• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Can modems go bad?

This is a discussion on Can modems go bad? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So for the past few months Ive been having intermittent problems with my internet connection. It will range from having to reload a page every ...

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39343
Can modems go bad?

So for the past few months Ive been having intermittent problems with my internet connection. It will range from having to reload a page every so often, to restarting the router and modem, to me yelling and cussing out bresnan (my ISP) cause nothing is making the net, work and its the only thing that keeps me from ripping the modem out of the wall and throwing it across the room. Now I do understand that from time to time the modem and router need to be restarted but when it happens everyday or multiple times a day that's not right. Also I know that during the peak hours the connection will get slow and will have more problems but when it happens at the wee hours of the morning or in the middle of the afternoon (1-4 pm) there's a problem there. I have gotten a new computer with windows 7 on it and it will tell me that there's network access but no internet access when I'm having problems. The modem in question is a Motorola Surfboard that is about 5 years old. Im not leasing it and I would prefer to not lease one if i can help it. Im running a newer (past year) linksys N router, and have an old WRT54G that I can hook up if needed. I have called bresnan out and of course they have stated that the problem is not on their end.

So any help would be appreciated in helping me with my internet problems.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
csutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 34520
yes, they can go bad, but its usually a line problem weakening the signal (but not enought to mess up the TV) in my experience.

corosion at a break or something would be my guess, a cable guy can check your signal at a few spots.

you can pick up a new modem for not too much cash, and call in to have them set up for the number on the modem. not too much hassle.
Groo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 4352
Yes, modems do go bad, but it may not be the modem.

Contact your ISP and start the problem solving from there.
"For those of us who exercised our privilege to serve our country, I can honestly say we did it proudly and shared a common bond of patriotism that those who were unwilling to answer our country's call will never understand or appreciate." - Dennis Foell
gsh341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
I've gone through 9 aDSL modems since I got DSL service.

They can and do go bad.

Have your ISP ship you a new modem (yes, it'll cost) or buy a new one for yourself. Plug it in, set it up and see if it fixes your problems.

If the problems go away - it's the modem
If the problems stay - return the modem and have the ISP come out and fix the lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39343
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh341 View Post
Yes, modems do go bad, but it may not be the modem.

Contact your ISP and start the problem solving from there.
tried that, they said that its not on their end (but of course they are gonna say that)

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
csutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #6
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 7918
We have the exact same problem with CenturyTel, crappiest "broadband" I have ever heard of.
Uzi, Sterling MK6, GSG-5.
Bersa Thunder 45, CZ75-SP01 Tactical, CZ75 Compact 40, DW CBOB 10mm,USP Custom Combat40, SA-1911,
XD-9 Service, XD-9SC Black, XD-9SC Bi-Tone, XD-40 Service Bi-tone, XD-45C Dark Earth, XD-45C Tactical Black,
Sig P228x2, Sig P220, Sig Mosquito, Steyr M9, Walther P-22, Beretta 92FS Inox
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 33037
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutke View Post
tried that, they said that its not on their end (but of course they are gonna say that)
Take your modem out of the question by just plugging the ethernet directly into your computer. If that gives you a steady signal with no intermittent breaks, you know its the modem.

A new modem is pretty easy to set up, and they aren't really that expensive anymore.
carhartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 48330
To isolate the problem, if possible, bypass your router and hook straight into the modem. That will eliminate the router as the cause. If you still see the same issue, then in some cases the ISP will replace the modem for you.

If you are on DSL, bad filters can be part of the problem as well. Like another user said, cables can be a problem. If for some reason you have crappy cables, sometimes too many cables that are incorrectly shielded can interfere with one another. Be sure to check that all cables and wires are properly seated.

I would also run a speed check at DSL reports by going here.

Speed Test : upload and download | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

This will let you see how good of a connection you have and any latency you might see via your ISP.

I just ran one from here (NC) and I get the following to NY.

9586 Kb/s Download
480 Kb/s upload
20 ms latency

You can and will see better, but this will give you a basis for comparison. Running the speed check will not give you any magic information, but if your speeds are way off from what I'm showing, it can give you some clues, particularly if your latency numbers are super high.

By the way, I'm on Time Warner.

Let's facelift bar!
Brent_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
I've been through 5 modems with my aDSL service over the years. What causes them to go bad is heat. Some of them get VERY hot and have poor ventilation.

Same for routers and switches. I've had to replace my switches a couple of times also.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49286
Try to find similarities with the problem in order to present a good case to the ISP. FOr isntance my modem always goes down when it is raining. This would alert them to the fact that water is getting into the line somewhere...

at first it sounded to me like a modem problem until u mentioned speeds dropping off later in the day.... i would run speedtest.net and pingtest.net to get some concrete stats and keep a log off them to rpesent to the ISP. Also take the router out of the loop.

BTW wireless or wired connection?
destinydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
do cable modems go bad

do modems go bad

do modems go bad?
do motums go bab
how do i know if my modem is going bad motorolla s85
how do i know my modem is bad q1000
how do you know if time warner modem is bad
how does modem on computer go
how often do modems break down
how often do modems go bad
how to tell if cable modem is bad
how to tell if dsl modem is bad
signs your modem is going bad
what happens when a modem goes bad
what is wrong when the moden go bad
what makes a modem go bad
Click on a term to search for related topics.