• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Can modems go bad?

This is a discussion on Can modems go bad? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Without reading 3 pages of replies, yes they can go bad. I just replaced two of them. Not a big deal at all. My TV ...

Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #31
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47466
Without reading 3 pages of replies, yes they can go bad. I just replaced two of them. Not a big deal at all. My TV was fine but my internet was just awful. Very slow to anything.
Wilson X-Tac .45
M&P9c
M&P 9
Sgt 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 AM   #32
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39343
So heres the typical speedtest result. This was done at ~1:15 in the morning and on the same wireless connection as the previous test.

Also here is the pingtest result.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
csutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #33
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415

That ping sucks. This is from my wireless connection. If I do it on the wired box it's much better.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #34
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415

Used a different server. Still on wireless.

Must be some line problems between here and Seattle.

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet

List of homonyms

Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #35
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 16410
About 6/15 I upped my Verizon DSL from 780k to 3mbs, had a couple issues with disconnects and such after the upgrade. 7/1 Verizon sold out to Frontier. Starting about 7/7 I started having a lot of disconnect problems.

I contacted Frontier and the next day they had a tech out. He showed me where the old modem had gotten hot, it had yellowed the bottom plastic. He replaced the modem and set it up for me. He also told me that Frontier used a different style of DSL than Verizon, Frontier uses aDSL.

I now get 3mbs dl and have had 1 disconnect since.

So yes, modems do go bad.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #36
df34adfe34

Member #:
But yes, just call your cable tech. It's the company's job to figure out what is going bad - no need to run out and spend money on a modem when that may not even be an issue.

Also, I assume you rent your modem like most other people with broadband. In that case, if the modem is bad, it's the company's responsibility to replace it, since it is their property. no need to spend your own money on a modem... unless you want to, of course. But in that case, tell your broadband company so they don't charge you for the rental anymore. Of course, the downside is that if the modem goes bad and you own it, you have to buy a new one.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #37
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 39343
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
But yes, just call your cable tech. It's the company's job to figure out what is going bad - no need to run out and spend money on a modem when that may not even be an issue.

Also, I assume you rent your modem like most other people with broadband. In that case, if the modem is bad, it's the company's responsibility to replace it, since it is their property. no need to spend your own money on a modem... unless you want to, of course. But in that case, tell your broadband company so they don't charge you for the rental anymore. Of course, the downside is that if the modem goes bad and you own it, you have to buy a new one.
No i purchased it many years ago. and ive been told that since i own my modem theres nothing they will do.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
csutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #38
XDTalk 15K Member

Member #: 38192
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutke View Post
No i purchased it many years ago. and ive been told that since i own my modem theres nothing they will do.
That's my story as well. I purchased my modem 6 to 8 years ago. For the last 3 weeks after a city wide electrical outage due to lightning my modem slowed me WAY down. After replacing the modem, my download speed has gone from .4/.6 Meg to 17.6 Meg. I'm only paying for 10 Meg service, so needless to say I am very happy with the performance of the new modem.

(Thanks, Huey Lewis)
tom_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #39
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS. View Post
He also told me that Frontier used a different style of DSL than Verizon, Frontier uses aDSL.
Verizon was telling you a fib, then.

The only DSL available to consumers is aDSL (and all the telecoms use it).

|
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #40
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 45721
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutke View Post

BS!! they are responsible for the signal getting to your modem. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, problems may be attributed to the splitters, cables, connectors, and the ISP tech is the guy who can test and replace those.

Don't let them buffalo you.

People who hate black rifles....are racist!
sdprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
bad lines best dsl modem
do cable modems go bad

do modems go bad

do modems go bad?
do motums go bab
how do you know if time warner modem is bad
how do you know if your moodem is going bad
how does modem on computer go
how often do modems break down
how often do modems go bad
how to tell if cable modem is bad
signs your modem is going bad
what causes modems to go bad?
what happens when a modem goes bad
what is wrong when the moden go bad
what makes a modem go bad
Click on a term to search for related topics.