travel?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
how far do shotgun pellets travel?

I'm curious, I've never really known how far a shot from a shotgun will travel. I know it's not FAR.. but what are we talking.. say you shoot almost parallel with the ground shooting skeet, are we talking 200 yards? Was driving around yesterday, turned into a park area to turn around and found a shotgun club and almost right behind the fence of the outter border of it, was a walking trail with people walking. I don't know how far out it was, it didn't look THAT far.. certainly more than 100 yards I think, but I'm not sure about 200 yards. Anyway for those who know, how far is safe to be having people walk beyond where you are shooting toward?
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Re: how far do shotgun pellets travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednp
I'm curious, I've never really known how far a shot from a shotgun will travel. I know it's not FAR.. but what are we talking.. say you shoot almost parallel with the ground shooting skeet, are we talking 200 yards? Was driving around yesterday, turned into a park area to turn around and found a shotgun club and almost right behind the fence of the outter border of it, was a walking trail with people walking. I don't know how far out it was, it didn't look THAT far.. certainly more than 100 yards I think, but I'm not sure about 200 yards.
It depends on the shells. I hunt birds alot with 6 shot and 7 1/2 shot and depending on the angle of my swing, pellets can travel 100-200 yards give or take.

Quote:
...how far is safe to be having people walk beyond where you are shooting toward
With a shotgun I'd think 200-300 yards would be a safe buffer zone. Maybe less if your shooting birds or high clay pigeons.

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 8041
I wish I knew how far it was from where they were shooting, to the fence at the edge. It may be further than I think, who knows. I just saw people walking their dogs back there and thought to myself, wow that just doesn't seem safe, especially with them shooting pretty much right at the people with the angle they shoot at, and the slightly raised trail back there. I haven't hunted in years so I've kind of lost a feel for how far shotgun shots travel. It must be a safe distance at the club, otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't even be open. Just made me wonder with the people walking back there.
jednp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
XDTalk 25K Member

Member #: 4785
Actually, the average bird load, like the ones we use in our 20 gauges on dove hunts, is only effective to about 35 yards or so. I have been about 100 yards across a field, when somebody swung in my direction (no it wasn't Cheney) and the pellets hit me but felt like someone threw sand at me...it did not hurt or even come close to breaking skin.

We also shoot dove over a stock pond that is about 150yds from Dad's ranch house and regularly, someone swings in the direction of the house and in the many years we've been doing this, never have we had a broken window. Again, we all shoot 20 and 28 gauges with light 7.5 shot and open chokes (like IC, Skeet 1, etc.)...no heavy or magnum loads or 12 gauges.

Birdshot out of 20 and 28 gauge guns is pretty much ineffective after 35-40 yards and thats what most people shoot skeet with - a 20 gauge. Only heathens shoot skeet with a 12. Clays, yes, but skeet...is a 20/28 gauge game.

- Brickboy240

Es mejor morir a pie que vivir arrodillad
Brickboy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 8785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickboy240
Actually, the average bird load, like the ones we use in our 20 gauges on dove hunts, is only effective to about 35 yards or so. I have been about 100 yards across a field, when somebody swung in my direction (no it wasn't Cheney) and the pellets hit me but felt like someone threw sand at me...it did not hurt or even come close to breaking skin.- Brickboy240
The effectiveness of the load is about 30-35 yards or so, but the pellets will travel a quite a bit farther. Your right though, when 'peppered' from a distance, it's not a big deal unless a pellet hits you in the eye or something.

Brickboy, you wouldn't believe this farm I hunt dove on. I can limit out in 15 minutes. (We then drop off the birds to the illegals up the street and then go back to limit out again). It is dove heaven!

I was anti-Obama when Anti-Obama wasn't cool. Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.-- Glen Aldrich

The wealthiest nation in the world with the mightiest army man has ever assembled could not stop them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
PackerfanXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 4480
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpackerfanD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickboy240
Actually, the average bird load, like the ones we use in our 20 gauges on dove hunts, is only effective to about 35 yards or so. I have been about 100 yards across a field, when somebody swung in my direction (no it wasn't Cheney) and the pellets hit me but felt like someone threw sand at me...it did not hurt or even come close to breaking skin.- Brickboy240
The effectiveness of the load is about 30-35 yards or so, but the pellets will travel a quite a bit farther. Your right though, when 'peppered' from a distance, it's not a big deal unless a pellet hits you in the eye or something.

Brickboy, you wouldn't believe this farm I hunt dove on. I can limit out in 15 minutes. (We then drop off the birds to the illegals up the street and then go back to limit out again). It is dove heaven!

no fair, i have to work a little harder for my AZ dove.
thirdtimesthecharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 9490
I've been peppered by my friends about 200 yards across a lake while shooting 3" goose loads from a 12 gauge. Like it was said before, it felt like sand, but it was cool to see their pellets dropping around our boat.
Remington 597
mndelta25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
how far can 20 gauge shotguns shoot
how far can shotgun pellets travel

how far do shotgun pellets travel

how far does a shotgun bullet travel
how far does birdshot travel
how far will 12 #4 guage steel shot fly
how far will 12 gauge birdshot travel
how far will a 20 gauge shotgun shoot
how far will a shotgun pellet travel
how far will no 8 bird shot go
how far will shotgun pellets travel
what is a safe distance shooting 20 gauge
Click on a term to search for related topics.