• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

OU Student Firearm Association

This is a discussion on OU Student Firearm Association within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey XDTalkers, Some background, I go to OU (Boomer Sooner!) and I find myself pretty disappointed that we dont have a shooting club. So, I ...

Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
XDTalk Member

Member #: 52774
Talking OU Student Firearm Association

Hey XDTalkers,

Some background, I go to OU (Boomer Sooner!) and I find myself pretty disappointed that we dont have a shooting club. So, I am starting one! We have alot done so far (me and some other students are working on it) but we need members! I dont know if any OU students actually come here but if you do and are interested send me a PM and I will fill you in.

Secondly, to the rest of the 'seasoned' members . My biggest concern is getting someone who doesnt necessarily know much about guns or is unsafe with firearms. Part of the requirements for membership is either: you must have completed a certified Hunter Safety Course, you must have a CHL, or you must be an active duty or reserve military member to be allowed to shoot. What do you guys think? Any suggestions about what might be a better idea?

Our meetings are going to cover safety, maintenance, LEO speakers, planning shoots, gun laws, etc. Anything that you guys think would be good ideas? These are broad ideas but they are things that I think would be beneficial. If anyone with experience in these areas and live around Norman I would LOVE to have some of you guys come in when we get the ball rolling.

Also, I would be interested in getting some sponsors to provide stickers, hats, etc. How would I go about doing that? I figure some of you are competition shooters and surely know someone to help out. Lastly, what kind of channels do you guys go through for donations and that kind of thing? Again, I imagine some of the pro/semi-pro guys have experience with this. We might try setting up some 'fundraiser' shoots where you donate $5 to shoot and we run a range for the day.

Even if you cant help with the above, any words of encouragement would be appreciated! I think it will be a daunting task but I think it is one worth doing and would benefit alot of students here who dont have a place to go to talk about firearms.
deerslayer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 23582
I am in the Norman area actually and I am surprised that OU didn't have a club like this. Good luck on starting it up. Sgt. Everett's would be a good place to check out in terms of sponsors, classes, ect. I know they have CCW classes and they also have a pretty decent size classroom. They may also be able to help out with providing instructors.

Eventually, you are going to want to open to club up to non-shooters as well. Starting off, I can see where you want people who already now about gun safety but the club could help spread shooting sports across OU if it became open to anyone. Firearm storage is another concern for students living on campus. My school ran into the same problem but thankfully we had plenty of friends who we could trust with safes and the local PD to let us store our firearms. One question though, is OU cool with you starting this club up? There is a chance, depending on how OU works club sports, that you may be able to receive help from them too.
109ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
XDTalk Member

Thanks for the reply haha, I was beginning to think it fell on deaf ears. I actually shoot alot at Sgt. Everretts and that was one of the first places I was going to go. I think he could do us alot of good by coming in and talking to us about laws and things of that nature.

We are welcome to non-shooters, but as far as shooters go we wanted to have some guidelines for who can and can not shoot in our club. As of right now we have about 20 people who are interested and about half are non shooters, so thats pretty encouraging.

We have talked to OUPD and they said they wont be able to store our firearms due to liabilities, but I didnt think to ask Norman PD. I will have to check that out for sure.

I am working directly with OU Student life on this project. They have actually been surprisingly helpful considering this is a fairly liberal campus for the area. All school clubs have to go through them and get alot of approval to get started up. We have a constitution, terms and conditions, liability forms, member req forms, and all that which is currently being looked at by the student government and Student Life. Hopefully we can get it running by Spring Break, I know thats when we want to start recruiting.

Another question you might know though, we are welcoming long gun shooters as well and want to find a good place for them to shoot. Right now we are looking into the Lexington Wildlife Area, which lets you shoot if you have a hunting license, but we would like to find a bit more formal range to go shoot that doesnt charge and outrageous member fee. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

The only place I can think of is the Canadian range out by El Reno. I haven't gone to it yet though so I don't know much about it. It is a hike to get there. Thats good that Student Life is helping you with this, it will probably make it easier to start it up and run.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
XDTalk Member

Ok, well thanks. I will have to give them a call and see what they have to say. Im really glad I got SOME feedback on this lol. When we get one actually started it and running smooth, we want to get some fundraising set up like I mentioned earlier. I will post up here and hopefully some people will come out and show some support. Maybe if I dont post it at 12:30 am...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

If you do a fundraiser, I will be more then willing to donate. Its nice to see clubs like this start up.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 109ace View Post
If you do a fundraiser, I will be more then willing to donate. Its nice to see clubs like this start up.
Thanks! When we get one started up and try to do one I will definitely let you know. I will just PM you once we get one going. And again thanks for the tips, definitely gave me some new ideas.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 16039
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer89 View Post
Hey XDTalkers,

Some background, I go to OU (Boomer Sooner!)

