• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

air compressor question

This is a discussion on air compressor question within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I don't know jack about air compressors or air tools but I would like to get one to make taking the wheels off/on my truck ...

Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13497
air compressor question

I don't know jack about air compressors or air tools but I would like to get one to make taking the wheels off/on my truck easier, and they are plain bad ass. Is this one up to the job of running all the air tools I'd likely ever want for working on my truck and my house? Is $70 a decent price? I want something cheap but I can wait for the right deal to pop up on craigslist. I just realized I need to change out a front wheel bearing this weekend on my truck so it would be cool to be able to take the wheels off and put em back on fast.

Craftsman 7 ˝ Gal. Air Compressor

Quote:
Sears Craftsman 1hp. 7 ˝ Gallon air compressor. 5.0 s.c.f.m. at 40 psi and 3.3 s.c.f.m. at 90 psi. The compressor is used but works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Member -------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
rockerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
XDTalk 5K Member

Or maybe this one if that one isn't good?

3 HP, 10 Gallon, 115 PSI Air Compressor

Quote:
Description of Central Pneumatic 90234
This 10-gallon compressor is rated at 3 HP, with 4 HP peak, and is powered by a heavy-duty motor with thermal overload protection. A clear-view window lets you see when it's time to refill oil. Easy-to-read pressure/regulator gauges indicate CFM and PSI. High-impact ABS shroud.
  • 4-HP Peak/3-HP Rated
  • Air delivery: 5.6 CFM @ 90 PSI, 7.2 CFM @ 40 PSI
  • Auto shutoff (115 PSI) and restart (85 PSI)
  • 10-gallon air tank
  • Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge
<table class="data-table" id="product-attribute-specs-table_1"> <col width="100%"> <tbody><tr class="first odd"> <td class="data last">120 volts, 15 amps, 60 Hz, 3400 RPM</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="data last"> 115 PSI max. working pressure</td> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td class="data last"> Air outlet: 1/4"-18 NPT</td> </tr> <tr class="even"> <td class="data last"> Cord length 6 ft.</td> </tr> <tr class="last odd"> <td class="data last"> Overall dimensions: 24-5/8" L x 13-1/4" W x 28-1/4" H</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Member -------
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 25708
The biggest thing to look for is the s.c.f.m and the tools you want to run. Some tools require more than others. The second biggest thing to look for is the tank size. If it's a smaller tank it will almost constantly be running.

The Central Pneumatic is from Harbor Freight. I would probably avoid that as it might be more trouble than it's worth. I was recently looking at getting an air tool setup, but a decent Craftsman compressor new was going to run me $300.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom... The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else... You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”
--Dr. Adrian Rogers
"The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest."
-- My wife
Wired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38760
Well, if you already have the craftsman, why not rent an air gun and see if it works to your liking?

Sometimes Lowes/Home Depot rent tools, and if they dont try a rental place. Give it a whirl.

Now, if you are looking for NASCAR speeds though...your compressor isn't going to cut it.

Edit:

I re-read your post. Looks like you don't own the craftsman. In that case, I'd say for the weekend rent a setup from a rental place and see if that fits your liking. You can either upgrade/downgrade based on your experience.
CMfromIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 49286
i ahd one very similar to the craftsman one you posted, i used it for eveything, except painting. I built my entire show truck using it. Like the other guy said i would try various tools with it and see what it will push.
destinydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 30023
3.3 cfm @ 90psi is a little low I think. I have a Crafsman and it's around 4.8 or 5 cfm @ 90 psi and it does an OK job. You'll also need to invest in a good air gun. That will have more to do with how fast your lugs come off than the compressor. If the compressor can't keep up, you'll end up waiting for it to fill the tank to get pressure for another shot with your gun. 4.5-5cfm @90psi works pretty good for impact guns and such, but if using somthing that has a lot of flow, like a die grinder or cutoff tool, you'll find you need to stop and let pressure build every few minutes. That's when a bigger tank really pays off.
Mossberg 590A1 9 shot w/ghost rings, M9 bayonet
Remington R-25 .308
rexracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 30019
Question Do you have a tractor supply near you?

I have this compressor, and it works for most stuff. It's about the best cheapie small compressor I've seen. If you use an impact with it, or any real air tool, be prepared to wait for it to complete it's fill cycle. With mine, I get about 2 lugnuts per fill cycle. It's pretty fast though, and it won't blow a 15a breaker like some small compressors! If you're smart, you'll wait for an old belt drive compressor to come up on craig's list. Much quieter, more air, and bigger tank.

JobSmart Air Compressor, 4 gal. - 3901726 | Tractor Supply Company

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." Adolph Hitler
I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge!!
Deer Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29139
Yeah, if you really want to be able to run an impact you need to step up in tank size...I bought a TSC kit that had compressor, tank, and several air tools. Yeah, the compressor hardly runs the impact. It will but its not great. There is just no substitute for a large tank on hi-flow tools.

Too many guns to list...but still not enough.
taylor6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor6400 View Post
Yeah, if you really want to be able to run an impact you need to step up in tank size...I bought a TSC kit that had compressor, tank, and several air tools. Yeah, the compressor hardly runs the impact. It will but its not great. There is just no substitute for a large tank on hi-flow tools.

What size tank is large enough that I should be able to rotate my tires without getting too frustrated with waiting for it? I'm fine with waiting but if it ends up taking an hour its not worth it.

Member -------
Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47350
if it's just for tires and you're not going to use it much, Harbor Freight has an electric impact drill that works pretty good......usually on sale around $40.

might get you thru till you find a really good deal on a bigger compressor.......cuz you'll always want a bigger one sooner or later.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
job smart 26 gal air compressor
jobsmart 10 gallon air compressor reviews
jobsmart 26 gallon air compressor review
jobsmart 26 gallon air compressor reviews

jobsmart air compressor

jobsmart air compressor owners manual
jobsmart air compressor review

jobsmart air compressor reviews

jobsmart compressor review
ta-25100vb
who makes jobsmart air compressor
zj3040sa
Click on a term to search for related topics.