• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

First Time Picking Up A Guitar

This is a discussion on First Time Picking Up A Guitar within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So Sunday was the first time i've I ever picked up a (Acoustic) guitar with a will to learn and how to actually play. I've ...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 40024
First Time Picking Up A Guitar

So Sunday was the first time i've I ever picked up a (Acoustic) guitar with a will to learn and how to actually play. I've never really had any passion to learn an instrument (more of a sports/jock type of guy). Both of my brothers and and sister were/are in band and play some sort of music. I'm trying to find a new hobby and learn something different instead of playing video games. If I actually get good at this, I might venture on to play piano, which I love to hear some kick ass piano solos.

So help me out with links, videos, tips, suggestions, anything to get me started. I just need the very basic beginner stuff first. I can play the very beginning to "Sweet Home Alabama". It sounds like total crap right now but i'm just staring out. We'll see how far this goes. Thanks guys!
tazfootball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Official Site Vendor

Member #: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfootball2 View Post

So help me out with links, videos, tips, suggestions, anything to get me started. I just need the very basic beginner stuff first. I can play the very beginning to "Sweet Home Alabama". It sounds like total crap right now but i'm just staring out. We'll see how far this goes. Thanks guys!
My son, who is 7, just started to play. His first lesson was this past Friday. I am going to learn with him, as I too want to know how to play. I found there to be a lot of great videos on YouTube that will teach the basics. For now, I am learning the 1-2-3-4 scales just to get the required dexterity in my fingers.

We bought him the Fender value pack from Guitar City. Pretty awesome.

OS
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
XDTalk Member

Member #: 46467
My advice, from a former guitar and bass player, give it time and dont get frustrated. Guitar can be a "finese" instrument with all that could be going on at once with the strum pattern and hitting the right chords/notes.

My advice when trying to learn songs is to start out practicing the parts separately and slowly and as you master each part at a slower speed (compared to the actual speed of the song) start to speed up until you are on pace with the song
ImAuthenticFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
XDTalk 5K Member

Member #: 13881
Esteban is da man. I'm probably going to order me his DVD's for myself. Get a guitar out of it too. Don't know how good it is, but for the price, it doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I started to learn about 10 years ago, and taking private lessons was a slow process. It works for some, but it isn't for everyone it seems.

Esteban's Home page:
estebanmusic.com : welcome

Shop:
estebanmusic.com : welcome

Esteban on HSN:
Esteban Electronics at HSN.com

Esteban Reviews:
Esteban Guitar Reviews

Seems like the guitars are either really good or are pretty crappy, depending on who's review you read. I'm more interested in the lessons themselves, and I'll probably use the guitar as a "beater" guitar anyway if I get one.

Just an idea. For $200 which includes the DVD lessons, strings, and other stuff, it seems like a decent deal.

"The gun control mentality is ruthlessly absurd."
-Alan Keyes
Captain Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45815
+1 on learning songs over scales. I play for a living and only know 3 scales, and I've met kids that have been taking lessons for a couple of years, can play every scale in the book, yet can't put 3 chords together in any way that resembles rhythm. You can find chord sheets or "tabs" online to just about any song you could ever want to play. Spend $15 on a good capo so you can play along with your favorite songs while staying in the key of G, which is undoubtedly the first key you will learn. Chords are G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em, and F# but the ones in bold are all you'll need to play along with 90% of the stuff floating around out there.

The hardest part is sticking with it and being able to play along with Sweet Home Alabama will feel like a bigger accomplishment than being able to play the Am pentatonic scale, and accomplishing things is what encourages one to continue. Learn to play songs, that's where the love of the instrument is found!! You can always learn scales later.

A DISCLAIMER:: Most guitar teachers frown on this approach because you will more than likely pick up some "bad" habits that classical training would avoid. I know I do some things that aren't necessarily "correct", but at the end of the day I can play just about anything I want to, and I get paid to do it. If you want to be technically perfect then by all means take lessons, learn all the scales and theory that goes with it. But still rock some Skynyrd when the teacher isn't looking!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 40024
Well I finally posted a video of me playing. I'm not the best singer, since I hit puberty years ago, but I like to think i'm better than some on American Idol. LMAO!

tazfootball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 29650
Great job. You've come a long way in a short time. I've been playing electric and acoustic (self taught) for thirteen years and still can't sing while I play. OK......maybe a couple, but typically the chord changes and the lyrics start to get out of place if you know what I mean.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Old Timer

Member #: 20418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfootball2 View Post
Well I finally posted a video of me playing. I'm not the best singer, since I hit puberty years ago, but I like to think i'm better than some on American Idol. LMAO!

YouTube - ‪Cover of Seminole Wind by John Anderson‬‏
Taz;
Brother I say you got balls just putting yourself out there..

I thought you did rather well..

I've got a junk Strat I rebuilt years ago for the kids to play and want to learn to play it.
I've rebuilt 4 electric guitars in the past 5 years, but still can't play one..

My son has a Schecter electric and an Ovation acoustic electric I bought him, he plays pretty good.
I've always wanted to learn and will some day..
1lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
MFE
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 45566
Nice job, brother. That's what it's all about!

For other beginners, learning to play the guitar is complicated by a few things.

1) It's not linear like a keyboard is
2) The "action", or the height of the strings off the fretboard, varies from guitar to guitar
3) The width of the neck varies from guitar to guitar
4) The weight of the strings, and therefore how hard you have to press them to get them to fret successfully, varies with gauge and age

I am not a person to blame a person's tools or instruments for his peformance, BUT, if you have a ****** guitar, you will be more frustated than necessary. So put the guitar in the hands of somebody who knows how to play and ask them if it's at least "OK". If not, get rid of it and start over with something else. It doesn't have to cost a fortune, you can get a decent playing guitar for under $200 and buy yourself a few sets of strings so you can keep them fresh.
MFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
XDTalk 10K Member

Member #: 21433
Ive been playing since 2001, and have collected myself 6 Fenders and a Gibson.

Learn the basic chords of C G D Dm E Em F and B and you can play versions of most pop and country songs. Youtube is a great place for tutorials. My favorite for acoustic versions of modern songs is acousticspearchucker one youtube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
afmo is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
first time ever picking up the acoustic guitar

first time picking up a guitar

first time picking up an acoustic guitar
frist time to pick up a acustic where to start
how to learn to play the guitar first time picking one up

i just picked up a guitar for the first time...what now?

my first time pickin up a guitar what can i play?
picked up guitar first time at 40
picking up an acustic guitar for the first time
picking up guitar first time

picking up guitar for first time

picking up the guitar for the first time

quotes first time picked up guitar
the first time i've picked up a guitar

when first picking up a guitar

Click on a term to search for related topics.