Secondly, to the rest of the 'seasoned' members . My biggest concern is getting someone who doesnt necessarily know much about guns or is unsafe with firearms. Part of the requirements for membership is either: you must have completed a certified Hunter Safety Course, you must have a CHL, or you must be an active duty or reserve military member to be allowed to shoot. What do you guys think? Any suggestions about what might be a better idea?

Even if you cant help with the above, any words of encouragement would be appreciated!
First of all,.... I'd like to offer my condolences.... GO HUSKERS!!!

Secondly, I don't know if requirements like that for new members would help much. Someone new to guns would be wise to get familiarized with them, but they may want to come with you or someone else with no pressure to pass a test or whatever. It also tends to eat up time & money for some of that stuff. Maybe to complete a course or obtain your CHL/CCW license within a year. Personally, if I was unsure about guns, I would want to be able to "try it before I buy it", if you know what I mean.

Lastly,.... words of encouragement...??? Sure,... even though I feel I need to give the sooner a good ribbing. Actually, it sounds like a good deal. I think you are definitely headed in the right direction. Don't let the club become the 'thing'. Keep the shooting and the socialization the "thing/focus'.

Let us know how it works out. I hope it's a go.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
XDTalk Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzmeister View Post
First of all,.... I'd like to offer my condolences.... GO HUSKERS!!!

Secondly, I don't know if requirements like that for new members would help much. Someone new to guns would be wise to get familiarized with them, but they may want to come with you or someone else with no pressure to pass a test or whatever. It also tends to eat up time & money for some of that stuff. Maybe to complete a course or obtain your CHL/CCW license within a year. Personally, if I was unsure about guns, I would want to be able to "try it before I buy it", if you know what I mean.

Lastly,.... words of encouragement...??? Sure,... even though I feel I need to give the sooner a good ribbing. Actually, it sounds like a good deal. I think you are definitely headed in the right direction. Don't let the club become the 'thing'. Keep the shooting and the socialization the "thing/focus'.

Let us know how it works out. I hope it's a go.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good idea to give them some time to complete the courses. Right now those are in place for the guys who actually plan on shooting. Non-shooters are always welcome to go to the range and participate in all activities, we are just a little concerned about getting a guy with a brand new toy who doesnt know what he is doing out there and getting someone hurt. I will have to discuss that with the other guys who are working with me, but it might be a better idea.

We are definitely working on making this a fun club. We dont want to be on a high horse of being part of the 'club', we want to just have an outlet for talking about firearms as this campus doesnt have one. It is a valid concern and one that we will have to keep a close eye on. We tried working in some safeguards in the terms and conditions that all members must consent to, but you are right and we will have to tread carefully as to not inflate our ego.

And hey, Huskers are a good team...but I bleed Crimson and Cream! haha
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Good news, we got our constitution approved by the University and are on the final stages of registration. In the meantime, we have set up a facebook page. For those interested in showing support for the First and Only shooting club recognized by The University of Oklahoma you can follow the link and show your support by liking us. We will be providing updates and news from the Student Firearms Association on here. Thanks.

Student Firearms Association | Facebook

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

advice, clubs, oklahoma, sooners, sponsors

Search tags for this page
does oklahoma university have a shooting team?
oklahoma university shooting sports
oklahoma university shooting team
oklahoma university student firearms association
oklahoma university student firearms club

ou shooting team

ou student firearms association
ou student gun club
ou student shooting clu
sargent everett gun range norman
sooner firearm association
university of oklahoma firearms storage
university of oklahoma handgun
university of oklahoma shooting sports
university of oklahoma student firearms association
when can you shoot at lexington wildlife ok
Click on a term to search for related topics.