• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Help choosing a home theater system

This is a discussion on Help choosing a home theater system within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I was in Sams Club today and decided to try the demo on these bose 2.1 speakers. Bose CineMate Digital Home Theater Speaker System - ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » Help choosing a home theater system

Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12708
Help choosing a home theater system

I was in Sams Club today and decided to try the demo on these bose 2.1 speakers.
Bose CineMate Digital Home Theater Speaker System - Sam's Club
HOLY SH*T! They literally blew me away.... The sound was outstanding to be 2 small speakers.... I almost bought it right then.. just due to how great it sounded.. but that's a lot of money.... I know you get what you pay for.

It'll be in a small'ish room.. not too big, not to small... Im just bored with my flat screen speakers... they sound good for tv... but gaming and movies, i want more.

Is $450 a good buy for these?

Any rec. on anything $300 and under? I thought about a Sony sound bar with the sub... but nothing sounds anywhere as clear and crisp as these bose speakers do.

OEF, AFGHANISTAN 2012-2013
beitzel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
XDTalk Member

Member #: 38957
I just bought this
Sony SoundBar Sony SoundBar
Its in a fairly small room but the sound is fantastic and I could see it working for even a much larger room. It definitely makes Call of Duty sound a lot cooler . All in all a great buy for under $300.
acwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
I never understood people and bose. They really aren't considered good home theatre speakers but people love them. Personally I would buy a decent denon amp and just buy good speakers are you can afford them.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 26790
If you're looking for something somewhat cheap, you can find pretty decent "home theater in a box" systems in the range of $300. I got a Yamaha set for my parents that is awesome. Just make sure if you do that to get one that actually has a receiver with multiple inputs rather than just a DVD player that has plugs for the speakers.
- Remington 870 Express
- Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
- Browning Buck Mark
Scottpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
SRD
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13092
If you go cheap in box set I remember onkyo used to make some decent ones. Not sure now though.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

-------------------------------------------------
Since my list was to long last time ill only put my favorite pistols

HKP7
CZ82
Browning Hi power
FN Hi power
Sig p232
Sig p220 Elite SS
NAA 22PUG
XD45
G19
G29
Norinco Ak47
FN PS90 SBR
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
Keep in mind the cheap box set receivers usually do not allow for HDMI video switching. You'll get to use the receiver, but maybe not how you'd like. IMO, if you're going to get a receiver it should do video switching.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
XDTalk Member

Member #: 35733
With bose your paying more for the name than the performance. I'd look into starting with used components as you can normally find good deals on craigslist or the like. Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon are all good brands. I picked up a refurbed Yamaha Rxv663 7.2 channel reciever for $300 last year. Best sounding receiver in the low-mid price range I've owned. Add a good set of bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer and you have a 2.1 system way better than any bose system. Slowly build up your system as your budget allows adding a center channel, floorstanding fronts and moving your bookshelf speakers as your rear or side channels, etc.

Be warned tho that home theater systems can be as addicting if not more than guns.
VDubbinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42224
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDubbinMI
With bose your paying more for the name than the performance. I'd look into starting with used components as you can normally find good deals on craigslist or the like. Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon are all good brands. I picked up a refurbed Yamaha Rxv663 7.2 channel reciever for $300 last year. Best sounding receiver in the low-mid price range I've owned. Add a good set of bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer and you have a 2.1 system way better than any bose system. Slowly build up your system as your budget allows adding a center channel, floorstanding fronts and moving your bookshelf speakers as your rear or side channels, etc.

Be warned tho that home theater systems can be as addicting if not more than guns.
This is on the right track. Personally I would avoid sound bar systems and those small speaker systems.

I would start out with a good receiver (Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc.) book shelf speakers (I recommend 6" woofers or larger) and a good center channel. Follow these purchases with your subwoofer and surround speakers (5.1 system, 7.1 is overkill)

I would also avoid big box stores for anything beyond the receiver.

I will close with the affirmative, I am an audio snob to a certain extent.
tizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 36612
Since you're willing to spend $450, spend $429 and be WAY ahead of that Bose 2.1 nonsense:

Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package with iPod Dock (Black): Electronics Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package with iPod Dock (Black): Electronics

This may be overkill for your needs but the point is is that you can get a sweet at least 5.1 system for less than Bose where you're paying for name over quality.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12708
I ended up getting this last night since it was on sale and Im moving into a room 1/2 the size of the 1 im in now....
Samsung - 2-1/2" Soundbar with Powered Wireless Subwoofer - HW-451

Sounds really good for the money.

OEF, AFGHANISTAN 2012-2013
beitzel15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

audio, system

Search tags for this page

2.1 home theater in a box, forum, other than bose

sams club bose $429

Click on a term to search for related topics.