• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Hidden vehicle compartments

This is a discussion on Hidden vehicle compartments within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; I carry a shotgun in the trunk of my car for anything situation that may pop up while traveling some of the rural areas of ...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
XDTalk 4K Member

Member #: 13287
Hidden vehicle compartments

I carry a shotgun in the trunk of my car for anything situation that may pop up while traveling some of the rural areas of southern Arizona. For those that don't know, it isn't exactly safe. I am a little leery of keeping the shottie in the trunk in case someone breaks into my car and steals it. I am thinking about building a shallow false wall behind the back seats out of plywood and carpet to match the car's interior carpet. If it is done right, it would appear like the back of the seats and I doubt someone doing a quick "smash and grab" would thoroughly check for the false wall.

So my question here is has anyone done anything like this? Made a hidden compartment in a vehicle to hide a firearm or other valuables?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson

Gun owner's prayer....
"Oh Lord, if I die, please don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her they cost."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
longtalltechsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 34944
What kind of car is it?

Most people don't usually bend over and look "up" in the trunk. It might be possible to hide it by attaching it with mounts to the underside of the top of the trunk. I'd think a typical smash and grabber wouldn't spend that much time to survey anything that wasn't just in plain sight.

Or you could just put a cable lock through the trigger guard.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 37756
Aren't hidden compartments in vehicles illegal?
quazy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43664
I've seen this done on street rods to hide battries or tools in the trunk.

I also lost all my guns in a terrible Boating accident. There seems to be alot of accidents these days.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
XDTalk Member

Member #: 47386
My Jeep has a pop down panel below the steering wheel. I've mounted my XD gear holster in there holding my 5" XD9 Tactical. I haven't attempted any major mod like you're planning though. Good luck, it's a great idea in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 46422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog625 View Post
My Jeep has a pop down panel below the steering wheel. I've mounted my XD gear holster in there holding my 5" XD9 Tactical. I haven't attempted any major mod like you're planning though. Good luck, it's a great idea in my opinion.
There are also companies that make lock-able drawers for under Jeep's seats. I've considered putting one under the rear seat of my Wrangler, mounting it so that the drawer slides into the passenger compartment as opposed to out the back of the Jeep and mounting something in there. I'm a little concerned about moisture but I suppose one could throw one of the gun safe dehumidifiers in there with it.

To the OP, I would use MDF (commonly used by custom car stereo installers) to make your box rather than plywood, etc. It will hold up better to the vibrations inherent to a vehicle.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
ADA
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 28660
Quote:
Originally Posted by quazy50 View Post
Not yet. Well maybe in California.
"The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.'" -Ken Konecki
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 28772
Quote:
Are hidden guns illegal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
|
|
nalioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 31069
What are the legalities of carrying a shotty around in AZ?

- Emergency Food Storage Solutions and Tactical Gear
Neo31rex31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 12586
Quote:
Hauling pot, coke, meth, illegal substances/people in illegal compartments is illegal...putting a compartment in your private property to hide your valuables isn't illegal..and if it is, it's proof positive the damn gubbermint has WAY TOO MUCH STINKIN POWER!
‎"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!" - Sam Houston
"quo vadis"
AwPhuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
custom hidden gun compartments for cars
gun compartments for cars

gun in hidden sidewall of car

hidden compartment vehicle chandler az
hidden gun compartments for cars
how to build secret compartments in your car
how to install a secret compartment in vehicle

how to make a secret compartment in a car

how to make a secret compartment in your car
how to make a secret gun compartment in truck
installing secret compartments in cars

trunk gun compartment

Click on a term to search for related topics.