• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

The magic number (bullet penetration)

This is a discussion on The magic number (bullet penetration) within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; Why is 12 inches considered the magic number for BULLET penetration when 3 inches is the magic number for KNIFE penetration? If a knife can ...

Breadcrumb Image XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box » The magic number (bullet penetration)

Old 09-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
The magic number (bullet penetration)

Why is 12 inches considered the magic number for BULLET penetration when 3 inches is the magic number for KNIFE penetration? If a knife can stab an organ 3 inches in, a bullet can hit the same organ 3 inches in.

I was contemplating this because of some flak I'm catching for using #4 shot in my 12 ga for HD. I chose #4 due to less over-penetration into adjacent apt rooms (I don't want to be a liability/statistic/on evening news). In ballistics tests #4 shot penetrates from 6-10 inches. That's enough to put a lot of pellets into the lungs, heart, liver, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 15720
a knife doesn't get slowed down by clothes/bone it has a driving force behind it.

a lot of those 12" bullets don't actually go 12" in a person. and if your talking about bleeding you need an exit wound for them to bleed out.

If your worried about overpenetration an ar15 has more takedown potential than a 9mm and goes through less walls, thats why the military and SWAT teams use it.

if you want shotgun. #4 birdshot probably won't cut it. maybe for a first round but if they are high you have to break them down. I know many in apartments that have single 0 buckshot or BB but #4 is way too light.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 47466
Boy, I'd hate to take a round of #4 shot close in. That being said, I have #4 buck for my shottie (somewhere). I still prefer a good ole .45. I also have a 6.8 SPC but I'd have to know something was up to get it out of the case in time.
Wilson X-Tac .45
M&P9c
M&P 9
Sgt 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
XDTalk 3K Member

Member #: 12708
I keep #7 in mine (i think)

It puts baseball size holes in 2x6's at 10 feet... id imagine it'd lay a hurtin on someone.

get a saiga 12 with a 20 or 40 round drum mag & fill it full of slug's!!!!

OEF, AFGHANISTAN 2012-2013
beitzel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 30452
You have to have an exit wound to bleed out? (Are you talking GSW or knife wound?)

I guess when I was an EMT, my instructors had it all wrong!

I thought all it took was an entry wound!

I keep 000 in my shotgun for HD, but I live in a house, not an apt.
Jarhead1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 43899
The longest distance I'd be shooting is down my hallway out towards the front door. It's about 10 yards max. Even with #4 shot, I can't imagine it not stopping or killing someone. I don't care about exit wounds or bleeding out, cuz that takes time. I just want the threat stopped. Whether or not he's dead or dies doesn't matter.

But I still find it ironic that it's 3" for a knife and 12" for a bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
Ocean82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 21415
It's 12" of penetration into ballistics gel.

Penetrating the skin is equivalent to around 3" alone.

Shooting through the average adult forearm is equal to around 9-10".

This Veteran is heavily medicated for your safety.

A lot not alot or allot
Threw, through, thru know the difference.
Your, you're
An or and
There, their, they're

Homonyms work sheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

List of homonyms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
Cannibul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 27123
Knife wounds don't need to go through arms first.

Bullets do.

Anyone who thinks that in a real life event that their assailant will be standing with their arms to the side, like a silhouette target, is living in a dream world.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding it's way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge".--Isaac Asimov
Cuda66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 38362
Why 12"? Dunno, maybe the FBI measured the distance the failed heart shot in the Miami shootout went and added 3" for good measure?

Tactical black cat - sleeps in doorways

A right unused become a privilege for the ruling class.

john_bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 46791
The FBI did do tests. They concluded that 12" was the optimal penetration distance for a bullet because no matter what angle you shoot a person's torso from, you will penetrate to a vital organ, even if it's from the most obtuse angle imaginable.

I would think that there are plenty of meth heads and druggies out there whose torsos arent even 8 inches thick. You shoot someone like that from the front, you better bet it's going through. But, no matter the angle from which you shoot, it should (supposedly) hit a vital organ.
apamburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page

10-12 inch bullet penetration

13 inches bullet penetration

bullet penetration [the] (xd)

Click on a term to search for related topics.