• Gallery
  • Social Groups
  • Search
  • Today's Posts
  • Mark Forums Read
  • Register
  • Advertise

Cost of opening a gun store?

This is a discussion on Cost of opening a gun store? within the XDTalk Chatter Box forums, part of the XD Talk category; So my brother and I where talking today about the lack of a gun store in the Laveen, Az area. (except walmart if you want ...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 39263
Cost of opening a gun store?

So my brother and I where talking today about the lack of a gun store in the Laveen, Az area. (except walmart if you want to count them)

There is plenty of commecial property in the area, and the community has grown a lot. Generally I believe there is a market to be tapped into out here.

With that said I am a poor college student, and wouldn't have the Monitary resources to pull off opening a store.

But I have to ask how much does everyone think it would cost to open a small size shop?
we're talking having maybe 40-60 new semi auto pistols, 20 wheel guns, 10 Ar-15's, 10 shot guns, 10 bolt action or semi auto rifles (10/22's, remington 700's ect) assorted ammo, some shirts, hats, gun cleaning stuff, holsters, magazines and a few other small things.

I was thinking $250k, remember that they buy guns at a cheaper price than they sell for. anyway just wondered what everyone here thought it would cost.
Thefatgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42434
Having started a business myself (and needing to close it within 2 years). I can tell you that once you have figured out what you THINK it'll cost to open the store, mulitply that number by 4. There are always things that change, and having more money to start allows you the time to become established without making rushed/rash decisions. I'm sure others have been successfull on less, but I wouldn't start a business without a sizable cushion again.
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Ruger M77 mkII .30-06
Stoeger Condor 20 ga.
DPMS LR-.243

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 post(s).
leverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
XDTalk 1K Member

Member #: 44635
Depends...

What does a FFL cost in your area (or in general)?

What can you find for rent in a building?

I actually think 250 sounds a little steep, but I have no real basis for this.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 11982
I would make sure to have a years salary in the bank. That's a hard market to get into and make a profit. There isn't much money in guns sales.
Tyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
XDTalk 100 Member

Member #: 42485
I would also want to know how much fire-theft-liability insurance would cost on such
a venture.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
XDTalk 1K Member

FFL is $200 + $90 for a renewal for a dealer.

the great thing about the area is that commercial property is open, heck within a 2 mile area there are 5 properties that have ample area available to rent, for a small gun store. So if i went to guy #1 and he wanted $1000 a month, i'd go to guy #2 and say #1 wants $1000 what can you do? and I keep doing that till i get the lowest cost, in a place that I think will be good for business.

250 doesn't sound steep to me, think about it i have to order 60 guns at an average of $400 (semi autos) 20 wheel guns @ $400, 10 Ar's at $1000, 10 shotguns @ $300, add in carrying mags for different guns, and holsters. not to mention the amount of ammo i'd have to order.

add in the cost of advertising, maybe run a radio add, place a add in the paper, sponsor some IDPA/USPSA, maybe a free BBQ, it adds up.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
XDTalk 2K Member

Member #: 44460
Disclaimer: I am NOT, repeat NOT trying to pee in your cornflakes, but...

There are a lot of other factors involved, so make sure you do a LOT of research.
For exmple, just because there aren't any gun stores, does NOT mean there aren't a butt-load of FFL's in that area. You would possibly be competing against sites like Buds, Gunbroker, Auction Arms, etc.
It IS the age of the internet, so, just something to think about.

There are other things to think about as well, but I DO wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
df34adfe34

Member #:
It's said that most small businesses fail because they're under capitalized. Supposedly you should have a plan to be able to pay all the expenses and your employees for three years (!) without making any profit, since it often takes that long to start turning a real profit.

Also, the BATFE can be ruthless. They love shutting down gun stores for no reason over the smallest of so called infractions. You have to be careful.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
XDTalk 1K Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredshs View Post
I would also want to know how much fire-theft-liability insurance would cost on such
a venture.
Not sure. I know a small gun store has been open for years and hasn't been broken into since 1983.

I'm sure it would be more than if you where to open a nail salon.

NOTE: I am not opening a gun store, just wondered on how much people thought it would cost to open.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
XDTalk 500 Member

Member #: 41946
120 guns * 400 per gun=48,000
Figure on at least two glass display cases for the pistols, good lighting, flooring, safes, cash register, credit card processing, basic tools for mounting scopes and other accessories.
I would think that 250k might open the doors, but I think you would need quite a bit more to operate it. Don't forget that people can dispute credit card charges or bounce checks, so you will have to be prepared for that.

I would also find a respected local gunsmith and establish a relationship with him or her so that you have a reliable source of gun repairs that may not go to a factory.

I would plan on having at least one year of living expenses set aside to allow time for the store to become profitable.

My LGS is about 45 minutes away, so I have also considered the possibility of opening my own shop, and I wish you luck in your potential endeavor.

P.S.-my opinion and a dollar would almost score coffee at McDonalds, to take it for what it's worth.
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source! » XD Talk » XDTalk Chatter Box

Search tags for this page
cost to open a gun shop
gun shop price to get started

how much does it cost to open a gun store

how much does it cost to open up a gun stop and shop
how much to open a gun store
how much would it take to open a gun shop

how to open a gun shop

how to open a gun store

how to start a gun shop

how to start a gun store
how to start your own gun shop
how to store handgun
is it hard to open a gun store in florida

opening a gun store

to open a gun store in ga
what does it take to open a gun store
Click on a term to search for related topics.