• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Audio Receiver Recommendation

This is a discussion on Audio Receiver Recommendation within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Hey Guys, Just a couple of days ago my home theater audio receiver's front right channel started popping. It's a $360 Samsung AV-R720. I bought ...

Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 49972
Audio Receiver Recommendation

Hey Guys,

Just a couple of days ago my home theater audio receiver's front right channel started popping. It's a $360 Samsung AV-R720. I bought it as a home theater in a box system and it's done well for the almost 2 years I've had it. Anyway its out of warranty and I need to replace it.

Anyone have receiver recommendations? I'm not an audiophile so I don't want/need to spend much more then $300. Just looking for something that will power my 5.1 system and not break after 1.5 years.
xxkinetikxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Arrow Make sure it's not the speaker.

Popping is not a normal failure mode for a receiver. It's more likely a blown speaker. If the receiver died, the sound would be distorted, or it wouldn't work at all. The other thing that would cause popping is a bad connection somewhere, like a loose wire, or switch. If you can, switch the right and left speaker, and see if the popping moves with it. I'd hate to see you buy a new receiver to drive a blown speaker.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Deer Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
XDTalk 500 Member

Thanks for the reply Slayer.

I went through all the troubleshooting steps, switched speaker wires, speakers, etc.

The popping comes and goes as well. I've moved all of the speakers to see if there was some sort of interference but nothing helps.

I live in an apartment and I'm not "that guy" that blasts his stereo, heck its probably never been over half way up haha. I wish it was a blown speaker as I have 2 extras in the closet now
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 45419
I've had my samsung home theatre system for a little over 2 years with absolutely no problems. I buy everything samsung now. If you do end up having to replace it, I'd suggest one of the new samsung blueray home theatre systems. Their new speakers are awesome. Anyways, I do agree with Deer Slayer, seems like popping would be either a connection or speaker issue. Have you tried hooking up the speakers opposite each other (as in swapping the wires in the back) to see if it may be a wire or speaker issue?

EDIT: Nevermind... you posted as I was typing
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
XDTalk 500 Member

I used to be big into car audio and agree the popping sound was usually a blown speaker but just searching google for AV-R720 the first couple threads are about how the main board goes bad and snap/crackle/pop haha.

I love Samsung in general but my mom has had the same Pioneer receiver for 10 years and the damn thing is still running strong. Win some lose some I guess.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 15893
If you do end up with a new reciever, look at the Yamaha's.... Been a fan of them since Sansui sold out and became low end stuff....

Woof
Bowser

Armory Specifications & Inventory: TOP SECRET
Bowser4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 48119
See if this info on this link sounds like you problem:Samsung AV-R720 - front right speaker crackles - FixYa
Talks about the static/popping in the speakers

If you want a replacement Reciever try Crutchfield.com, i've been buying from these guys for 20+ years. free shipping, good return/replacement/upgrade policy.
They have reciever starting at $199 and up. Denon,Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony,etc.. They also keep a staff of Techs on 24/7 to help if you need them.
Good Luck

We defend our President with guns We defend our Congressmen with guns We defend our Governors with guns We defend banks with guns We defend our courts with guns,We defend our children with a sign that says THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE and then call someone with a gun if there's an emergency!
stuz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 49152
Sony STRDG720. Bought mine a couple years ago for 350, it is wonderful. If you can find one still it should be less than that, they have come out with more. It does support several HDMI connections, and 7.1and everything before it.

Ooh look
Sony STRDG720 7.1 Audio Video Receiver - Black:Amazon:Electronics Sony STRDG720 7.1 Audio Video Receiver - Black:Amazon:Electronics

185$

All my guns were stolen from my moms house by snow ninjas.

"My belief is that they were planning to hijack the coveted Mortal Kombat game unit." SPECOPs to Gecko45
Tornadic is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
audio static pop receiver
av r720 home theater in a box

crackling sound caused by receiver

how do you repair a stereo channel on a receiver

my stereo receiver has static
receiver crackling sound
samsung av-720 static

samsung av-r720 static

samsung receiver av-r720

samsung receiver static

samsung receiver static in one speaker
samsung stereo crackling speaker

speakers popping samsung receiver

stereo receiver making popping sound

stereo receiver popping

stereo receivers with statics
Click on a term to search for related topics.