• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Are steel targets dangerous?

This is a discussion on Are steel targets dangerous? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Are steel targets dangerous? I am a newbie to range shooting and I was just curious....

Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52719
Are steel targets dangerous?

Are steel targets dangerous? I am a newbie to range shooting and I was just curious.
18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
XDTalk 85K Member

Member #: 14053
They can be if they are too close to the shooter. Ricochets have been known to cause injuries.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52719
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugger6 View Post
They can be if they are too close to the shooter. Ricochets have been known to cause injuries.

Thanks, how close is too close with a .40 cal ? I was going to ask about ricochets but I didn't know how to spell it.
18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
Thanks, how close is too close with a .40 cal ? I was going to ask about ricochets but I didn't know how to spell it.
Depends, it is a lot to do with physics. I can't say what a safe distance is myself but I usually don't get closer than 10 ft. Sometimes it is not ricocheting bullets, but fragments that can bounce back at the shooter depending on certain rounds.

E&E before CQB
Decisively Ambivalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 44190
I've shot 9mm and .45acp at 9-11 yds, no fragments came back at me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 36575
Usually about 10 yards is recommended. You can shoot steel closer if you have the targets leaning forward at 45 degrees to the ground. You still see almost all the target and the rounds are deflected down and away from your shooting position. Just remember that the closer you push the more vulnerable you become. Always wear safety glasses.
thenug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 35894
Make sure the target is directly facing you and not at an angle. That will help prevent ricochets. Based on the local Steel Shoots you will still get some flattened lead flying around.

Nice Nick, by the way. You into Mopars?

- Spike
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48783
I've been hit more than once by .45 rounds coming back, at 7-30 ft. You feel it, but it doesn't hurt.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 53613
I just built a swing style target set up that I can change out to different size targets....My targets are made of 1/4 steel.I have shot as close as about 10 feet.
The stand is amongst some cross ties and a couple of stumps...above it is a tree that the limbs hang over ....with that said I have shot approx 80 rounds and I have fragged the H*ll outta everything around it. I have knocked off limbs above also.
My rounds ,all which are FMJ 180 grain always flatten but I do see alot of splatter .
I have heard some horror stories of ricochet but I would be more concerned with fragments.
Safety is key....follow your instincts!!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 28550
Generally, I would avoid shooting steel and anything less than 15 yards. I've been hit with fragments at 25 yard indoor ranges when a neighboring shooter hit the edge of the bullet trap. No real damage done but it's a good reinforcement for wearing eye protection.
scooter123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
are metal targets dangerous

dangers of shooting steel targets

dangers of steel targets
do bullets ricochet off steel targets
hazards of steel target
metal target ricochet
metal targets ricochet
steel target danger
steel target dangers

steel target ricochet

steel targets ricochet?
will bullets ricochet off steel targets
Click on a term to search for related topics.